Good institutions to learn Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi All,

Thinking of learning Japanese. Can anyone recommend a good institutions with good tutors for learning Japanese? Please also state your experience, if any, and the tution fees.

Thanks in advance.

Good stuff. Thank you. Are you one of the student there? Any experience to share with us? :)

yup, few years ago. I attended till intermediate 1 and gave up. Int 1 will learn kanji, "traditional chinese"...chinese word but read in japanese! They hv test and oral. If u follow the lesson no problem passing it.

You'll learn read, write, grammer and some conversation. After learning I didn't use, now return to them liao :bsmilie: If u continue, within 1 yr wll finish all the course. Some sch will need 3 mths or 1 yr for each level.

I chose this sch cos of the short duration.

yup, few years ago. I attended till intermediate 1 and gave up. Int 1 will learn kanji, "traditional chinese"...chinese word but read in japanese! They hv test and oral. If u follow the lesson no problem passing it.

You'll learn read, write, grammer and some conversation. After learning I didn't use, now return to them liao :bsmilie: If u continue, within 1 yr wll finish all the course. Some sch will need 3 mths or 1 yr for each level.

I chose this sch cos of the short duration.

It looks like the course that they teach is very systematic and it's patented. Is there really a short-cut in learning a language, especially such a difficult language such as Japanese?

It looks like the course that they teach is very systematic and it's patented. Is there really a short-cut in learning a language, especially such a difficult language such as Japanese?

i agreed, no short cut to the language...the course is quite easy to follow and understand. I see some of the classmate able to understand more than me...i'm the lazy one ;p If u put in effort and try using it everyday, should be ok...u hv to decide which sch.

Practice is the key. The schools will probably give you lots of homework too :)

Aside from the usual schools courses are conducted at CCs as well, some by Japanese natives too IIRC

You can try http://japanese.meetup.com/7 for some discussions on the various schools too.

I did a 4 years certificate course in Japanese. I can still remember most of it although I don't use it now.

When I was learning it I was fortunate to have a Japanese friend whom I met every weekend to practise Japanese conversation with.

Learning a language requires time and effort. I don't think there is a short cut for it to be good in it.

I have enjoyed learning it.

i agreed, no short cut to the language...the course is quite easy to follow and understand. I see some of the classmate able to understand more than me...i'm the lazy one ;p If u put in effort and try using it everyday, should be ok...u hv to decide which sch.

Thanks. Looks like Bunka is a good start to learn Japanese. I'll enroll with a friend at the end of the year. Got kaki better. Can practise with each other. :)

Aside from the usual schools courses are conducted at CCs as well, some by Japanese natives too IIRC

You can try http://japanese.meetup.com/7 for some discussions on the various schools too.

I did a 4 years certificate course in Japanese. I can still remember most of it although I don't use it now.

When I was learning it I was fortunate to have a Japanese friend whom I met every weekend to practise Japanese conversation with.

Learning a language requires time and effort. I don't think there is a short cut for it to be good in it.

I have enjoyed learning it.

Thanks for the input my friends. Will work hard. :)

Jap is easy. My friend worked in Jap for a few years. Now she is able to read and understand. Of course, not 100% but she can read jap website, can understand and get the gist of jap drama though she hasn't gone through formal classes.

Practising and talking to Jap is very important. One friend who got up to intermediate in a school in Bugis few years ago but by now she forgotten most of it and can barely understand jap anime and drama. Another friend who worked in Jap for a few years, now can understand and speak. Of course, the latter is not as accurate as the former but at least hers is practical and usable.

languague not easy .....10yrs ago learn to intermediate... i now also give back 70% ... watching and listening esp. songs help :)

languague not easy .....10yrs ago learn to intermediate... i now also give back 70% ... watching and listening esp. songs help :)

Not true. If you are focusing on all the details such as grammar, structures, it made your language learning very dry. But that's the formal and correct way.

Look at kids, they are learning languages by listening and talking before they have formal grammar classes and they can speak before first school.

I find that adults always afraid to speak because of dun want to sound silly.

When learning a language, the chance to practice - speak to native very important. I have plenty of friends in real life example of how they successfully learn languages like Jap, German and so on.

Not true. If you are focusing on all the details such as grammar, structures, it made your language learning very dry. But that's the formal and correct way.

Look at kids, they are learning languages by listening and talking before they have formal grammar classes and they can speak before first school.

I find that adults always afraid to speak because of dun want to sound silly.

When learning a language, the chance to practice - speak to native very important. I have plenty of friends in real life example of how they successfully learn languages like Jap, German and so on.

:x seldom keep in contact with my old friends who like those jdrama. was fun when i was studying :) ,
used to have a jap colleague and during lunch i would suddenly think of a jap word, then mention to her ... then my colleague would scratch her head thinking i was speaking in english or chinese hahaha :sweat: quite funny as they are dam polite hahaha

:x seldom keep in contact with my old friends who like those jdrama. was fun when i was studying :) ,
used to have a jap colleague and during lunch i would suddenly think of a jap word, then mention to her ... then my colleague would scratch her head thinking i was speaking in english or chinese hahaha :sweat: quite funny as they are dam polite hahaha

the more practice, the better.

I dunno anything about Cantonese, Hokkien and Teochew but I learnt by being with elders and relatives around me who speak. Also I like to watch Cantonese drama.

Though these are dialects, may not be directly applicable.

What I mean is the more we are immerse into the language, the better.

My dialect "accent" and pronounciation are probably fake-sounding but at least I can roughly understand and the recipients can understand what I am speaking. :embrass:

Don learn jap because u wanna work in jap company. Im working in one.. and it totally sucks working with japs.......LOL u will know it once u got in. Of cos not all company are like mine. As in not all japs are like those in mine.

Don learn jap because u wanna work in jap company. Im working in one.. and it totally sucks working with japs.......LOL u will know it once u got in. Of cos not all company are like mine. As in not all japs are like those in mine.

My fren who worked in Jap company told me all the horrible things :sweat:
Now she is back in S'pore in a different company... in bank and not so lucky too as her salary increment is freeze and despite that, the workload is ever increasing.
She seems to be always jumping from one **** hole to another

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.