Good Headphones / Earphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor

May 3, 2003
Woody Land
www.razin-photography.com
HI Everyone,

I take the train and use my Ipod and the bundled earphone to listen to music. To overcome the noise of the trains, I tend to push up the vol quite high. Overtime, i think there is some bad effects of loud earphones to the ear.

I thought of buying a set of headphones/earphones to block out the noise so that I dun have to push up the vol of the Ipod too loud. Any recommendations?

You might want to look at what they call In Ear Monitors, or IEMs for short. Basically they are earphones with silicone/foam tips to act as isolating "ear plugs", blocking out the surrounding noise.

Some brands off my mind (around in the $150+ range and below):

Westone UM1 - I'm using this.
Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3
Shure, etc

It is very important to try them out first before buying, as the fit of the earphones to your ears is crucial. Suggest that you try them out at either Jaben (@ Aldephi - they've got a forum as well), or Stereo Electronics @ Causeway Point (sgHeadphones forum).

HI Everyone,

I take the train and use my Ipod and the bundled earphone to listen to music. To overcome the noise of the trains, I tend to push up the vol quite high. Overtime, i think there is some bad effects of loud earphones to the ear.

I thought of buying a set of headphones/earphones to block out the noise so that I dun have to push up the vol of the Ipod too loud. Any recommendations?

Use in ear ones.

If you are into strong, engaging bass and good details, i'd recommend the Futuresonics Atrio. I own it and i LOVE it to bits.

Creative EP-630 :thumbsup:

You might want to look at what they call In Ear Monitors, or IEMs for short. Basically they are earphones with silicone/foam tips to act as isolating "ear plugs", blocking out the surrounding noise.

Some brands off my mind (around in the $150+ range and below):

Westone UM1 - I'm using this.
Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3
Shure, etc

It is very important to try them out first before buying, as the fit of the earphones to your ears is crucial. Suggest that you try them out at either Jaben (@ Aldephi - they've got a forum as well), or Stereo Electronics @ Causeway Point (sgHeadphones forum).

I second the Westone UM1. Get it with the amp at Jaben. The amp really makes a difference in sound quality.

I'm using Westone UM2 and UM56,
I think it's a really great combination :)

I play my sansa clip at minimum volume 1, and it's loud enough.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I guess i have to go to these shops to hear it and see which one fits my ear and my budget!

:)

in places as noisey as trains (NEL is quieter), i wonder if better in-ear phones are discernably better.

there are cheaper alternative too. Panasonic, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Sony, Philips & Creative can be had for under $160, most models.

What's your budget by the way?

And what kind of music do you listen to?

in places as noisey as trains (NEL is quieter), i wonder if better in-ear phones are discernably better.

there are cheaper alternative too. Panasonic, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Sony, Philips & Creative can be had for under $160, most models.

I agree with you, the average person, like myself, probably can't discern the difference between most headphones in the same price range.

However, when I tried the combination of the amp with the UM1 headphones, I was blown away. In this case, I guess the amp was the major contributing factor.

I agree with you, the average person, like myself, probably can't discern the difference between most headphones in the same price range.

However, when I tried the combination of the amp with the UM1 headphones, I was blown away. In this case, I guess the amp was the major contributing factor.

as far as they go those in-ear earphones are also dependant on external environment as they do not totally shut noise out.

i do not own the UM1, so i can't really comment on it. but i guess the Sennheiser would suffice for most. while each time a TS ask for suggestion on a product. there will be those recommending the sky, sometimes despite a cap on budget. but not this case... :dunno:

my Sony MDR-EX71 is a good combo for its price, performance & durablilty. with a little TLC on my part, it last for another few more years. :cool:

You should try the Shure and Audio Technica ones out. I don't know which model i am using but it's a Senheiser HEADPHONE, so noise cancel is quite good... and usually have to turn up my volume to about only half on the IPOD. I don't really know the models i just go down and try them if they are good, get them. The senheiser headphones are good but the in ear earphones i won't really recommend them if at that price get the Audio Tech one

just a little break down for the entry lvl IEMs,
for best comfort, Westone's UM1
for good music quality, Ultimate Ear's Super Fi 3 (SUBJECTIVE, i like the signature of UE compared to Shures. If u can get use to the design, it wouldn't feel uncomfortable after a week or so...)
for a mix of both, Shures have a few, dont look pass the older series, cause they are really decent still.

BTW, if ure totally just about noise cancellation and not so much abt sound quality, do check out Etymotic Research or smth like that.... not sure of its spelling.

Last edited:
HI Everyone,

Hey brudder....abit of a grandfather story from me.

Alot of the high end ones mentioned here which seem the predictable "norm" everytime someone asked for a recommendation like it's 'those' or nothing and let cost be damn. blah blah blah.

"Bad effects of loud earphone to your ears" as you mentioned. If that is something already effecting you at this stage... think practical and stop wasting more money on a pair of high fidelity this or that brand and price.

You are using it in the MRT most of the time I would wager. Like you I too take the MRT. And I know what you mean by drowing out the damn white noise and boh liao chatter around you as there are more irritating noise you just don't want to heard or be distracted but unfortunately..you will heard it even with the best headset. You can only minimise it and you don't need a pair of $100 to 600 plus dollar headset to do it.

I use two types...one with cushion padding so that it covers my ears (but not entirely like those big muffs type) and the other is an in-earbuds which like some of them here have mentioned, this you plug into your ear channel which offers a good seal due to a spherical silicon or rubber bulb to snugly hold itself in place in your ear. It would feel weird at first as you get this feeling like you gone swimming under water and water got into your ears and it feels..."stuffy" and sound around you are muffled heh. You get that "peeeee" kinda perceive sound like you are in a very quite room. It is only when you switch on your audio player that you start to feel better.

Ipod earpiece are some of the worst junk they make...quality wise and it tend to fall out easy...at least for me. BUT it has it's place in the audio world as some people do not totally want to be totally excluded from the rest of the world around them. Headset like this ensure you still are able to hear other stuff around you so you do not forget to disembark from the train when you reach your stop!!! heheh.. Trust me..it happened to me (more then a few times) when I was not looking and enjoying my music too much and I could not hear the overhead speaker system of the train.

Do you need all those flashy expensive headsets? Well...how badly damaged are your ear for one thing. Another thing is what kind of music you listen to or do you listen to alot of podcast which is spoken audios?

For music...you made the mp3 yourself and are they of the highest quality in terms of compression rate? If most of your songs are compressed to 98 to 128 bits then why waste money on headsets costing as much as a mid-price ipod? If you listen to super high quality recording like 320bit or using lossy compression or use it at home on your expensive hif equipment ..etc ....well maybe you should pay that kind of money buy one but then again as you said ...have your ears been damaged that you can not decern the difference.

Some people are not comfortable with in-ear plugs. And also if you have a habit of blasting your music..this will damaged your ears alot quicker. In that case, you should try those cushion padded ones. You don't need to look dorky getting those Alien large pro-audio monitor ear muffs ( again if your ears are already damaged or well you can't decern between quality music sound and average) you can get like what I have from Sennheiser PMX200 or the likes of it which has a good dynamic range. It is abit pricey at $133 but they have something abit cheaper below $90 which is almost as good...not so much the sound but the padding and how it wraps around my head in my opinion was what sold me..oh yes...the bass was alittle better. What I am saying is....for about $60 to $90 you can get a pretty good pair of headset.

For in-earbuds , I got myself a Sony and it was only $44, took a risk getting it as no way they let me try first( which is not uncommon with most shops) and it was a bargain as it turn out to be pretty darn good! I can't recall the model at this time in the office but it has these silicon hooks as optional so you can hook the earpiece over your ear lobe from the top and drop downward where you plug it into your ears as some find it better this way or remove the soft hooks and just plug it in. They sound pretty darn good. Okay it looks something like this and maybe this is the new replacement to mine...not sure about it is about $38... check it out. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665376485 Use your iPod's built in Equaliser and you sould be pretty happy with it. Just don't drive it too loud. You don't need to get what I did but you get the picture of what I am talking about.

These days youngters and young adults add amps to boost signal and get other third party hardware to clean up the sound, up the bass..etc. Wait till they reach our age like you and me...then see how much hearing ability and sensivity they loose with indescriminate blasting into their ear channels. Sometime it is not just how loud but how long they keep listening for long hours on end without a break.

We loose hearing as we age. And for some of us we lose it quicker due to working the ear's internal sound receptors or sensory too hard with loud music and kinds of music. Those fine hair-like sensors inside your ear that reacts to sound vibration will start to loose their coating and same as nerves..once you lose the coating, it does not repair itself or grow back. This coating and other component wears down permanently. When you are young you don't notice this but as you get to about 30s it already starts. That's where you start to play your music louder but you might not notice it as there is nothing to measure it but if you do have a means to measure it you will find you are playing it louder then say you are in your 20s or teens.

Okay too long winded here...what I am saying is...don't get sway or too excited that you end up buying something that if your ears are already slightly "worn-out" you will not really be hearing everything to fully appreciate the big amount you will be spending on a new headset. Buy camera\lens better heheh.

If you listen to audible books or podcast like me...$30 to $50 already buys you a good pair of in-earbuds like what I use or padded small headset over the ears wuld do too. As I said....if you don't really want to totally filter out the whole world then something like the ipod ones are fine. I use something like that when I cycle occasionaly if I just want to add some music to my ride..that way I can still hear the traffic around me, not get distracted and still motivate me to ride heh

After establishing the better brands in the market, I like to shop by price ranges these days for one good reason...most shops...they have NO SAMPLE FOR YOU TRY most of the time. It is almost a gamble. Sure the very expensive ones has ( in limited places) but for others..well even if there is...it is limited. Also for reasons of cleaniness...would you plug one on that has been used and you can see ear waxs on it? yuck!. So buy branded ( like some of those mentioned here but give the sllightly lower price range some consideration) and well $50-70 buys you a pretty good one in my opinion as a 40 yr old who use it outdoor in public train who just want to filter out most of the exterior sound in a train about 10 feet radius. If I want to play my audiophile equipment and CDs...I would be at home not roaming the street. How to enjoy the best sound while on the move?

Reviews can also be subjective as one man's meat is another's poison. I know I am not give you any clear winner as to what to buy but maybe something to keep in mind. :)

i do not own the UM1, so i can't really comment on it. but i guess the Sennheiser would suffice for most. while each time a TS ask for suggestion on a product. there will be those recommending the sky, sometimes despite a cap on budget. but not this case... :dunno:

you notice that too har?..simple reason don't you think why that is the case heheheh....

Status
Not open for further replies.