Good food in Penang, please contribute here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
From these threads here and here,

I've decided to go Penang on my own from 22nd (Sat) to 27th (Thu) April 2006.

Personally, i'm a food lover. I can eat a lot a lot of meals in a day, and i'm still skinny...

Since Penang has a lot of good food, please PLEASE recommend me some of the best places i can taste them, so i won't settle for anything lousier. :)

Gourney Drive - 'Lor Bak' also try their laska, all fishy, black and sourish type, simply delicious.

kenele said:
Gourney Drive - 'Lor Bak' also try their laska, all fishy, black and sourish type, simply delicious.

Penang Char Kway Teow... once u tried that, u will never want to eat Singapore's CKT again
:thumbsup:

I vow to tat too....
I tried the best char Kuay teow at penang.... costing me RM7.50 per plate from a roadside store... veri expensive hor:D ....
But after i tried that ... Spore CKT sucks so bad...haha

U must also check out their RoJak and Chee chong Fun... All diff from Spore...
They use lots of prawn paste in it... Rojak still have Sotong and meat ball one... realli nice!:cool:

707_FIRER said:
I vow to tat too....
I tried the best char Kuay teow at penang.... costing me RM7.50 per plate from a roadside store... veri expensive hor:D ....

So expensive?!?!?! Horrifying!

Anyway keep the list going :) :)

Get real man, ppl from penang NEVER eat at gurney cos the food there is EXPENSIVE and not tat nice...

if you drive, seek up Jalan Selamat, there's a old shop tat sells char kue tiao damn nice one... but buziness too good, during ppl queue up with plates in their hand waiting for it... and and ya, dun forget to order the Ice Kacang... tat's wut u call REAL Ice kacang...

Go anywhere, but stay away from gurney if you drive... serious....;p

707_FIRER said:
I vow to tat too....
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: ...

Now tat's wut I call ripoff... a major one... elsewhere only selling for 2-3 ringgit max

RM12 for a plate of chicken rice in Genting and people still flogging for it...so RM7.50 is okay if it taste good :lovegrin:

Big Kahuna said:
RM12 for a plate of chicken rice in Genting and people still flogging for it...so RM7.50 is okay if it taste good :lovegrin:
Erm... penang living standard is pretty low... not like genting... BUT~~ of course there is no harm if you like getting rip off...:bsmilie:

oh ya oh ya, if ever go by Batu Fringgi, go scout out, there is this PAPA Burger around there... damn nice... hope it's still there...;p

RossChang said:
oh ya oh ya, if ever go by Batu Fringgi, go scout out, there is this PAPA Burger around there... damn nice... hope it's still there...;p

Great! I will pass by there, will be renting a car and drive around (if it stays within my budget) :)

where is Jalan Selamat? At Georgetown of elsewhere? I want to be able to QUEUE for my food with the LOCALS! :)

For CKT ask around for a shop called "Jie Mei CKT"- translated as SIsters CKT, one of d best in penang, big prawns with crab meat for around RM4-5

Some good haunts in penang would be - Lorong Selamat(Very near city centre bus terminal), Swatou lane (good ice kachang + oth hawker food), Kimberley Street (walking distance from Penang Little India area) very tasty chendol...

Also not forgetting if u r staying up late, patronize the mamak stalls for their sumptous spread of diff kinds of prata (called roti canai[pronounced CHanai]). these mamaks are located all over penang sure can find one near the place you are staying.

Just dun blame me if you put on a few kilos after following this guide:sweatsm:

BTW at all cost stay away from GURNEY DRIVE hawker centre.. its a real ripoff... Most of the places are located within Georgetown itself... Batu Ferringhi also try not to patronize the food outlets rather expensive cuz all tourist price...

behyx said:
Great! I will pass by there, will be renting a car and drive around (if it stays within my budget) :)

where is Jalan Selamat? At Georgetown of elsewhere? I want to be able to QUEUE for my food with the LOCALS! :)
Its LORONG Selamat actually... if u r driving look for SUNWAY HOTEL dats where lorong selamat is(only night time business)....

For Swatou lane its only day time and its located in one of the small lanes behind SHERATON GEORGETOWN

Thanks a million moriahphotos,

wonderful information :) Will note them all down!

I don't mind putting a few kilos. I can eat a lot and still looks the same.

moriahphotos said:
Its LORONG Selamat actually... if u r driving look for SUNWAY HOTEL dats where lorong selamat is(only night time business)....

For Swatou lane its only day time and its located in one of the small lanes behind SHERATON GEORGETOWN

Sunway Hotel is good! :) I stayed there during my last visit with some CS kakis.
Great location and good food available instantly downstairs :thumbsup:

I have some questions to ask...

Beers/liquors is only available in chinese shops/stores is it?

And is it allow to drink alcoholic drink in KTMB trains?

behyx said:
I have some questions to ask...

Beers/liquors is only available in chinese shops/stores is it?

And is it allow to drink alcoholic drink in KTMB trains?

Don't worry a lot of 7-11 stores around.Not sure abt drinking on the train, but generally what they don't see usually won't hurt, so pour your brandy into a tupperware :bsmilie: . Pls Remmember to shoot some food photo's so that our eyes can feast on it when you return. Have a pleasant trip.:thumbsup:

kenele said:
Don't worry a lot of 7-11 stores around.Not sure abt drinking on the train, but generally what they don't see usually won't hurt, so pour your brandy into a tupperware :bsmilie: . Pls Remmember to shoot some food photo's so that our eyes can feast on it when you return. Have a pleasant trip.:thumbsup:

Haha! Thanks Kenny :)
Yup i think i will post a lot of food photographs after i'm back. Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.