Good DVD+R/DVD-R media to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... The speed's a little slow, but the media's pretty reliable. I got zero coasters up till now with Verbatim DVD-R 2x media. :) A pack of 15 at Znix costs like $1/piece?

I've used Verbatim 4X DVD+R before without creating any coasters (on a 4X drive). Just bought a bunch of 8X (Mitsubishi as referenced in this thread, and TDKs), and will test soon.

I tend to put important backups on 2 brands of "branded" media, just in case one fails. And every year or so, if I can get around to it, re-copy it onto "fresh" media (good plan, but not always done due to laziness).

Remember, media is cheaper than cost of recovering data (if it's recoverable at all).

For DVD+RW, I have used TDK, Sony and Verbatim. They're all pretty good, though I have to admit that the TDK discs look the smartest.

For DVD+R, I use Verbatim.

Have yet to burn any coasters.

BTW, some of the Verbatim media is made in Singapore. Good to support local factories (and jobs)!!

MW

I have bad experiences with those unbranded, no label, dvd+r, had un-recoverable errors after 1-2 weeks. Tried A1pro brand but also had un-recoverable errors after short period.

AdamGoi said:
I'm prepared to pay more (locally) for quality. Any suggestions? Imation, TDK and such? Where exactly (which shop(s) @ SLS) can I find them? The price?

TIA! ;)

Mitsubishi Azo-Dye. :thumbsup: Burnt 6 pieces so far.

have used Sony and Imation, so far, all my "customers" no complaints of unrecoverable disk errors or other errors until today.

Adam, a whole bunch of folks in hwz are going cross-eyed over Ritek DVDs ... you may want to check out the threads there.

There's this Pavlovian reaction to "Made in Japan" optical media which I'm still trying to figure out ... I take it that quality is probably better or more consistent, but the lemming-like rush to snap up all available stocks is a bit incomprehensible to me. Maybe I'm just blur like sotong when it comes to these things ...

Anyway, my take is :

1. Buy several brands, to spread your risk. Important data, make 2 copies on different brands.

2. Don't buy too many ... very rapid & regular price drops, as well as increase in rated speeds. Though buying a 8X DVD+R won't help much if you have a 2X drive ... :D

3. Adopt a kiasee attitude ... your data can and will disappear, what are you going to do, to retain it ? Frequent copies ? Only you can decide.

HTH,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.