good digital compact camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

win76x

Aug 30, 2006
www.solucomm.com.sg
i'm looking for a good compact camera. any recommandation for nikon or canon? knowing the pc show is round the corner, hence wanna get a good deal in this show.

need all the bros and sis here to give comment on which compact camera is good and best

There is no Best cam, it's up to individual on what you want. Not sure about Nikon & Canon compacts but I quite like the Fujifilm f50fd and the Sony H10/W300.

"Good and best" is very relative, and also related to how much $$$ you're willing to spend. I suggest doing some reseach online and reading reviews.

"Good and best" is very relative, and also related to how much $$$ you're willing to spend. I suggest doing some reseach online and reading reviews.

i would recommend the canon G9 if u have the budget:thumbsup:

Hi. Maybe you will like to give more details? Like what kind of specs will be favourable to you? Then we can recommend you from there.

Well to choose a compact cam, only got 3 main considerations. Quite simple, like MCQ.
1) Price
2) Function / Substance
3) Style

Haha, ask yourself and choose 1. Because rarely you will get a cam that combines those factors.

read some reviews that G9 is a looney ... how about nikon P80?
please quote sources where you read them. Have you used both the P80 and G9 to support your statement?

I would recommend Fuji F100FD

actually... it doesn't really matter. except mebbe for the current sigma DP-1, the small compact cameras of all makes and kinds suffer from terrible image quality pass ISO400 due to the small sensor sizes.

so, wat is a 'good' camera depends on whether you want to blow a wad of cash on bells and whistles, or do you want something that just work when you turn on the switch. AFAIK, the current champ, IMO, of bells-and-whistles is the canon G9. if you want something that just works, IMO, you have to go down to the usual shops to try and hold them.

this time round, the PC show (as i've heard) will not have reps from the cam makers. if any cams are sold, probably will be done by people from best denki or HN.

actually... it doesn't really matter. except mebbe for the current sigma DP-1, the small compact cameras of all makes and kinds suffer from terrible image quality pass ISO400 due to the small sensor sizes.

so, wat is a 'good' camera depends on whether you want to blow a wad of cash on bells and whistles, or do you want something that just work when you turn on the switch. AFAIK, the current champ, IMO, of bells-and-whistles is the canon G9. if you want something that just works, IMO, you have to go down to the usual shops to try and hold them.

this time round, the PC show (as i've heard) will not have reps from the cam makers. if any cams are sold, probably will be done by people from best denki or HN.
the DP-1 does sound promising but a big down side is that it comes only with a prime lens.

Thanks for all the comment. Actually i'm looking for something small and compact that i can carry with me everyday. I like to take picture when on the move, handphone cam doesnt come with good quality, so m thinking maybe can get something small so to be able to carry around to take picture.

Well, $$$ is not much of issue here,

Thanks for all the comment. Actually i'm looking for something small and compact that i can carry with me everyday. I like to take picture when on the move, handphone cam doesnt come with good quality, so m thinking maybe can get something small so to be able to carry around to take picture.

Well, $$$ is not much of issue here,

You can check out the Fujifilm F50fd, F100fd or Sony W300.

How about Pana Fx-520?

please quote sources where you read them. Have you used both the P80 and G9 to support your statement?

I would recommend Fuji F100FD

I must say that my intention is to share what reviews have said. It is not meant to support nor criticise the camera. As requested, here are some sources:

"While the G9 is a powerful camera with many highlights though, potential buyers should be aware of its shortfalls. First we felt the power-up and AF speed should have been much quicker for a camera of its class and target market.
Secondly the lens could do with zooming wider, to an equivalent of, say, 28mm. And speaking of wide, it’d be nice to have the ability to record widescreen movies. Both widescreen video and wide angle lenses are standard on almost all of Panasonic’s compacts and make Canon look a little old fashioned."

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G9/verdict.shtml

"Like all traveling companions, the G9 grew to irritate me in a number of ways. All of my complaints relate to responsiveness, or lack thereof. The electronic zoom control is the first problem. While the G9 offers a very handy focal-range, zooming is accomplished by a rocker switch on the top of the camera. The micro-motor which drives the zoom has a perceptible response-lag and drives the lens forward in ‘chunks’, rather than a seamless progression of focal-length. This makes the G9 more of a step-zoom than a true fully-variable focal length camera.
Please Canon. Pretty please with sugar on top. This is what the “G” needs to be a true ‘PRO-sumer’ camera. "

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/G9-Japan.shtml

"Below average dynamic range, Noise reduction artifacts from ISO 200, Loss of details starting at ISO 400 due to noise, Useless ISO 1600, nearly useless ISO 800, Slow focusing near telephoto end of zoom, Custom white-balance system not entirely accurate,Poorly placed shutter-release and tiny zoom controller, Does not have a proper grip Fiddly user interface. Poor battery life. Heavy body"
http://alatest.co.uk/apps/reviews/5...pe-48090153,147/?all=0&limit=10&limitstart=10

"Lots of noise reduction above ISO 200 (in low light) and ISO 400 (in good light); useless ISO 1600 and 3200 settings On the expensive side for a fixed-lens camera Redeye still a big problem (though you can remove it in playback mode)"
http://alatest.co.uk/apps/reviews/4...pe-48090153,147/?all=0&limit=10&limitstart=20

I always have a soft spot for Ricoh.

The Ricoh GRII looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.