Good Day to All

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronde

May 22, 2007
AMK
Hi,

Newbi here. I have been playing world of warcraft for about 3yrs, so i decided to return back to real life and get a new hobby. Been interested in photography shoot for a long time. I have not get a DSLR yet, planning to get a Nikon D300, any old bird can advise me on the camera? Reasons for getting a Nikon : my cousin is using it, my friends are using it and my colleagues are using it. I am open to all advise if you guys think i should try other brands/make.

Hello...welcome.

D300 is a good cam, but you may want to explore the other brands to see if you're more comfortable with the cam. Afterall you're the one using it and it's your feel & needs that matters.

Welcome! Haha yup agree.
Get down to shops and try the brands which you are thinking of and see which one you feels more comfortable!
Don't think too much, faster buy and start clicking! ;)

What kind of advice do you need? If your friends use Nikon already then you could share equipment (lenses, flash) - provided they are willing to do so. Also, they could advice you on Nikon-specific questions. But on the other hand: exposure and composition is not brand-specific, any entry level camera does a decent job these days. No need to follow a certain brand wagon. Have a look at the numerous reviews (e.g. dpreview.com; photozone.de) to see how other entry level cameras have been tested. These sites also compare cameras of the same level. Go to shops / show rooms and have a look & feel there. No worries about lens line-up, all brands have enough lenses for you.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advise. Will the salesman give me a "look" of trying out 2-3 DSLR? I am not a thick skin type of person... hehe... sometimes under pressure, i would just buy n walk off... I do not wana make the same mistake when i brought a car 2 yrs back. Any shop with good service to recommend?

What kind of advice do you need? If your friends use Nikon already then you could share equipment (lenses, flash) - provided they are willing to do so. Also, they could advice you on Nikon-specific questions. But on the other hand: exposure and composition is not brand-specific, any entry level camera does a decent job these days. No need to follow a certain brand wagon. Have a look at the numerous reviews (e.g. dpreview.com; photozone.de) to see how other entry level cameras have been tested. These sites also compare cameras of the same level. Go to shops / show rooms and have a look & feel there. No worries about lens line-up, all brands have enough lenses for you.

Hi Octarine,

My friends do said that they can share the lens with me, however i cannot take their words for granted. I understand that people buy lens bcos they need them for their shoot, if i borrow here n borrow there, then i would be in their "blacklist"...lol

Bcos i m "surrounded" by Nikon users, i do not have other encounters of other brands/makes.:(

Thanks for the advise. Will the salesman give me a "look" of trying out 2-3 DSLR? I am not a thick skin type of person... hehe... sometimes under pressure, i would just buy n walk off... I do not wana make the same mistake when i brought a car 2 yrs back. Any shop with good service to recommend?

For a peace of mind I'd recommend John 3:16, Orient Photo or MS Color (here: ask for Florence). These shops have the patience to let you try several cameras without giving you looks or getting pushy. But please keep in mind: these people work in shops, they make money from sales but not as camera consultants. Take all advices with a pinch of salt and do your homework before. You need to have some basic knowledge about the cameras before you enter any shop. Any entry package of camera body and kit lens is sufficient for a start.

And not to mention, CP: Cathay Photo! :angel:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will do my homework before heading down.

Since u already have frds & colleagues using Nikon cameras, why not borrow frm them 1st to try out 1st ?
At least u will have already try a few camera models rite ?

Welcome to CS...

I have not get a DSLR yet, planning to get a Nikon D300, any old bird can advise me on the camera?
Try the camera out at a shop first...You may prefer the newer features of other cameras.D300 is likely to be replaced soon.

Welcome to CS family! :)

Hi! Welcome to CS

Since u already have frds & colleagues using Nikon cameras, why not borrow frm them 1st to try out 1st ?
At least u will have already try a few camera models rite ?

Hi horizon_grazer,

So far I have try D60, D90 & D5000 from my friends & colleagues. 2 of them will be getting D300 this weekends, I will try out their D300 camera before I decide on my choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.