good computer repair shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

can100D

Jan 16, 2015
Singapore
don't know this the appropriate place to ask this. My dell notebook just refused to boot up the win7 after i restart recently. Suspect is HD dead. System response has been very slow recently (sign of HD dying?). tried recovery disk but no good. so only alternative now might be replace HD.
Any good computer repair shop recommendations?

Ya, that is my worry too.
But i hv no way to remove data in HD now.

Search in hardwarezone for nigel. Not sure he moved to another location in SLS or not.

is it still able to boot into safe mode? If can, maybe can try to access the data in that mode.

But, if you are more adventurous, can consider to replace thee hdd yourself by watching some youtube videos. not too difficult. The more difficult part is installing back the OS (Windows 7) if you dont have the disk

There is small removable panel (3 screws) at the bottom but that only provide access to ram. To remove the hdd, the whole bottom need to be removed. That is the most difficult part.

Depending on the model, some laptops require you to remove the keyboard instead to get to the HDD.

*otoh, just remove those screws lor...the internal parts are not such that once the screws are removed and the laptop falls into many unrecognizable pieces.

To DIY, you can remove the back casing and take out the hdd. Buy a SATA to USB adapter. attempt to read the data in the hdd with another machine.

If data in the hdd is not too sensitive then sending it for repair is an easier option.

To DIY, you can remove the back casing and take out the hdd. Buy a SATA to USB adapter. attempt to read the data in the hdd with another machine.
Something like that should be done using an OS that understands the 'Read-Only' mount option to avoid any form or data change. Linux and the various LiveCD editions are perfect here. Windows may start some funky check and repair operations upon mounting the HDD which could lead to further data damage / corruption.
Alternatively, an image can be created from the disk, copied t any working systems and recover attempts can be done on this image.

Go to Sim Lim Square...ask some of the shop if they can help you to put in the new hdd if you buy from them.....I know Fuwell use to be able to do that...they will direct you to their service counter at another unit....if not, those shop at the backlane at 3rd, 4th floor onwards....they are able to handle your need...just curtosy ask if you can watch them changing the harddisk.....make sure they hand over the old harddisk after he put in a new one...

Thanks all.
Back casing got 2 screws. After removing, it still stuck firmly.
Think hv to go SLS liao

Thanks all.
Back casing got 2 screws. After removing, it still stuck firmly.
Think hv to go SLS liao

Go Google for instructions how to change the hard disk for your notebook... usually, you should be able to find. Check out two or three versions first, just to make sure that they are all telling the same thing

Go Google for instructions how to change the hard disk for your notebook... usually, you should be able to find. Check out two or three versions first, just to make sure that they are all telling the same thing

Want to change hard disk still have to buy one first, might as well ask the SLS people that you buy from to do it for you. Unless of course they ask for some ridiculous price like $50 to do it.

The only problem is if it's not a HDD problem and something else, like motherboard failure

Want to change hard disk still have to buy one first, might as well ask the SLS people that you buy from to do it for you. Unless of course they ask for some ridiculous price like $50 to do it.

The only problem is if it's not a HDD problem and something else, like motherboard failure

Fuwell did it FOC for me...but that's for notebook ram...

Maybe you buy large SSD...higher value...they should be very keen to do you business..

Any good computer repair shop recommendations?

I've never used their service, but this shop sounds fairly decent: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/p...op-device-repair-queries-here-3975805-40.html

If you look through their posts, they charge $60 labour if the new HDD/SSD is purchased from them. Don't know if this includes the cloning of your old HDD if salvageable or reinstallation of OS.

If you don't have a hwz account, you can drop them a query here: http://pcdreams.com.sg/laptop-repair-tablet-repair/

What about calling DELL cust support?

If you worry about cost after the product warranty is over, ask for warranty extension first, then call for support after the warranty is extended. It's always cheaper this way.

Regarding your data recovery, there's two options that I know of.
1. get the professionals to do it, and so far for company data, I go to greenergy.
2. if you are adventurous enough and want to try it yourself, get the software from runtime.org. It's called getDataBack NTFS if its not configured as RAID.... well maybe just go for option 1.

Last edited:
thanks all bros.

notebook repaired liao. but data all gone. luckily got backup photos.

diagnosis=hdd damaged
shop at sls changed a hdd and total charge including re-installing os = $150

Status
Not open for further replies.