Good Circular Polarisers!

JoonWeh

Dec 30, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi guys! I'm sorry if this topic has been repeated before, but i did a search beforehand, and couldnt find anything i was looking for...
Just wanna enquire all the pros out there, what good circular polarisers are there in the market? I've heard B+W and Lee are fairly good.
Also, just to confirm that polarisers reduce/prevent reflections and creates more contrast for blue skies? Heard it is also used when the camera is 90 degrees to the sky?

Sorry for the bombarding of questions! =)

not a pro here. just another cat.

i have one on my lens as protective filter.
it works as advertised - bluer, can attenuate reflections,

384715_4168492818050_1516061366_n.jpg

#1 Max rejection of reflection

531226_4168494898102_1982039096_n.jpg

#2 Min rejection of reflection

Pretty fun if you are shooting landscapes. mine is severely underutilized . generic CPL filter

Whichever brand you choose, avoid the tianya cpl filter. I regretfully bought one and it hardly reduces any reflection no matter how I turn it. Tried in many different situations as I heard it depends on the angle of the sun but still not much effect.

Whichever brand you choose, avoid the tianya cpl filter. I regretfully bought one and it hardly reduces any reflection no matter how I turn it. Tried in many different situations as I heard it depends on the angle of the sun but still not much effect.

WOAH, that totally sucks... Alright man, thanks for the heads up! =)

the Tian ya ND also nt that great.

Im using a hoya one

Folks, don't bash Tian Ya until like that lah. 1 square Tian Ya filter is less than $10! Surely you cannot be asking for too much right? I thought it worked fine when I paired it to my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 and my Nikon D70. Maybe today's lenses and cameras can easily expose the flaws of Tian Ya filters, but if you are pairing your photographic equipment of over thousands of dollars with a filter of less than $10, you better hope that the filter does not work as well, because the alternative will be you grossly overpaid for your other photographic equipment!

Disclaimer: I don't know what is the going price of Tian Ya filters in Singapore. I bought mine in 2008 for less than $2 a piece in China, so I think an estimate of $10 should not be too far off.

Anyway, to TS, I use Hoya Pro 1D circular polarizer for a minimum. I am considering using Kenko Zenta series, which I think I superior.

Thanks guysssss for all the help on this matter... So anyone knows Hoya, B+W, Lee, Kenko, which one is better? =)

Lee quality cfm solid. but $$ also solid.

My Kenko CPL is great, but really underutilised. It's about $50. Singapore shoot more building than grass/seascapes so not much sky. Really hardly used. BUT, it's great for other countries like China or Hong Kong. You can shoot through all the pollution to get a more contrasty picture. =)

To answer TS question yes and yes, only at the right angle.

Thanks guys for all the help! Also thank you catchlights and radonsg for pointing me to the forum! Apologise for the repost!

Thanks guys for all the help! Also thank you catchlights and radonsg for pointing me to the forum! Apologise for the repost!
Just take your time and browse through the forum. Whatever general question you have, you can be sure it has been discussed. The most Frequently Asked Question .. well, they get the honor of dedicated sticky postings on top of the other threads. To find them all (especially the older ones), please change the viewing preferences to show all threads since beginning. You can find it at lower left corner in the thread listing view.

JoonWeh said:
Hi guys! I'm sorry if this topic has been repeated before, but i did a search beforehand, and couldnt find anything i was looking for...
Just wanna enquire all the pros out there, what good circular polarisers are there in the market? I've heard B+W and Lee are fairly good.
Also, just to confirm that polarisers reduce/prevent reflections and creates more contrast for blue skies? Heard it is also used when the camera is 90 degrees to the sky?

Sorry for the bombarding of questions! =)

You can try Hoya pro 1 cpl filter which is quite expensive. the price is about $80-$100 or more for a 77mm lens. If your lens is facing the sun directly then the effects of the cpl will be reduce to the minimum. Hope it helps.

Blur Shadow said:
Folks, don't bash Tian Ya until like that lah. 1 square Tian Ya filter is less than $10! Surely you cannot be asking for too much right? I thought it worked fine when I paired it to my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 and my Nikon D70. Maybe today's lenses and cameras can easily expose the flaws of Tian Ya filters, but if you are pairing your photographic equipment of over thousands of dollars with a filter of less than $10, you better hope that the filter does not work as well, because the alternative will be you grossly overpaid for your other photographic equipment!

Disclaimer: I don't know what is the going price of Tian Ya filters in Singapore. I bought mine in 2008 for less than $2 a piece in China, so I think an estimate of $10 should not be too far off.

Totally agree with blur shadow. Actually, tianya nd filters work well with sigma 10-20mm lens and my canon 50d. Just that there is vignette issue at 10-13mm which is normal for UWA lens. By the way, we are just paying less than $90 for a bundle of nd filter inclusive of the holder. If you are buying separately, each filter only cost $10 each. Super good deal. Cheers