Good cdrw disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
HI,

I am planning to get some brands cdrw discs to backup my data esp. my photos. Can pls recommend some reliable ones? I heard some of them have rather short lifespan. I am using SONY CDRW 12x/8x/32x at the moment.

why back them up on CDRW? If the photos are worth keeping, then obviously CD-R is the cheaper and more lasting solution. I agree with Kit that there are some issues with CD-RWs whatever the brand

If the photos are not worth keeping, then don't back them up....

Originally posted by erwinx
why back them up on CDRW? If the photos are worth keeping, then obviously CD-R is the cheaper and more lasting solution. I agree with Kit that there are some issues with CD-RWs whatever the brand

If the photos are not worth keeping, then don't back them up....

I am planning to back them up regular like after every photoshoot or something like them. So if I am going to use cdr then it would be kind of a waste.

Originally posted by Falcon

I am planning to back them up regular like after every photoshoot or something like them. So if I am going to use cdr then it would be kind of a waste.

I know what you mean but you'd be better off organising everything on your harddisk before sending it off to the CD. Not sure why you need to back up everything but that's your choice. If you're thinking of changing the contents constantly, then better to invest in Zip disks. 750MB version available soon.

I can only tell you that almost every brand of CD-RWs I've used had some reliability problem at one time or the other. CD-Rs are more stable. As for wastage, CD-Rs cost next to nothing nowadays so there you go.

Originally posted by Kit
Btw, you can continue writing an CD-R session after session as long as you don't finalize it.

Interesting. I did not know that. Care to elaborate more? What software are you using to burn your cd?

Originally posted by Falcon

Interesting. I did not know that. Care to elaborate more? What software are you using to burn your cd?

Any software that supports multi-session will be able to do that. Most if not all software nowadays support multisession. One of the most popular is Nero.

Do note that everytime you burn a new session, there's an overhead of 30MB (if I didn't remember the figure wrongly) for the lead-in, leadout.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Any software that supports multi-session will be able to do that. Most if not all software nowadays support multisession. One of the most popular is Nero.

Do note that everytime you burn a new session, there's an overhead of 30MB (if I didn't remember the figure wrongly) for the lead-in, leadout.

Regards
CK

unless the CD-R is formatted in UDF format?

Why is it that some cdrw burned....brought to another com....you are unable to see anything...but the com reads as the cd HAS files on it....but u r unable to see them, let alone open them. :p

Originally posted by sbs99
Why is it that some cdrw burned....brought to another com....you are unable to see anything...but the com reads as the cd HAS files on it....but u r unable to see them, let alone open them. :p

I understand that its the format that they were written in that's causint the problem. Happens when I used Direct CD.

there are 2 ways to make use of CDRW

1. use directCD (Roxio Easy CD Creator) or inCD (Nero) to format the CDRW which allow you to drag and drop the files from the explorer directly.

Disadvantages
- The 1st format takes longer to format (50min)
- 650M become 560M available

2. use it as normal CDR . You can erase the CD to become a blank CD again.

I find that the 2nd method is better ...

Originally posted by sbs99

Cannot read AT ALL, or can see only the previous session? If it's the latter, then the drive has problems reading multi-session CDs.

erwinx:

unless the CD-R is formatted in UDF format?

Not too familiar with UDF and packet writing stuff, so.... :embrass:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Kit

I understand that its the format that they were written in that's causint the problem. Happens when I used Direct CD.

if you use direct-cd or other packet writing software, you need to install the proper drivers on other computers in order to read the CDs.

Originally posted by mpenza

if you use direct-cd or other packet writing software, you need to install the proper drivers on other computers in order to read the CDs.

Nah, don't have to worry about that anymore. Using Roxio now. Faster and can make better use of the disc's capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.