Good bye, Blue sky

ictrlaltdelyou

Jun 23, 2010
4716310532_80646d3212.jpg

hello noob here again. sincere criticisms are more than welcome. need pointers to help me learn to shoot better. :)

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, post processing, subject matter etc.
while pointers about apertures and shutter and stuff like that will be greatly appreciated but. shot is taken with a gx100. so it cant really go that indepth.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
being a beginner, i am just trying to learn about simple compositions, isolating alot of things
so i can handle the compostion before i move on to more complex stuff. i guess this piece actually didnt really conform to the rule of 3rds. but. yeah feels to me that i need more sky in this one.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
this is taken on a day with fairly good weather, in the evening. wasnt actually out to shoot photos. just happen to see something interest for a photo while waiting for bus.

and also gf was leaving singapore on the day i shot this. so a bit emo also. haha. if that matters.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
it may be a tad too dark. and also. if it were up to me, i'd have the buildings and cranes slightly longer. but there were some distracting stuff below, so compromised a little in the proportion, shorter building with a cleaner frame. all things considered, i guess its quite a nice image for my amatuer eyes. this is where criticism comes in. haha.

once again, comment and criticism would be very helpful in my picking up of photography and will be greatly appreciated. cheers.

have a nice day.

if a bigger image is needed for you to nitpick, it is avaliable here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15589966@N00/4716310532/

why not just focus on the clouds and the blue sky? Clouds can be extremely magnificent. Remove the cranes...

Hi,

Love it! From a composition perspective, it gives the story of a splendid sky view that will soon be marred by another high-rise building once completed. The crane and unfinisihed buiding are a little short to convey the full story, but still works for me.

why not just focus on the clouds and the blue sky? Clouds can be extremely magnificent. Remove the cranes...

i guess that could work as well. but maybe then it would look a little too much like stock photos of skies. haha. but yeah maybe should do a pure cloud one someday. cheers! :)

Hi,

Love it! From a composition perspective, it gives the story of a splendid sky view that will soon be marred by another high-rise building once completed. The crane and unfinisihed buiding are a little short to convey the full story, but still works for me.

hello camelot, glad you like it! thanks for dropping by :)

was it possible to have moved to the left and gradually shift the cranes to the right of the picture while keeping roughly the smae view of the clouds?

it is a good idea, but dissecting it compositionally - cranes point left, clouds point left. both are on left of picture - this makes the picture extremely left heavy, and placing the cranes on the right of the picture would render them better as a counterbalance to those domineering clouds, and give the picture a better balance/composition. sorry if this sounds a bit garbled.

hello night86mare,

thank you for you very constructive comment. will take into consideration next time while shooting sky shots. cheers! :)