Good Buys in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest going to Convent Garden (via the tube); there is a fair amount of small shops selling hand-made souvenirs, decor items, etc. I find them more interesting than the shopping districts. ;)

everything is more expensive... so it really depends on what you want to buy... or should i say what you buy should be those things that are harder to find in sg? haha... enjoy yourself in london... very cold here now though...

londonray said:
everything is more expensive... so it really depends on what you want to buy... or should i say what you buy should be those things that are harder to find in sg? haha... enjoy yourself in london... very cold here now though...
What's the weather forecast for next week? Yahoo Weather is not too accurate.

../azul123

Most of the things cost 30-40% more than SG..just enjoy the culture and achitectural sites like the Tinstle tower, westminister, big ben, etc and take more pics...;)

The English breakfast is worth a try. Very hearty meal - after which you can skip lunch. :thumbsup:

Chinese food is definitely NOT a good buy there. Some chinese resturants even have a "peak hour" surcharge (well, they did when I went there a couple of years back). :thumbsd:

londonray said:

Unfortunately I'm not going to be the one who is travelling to London... a friend is going so was thinking of just 'tong pang' her to get some stuff...

I might be going Taiwan for work though.. hehehe... good buys there are also welcomed to be recommended...

Thanks for all the replies!

Londoners favorite is Indian food.

../azul123

azul123 said:
Londoners favorite is Indian food.

../azul123

That was what I heard too! Heard there are lotsa india restaurants and shops as well.

Didn't notice that when I was there some years ago.

jaix said:
That was what I heard too! Heard there are lotsa india restaurants and shops as well.

Didn't notice that when I was there some years ago.
Me going on Sunday, they have very good North Indian food :thumbsup: , specially liked their Tandooris. Weather wise these few days not looking too good though.

../azul123

shop on boxing day :bsmilie: . then you'll complain less.

If you like brands that originate from England, such as Marks and Spencer and Harrods, they are generally cheaper in London as compared to in Singapore. Also, they have more variety and have the latest.

Clarks shoes... a lot cheaper than here and quality is :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hobbesyeo said:
Chinese food is definitely NOT a good buy there. Some chinese resturants even have a "peak hour" surcharge (well, they did when I went there a couple of years back). :thumbsd:

Sorry but I disagree. Chinese food is perhaps the best deal in town. Good food at a good price --- only MacDonald's is cheaper. Moreover it is more like Hong Kong style/quality. I recommend Beef Kway Teow at MayFlower Restaurant.

azul123 said:
What's the weather forecast for next week? Yahoo Weather is not too accurate.

../azul123

don't know about next week... but I just got off a conf call with some Londoners and they say it's between 1 and 5 degrees now. Plus wind factor !!!

cmwong said:
Sorry but I disagree. Chinese food is perhaps the best deal in town. Good food at a good price --- only MacDonald's is cheaper. Moreover it is more like Hong Kong style/quality. I recommend Beef Kway Teow at MayFlower Restaurant.

I like to visit Wong Kee restaurant - cheap and good.

cmwong said:
don't know about next week... but I just got off a conf call with some Londoners and they say it's between 1 and 5 degrees now. Plus wind factor !!!
Thanks, that's what I was told... this week had crappy weather not sure how next week will be.

../azul123

Any idea where to get a Quick Release plate like RRS or Kirk in UK? is it cheaper or cost much more in UK than getting from US?

.../azul123

The US is going to be cheaper. The UK is 20-30% more ex than Singapore for camera stuff. Shoes are a good buy as mentioned by seankyh.

jumbocrab said:
I like to visit Wong Kee restaurant - cheap and good.

Ahh.. Wong Kee... How I remebered their 'five star service'.
I remember having a plate flung right into my teeth..
I remember their wonton while cooked outside was raw pink (and still cold) on the inside
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.