Good books to start out digital photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi all! I'm new to photography in general, want to learn more about shutter speeds, those F numbers, fill flash, composition, etc.

Just bought a digital camera yesterday (Canon S45), and I intend to buy a good book on photography. My question is: Do I need to buy a book specifically for digital photography or just a general photography book to learn the basics? In other words, are digital cameras so different from conventional ones that I need to get a book that is written specifically for digital cameras?

I guess concepts like using light and composition would be the same, but what about the technical aspects such as ISO, flash, and other settings that are found only in digital cameras?

Can the old birds recommend any good books for me to start?

There is this series of books from National Geographic. Secrets to taking great pictures by Robert Caputo. Great stuff. Rather ex...you can try comparing the prices in Singapore and those from Amazon.com

Get the natgeo book from Kino, its cheaper compare to ordering from Amazon. You might consider buying a book by Tom Ang, its touch more on digital. You can get it from Kino too, but the last time I check it was out of stock. I owned both books, and so far they are the best book for newbies like us :)

Originally posted by hanoman
Get the natgeo book from Kino, its cheaper compare to ordering from Amazon. You might consider buying a book by Tom Ang, its touch more on digital. You can get it from Kino too, but the last time I check it was out of stock. I owned both books, and so far they are the best book for newbies like us :)

Wats the name of the book by Tom Ang and the price?

Actually... I saw some books at Kino abt Digital Photography.... but din buy as I dunno which are good....

Originally posted by xin
Wats the name of the book by Tom Ang and the price?

Actually... I saw some books at Kino abt Digital Photography.... but din buy as I dunno which are good....

The name of the book is "Digital Photographer's Handbook", it cost S$60 something at Kino. Or you can get it from amazon, link

Originally posted by hanoman
The name of the book is "Digital Photographer's Handbook", it cost S$60 something at Kino. Or you can get it from amazon, link

can get it from borders!

Testing market here....

Anyone interested to order "Digital Photographer's Handbook" by Tom Ang?

Amazon.com having a 30% discount for the book....
The price now is $28.00 USD....

The price in Singapore is about $64....

If we share shipping.... maybe it will not be so expensive....

Anyone interested?

The link is here

Originally posted by xin
Testing market here....

Anyone interested to order "Digital Photographer's Handbook" by Tom Ang?

Amazon.com having a 30% discount for the book....
The price now is $28.00 USD....

The price in Singapore is about $64....

If we share shipping.... maybe it will not be so expensive....

Anyone interested?

The link is here

Converting US$28 to current exchange rate gives S$49.20.

Shipping rate to Singapore is US$6.99 gives S$12.

Let me think about it... :)

Are U all more interested in the package deal at is at the end of the page?

Anyway.... wanna clarify the shipping details..... So the $6.99 USD shipping charges is the same no matter how many books U order or is per book?

NiVleK, I moved home liaoz..... so collection if any will be at SEED.....

AJ23.... think we discuss abt this MO during tomorrow's SEED....

Okies.

By the way, any of you actually flip through that book? Any place that I can go and take a peep at that book?

Originally posted by xin
Are U all more interested in the package deal at is at the end of the page?

Anyway.... wanna clarify the shipping details..... So the $6.99 USD shipping charges is the same no matter how many books U order or is per book?

NiVleK, I moved home liaoz..... so collection if any will be at SEED.....

AJ23.... think we discuss abt this MO during tomorrow's SEED....

The shipping charge will change if the amount of book increase. You can try to order 1 book, and increase more book. Just remember not to click the conform button. But of course more book is more worth to order than 1 book only.

I will check out the shop at Funan if they can bring in for me at a better price with bulk orders..... Then will update those who are interested at SEED today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.