Good ballhead $300-400 to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I've always been using a pan/tilt head. Never realize ballheads are more difficult to choose!

I've tried a few from the popular brands and so far all of them have been disappointing in one way or another. I'm looking for one that weighs 500g or less and can take loads up to 3-4kg. Should also come with a panning base. Anyone any recommendations? Budget is $300-400.

The Acratech and Markins are good but price is rocket high. $595! :bigeyes: Moreover, still must buy separate plates for different camera bodies, each costing about S$70?! Just buy 2 plates and the total price can come up to $700!

Manfrotto's 308RC is light but creeps after I lock the knob. Quite poor design and greasy too. Other models are heavy. Worse is Gitzo... Very greasy and head does not move smoothly.

Anyone could help here pls? Thanks!

David said:
I've always been using a pan/tilt head. Never realize ballheads are more difficult to choose!

I've tried a few from the popular brands and so far all of them have been disappointing in one way or another. I'm looking for one that weighs 500g or less and can take loads up to 3-4kg. Should also come with a panning base. Anyone any recommendations? Budget is $300-400.

The Acratech and Markins are good but price is rocket high. $595! :bigeyes: Moreover, still must buy separate plates for different camera bodies, each costing about S$70?! Just buy 2 plates and the total price can come up to $700!

Manfrotto's 308RC is light but creeps after I lock the knob. Quite poor design and greasy too. Other models are heavy. Worse is Gitzo... Very greasy and head does not move smoothly.

i have a Giottos MH1000. Dunno about others, but I like it and it takes up to about 10kg (or 5 if you use lenses like bigma). 560gms.

I use a Cambo CBH-3 ballhead with panning, but locking is with just one BIG round knob, which some may not like....very lightweight. Can be bought at Ruby, but today didn;t see in the showroom, maybe they have one inside the shop. Don't get the bigger CBH-5 as it is heavier!

I personally like the Foba ballhead with panning base and locking is with a lever (good!), but weighs quite alot, considerably for long walks.....

Goodluck!

Hong Sien

he Cambo CBH-3 was sold new for SGD 136 or around there....Foba is at SGD 420 at Cathay

hongsien said:
he Cambo CBH-3 was sold new for SGD 136 or around there....Foba is at SGD 420 at Cathay

Many thanks guys...

Hongsien, so the Cambo CBH-3 doesn't have a separate knob to control the panning? Hmm, if I adjust the main knob, then the whoel ballhead will move also... can't really do panoramic shots well right, which is what I'm interested in.

David said:
Many thanks guys...

Hongsien, so the Cambo CBH-3 doesn't have a separate knob to control the panning? Hmm, if I adjust the main knob, then the whoel ballhead will move also... can't really do panoramic shots well right, which is what I'm interested in.
Ho,

No, thats right, no separate panning lock. But what I do is open the lock a little just enough to pan, but not to move vertically.....but it needs sometime to adjust.......

Hong Sien

I have the 308RC and find that the creep comes from the QR shoe. There is a slot (hole) near the front of the QR shoe, and I find that if I put a hard cardboard on top of the QR shoe, the creep is reduced.

David said:

Status
Not open for further replies.