Golfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienster

Mar 13, 2005
Any golfers here?? I'm thinking of hybrids to start off with. Shortlisted 3 brands:

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/excel.strong.hybridset.html

http://www.purepointgolf.com/clubs-nickent-hybrid-iron-set

http://www.golfjoy.com/Nike/Hybrid_Clubs/SQ_SUMO_Hybrid.htm

My 1st choice will be Nike. Or if u have other better clubs to recommend. I have read lots of tips to get a 2nd hand, play 1st to see if u like the game...but just want to get 1 club for myself instead of renting so I can personalized my swing, weight of club..etc. Thanks for ur great help in advance.

If you're a beginner, I would suggest not spending too much money on equipment. Having said that, I believe that it helps a lot having a good set of clubs that are fit to your height, stature, swing speed and skill level. Any of the brand name clubs like Callaway, Ping, Titleist, Cobra, Mizuno, Bridgestone, etc. are proven and dependable and can be custom fit to you.

Irons and wedges are the money clubs and a good set makes a big difference as you want accuracy and distance control. Hybrids are useful to replace long irons because most rookies don't generate enough swing speed to get the distance and accuracy needed. Even for the pros, the 3 most important clubs to pay attention to are the driver, wedge and putter.

I started golf more than 20 years ago and made many rookie mistakes buying all sorts of equipment - ill fitting clubs, wrong length, wrong shafts, swing weights all over the place, no proper distance gaps between clubs, etc. at a time where I had not even managed to develop a consistent and repeatable swing. I languished between 20 to 22 handicap for about 4 years before I decided to get a swing coach.

With coaching, I managed to correct ingrained bad habits that had developed when I was learning the game alone, just beating balls at the range. I finally understood the value of a coach because a good coach can see swing faults and help to rectify them. My handicap dropped to 7 within a space of almost 3 years. I used to hit a 7 iron an average of 130 metres, decent by beginner standards. Under instruction, I learnt how to hit that 7 iron an average of 165 metres accurately. Even now when I don't play regularly (about 6 times a year), I still play to a 12 to 14 handicap.

In golf, equipment is secondary to skill. Best thing for a beginner to spend on are not clubs but in getting proper instruction.

IMHO, Nike is probably overpriced and they are not traditional golf club manufacturers either. You should go with the brands creampuff mentioned. Good luck and happy golfing! :cool:

Try Cobra or Taylor made hybrids and go for 2nd hand stuff at Far East Shopping ( Next to Borders)

Good valueable advise creampuff had given. On top of that, ask yourself this....

What's the thing u look at in getting the clubs? U looking for something cheap due to budget? Or just trying to get something to start of with?

U got any coach guiding u? Meaning that are u taking any lessons now?

If u looking for something cheap to start due to budget, get a second hand carbon shaft with hybrid clubs. Don't get the blade with steel irons as it gets u nowhere for beginner. People may suggest steel irons as it's good to play with but that's for more advance users.

Also, clubs that suits u now doesn't mean it'll suit u later cos ya skills improve and the way u play will change. Age and body fitness plays a part too. Golf isn't like what people said "Play without sweating".

It still requires certain amount of energy to play. It's also about staminer, don't forget about the 9 or 18 holes that u need to run through on the fairway. For me, I prefer Taylormade and had been using it for some years.

My advice, get a second hand branded set. Get a coach, go through the lesson. Then go custom made a club set after u can manage the balls flight distance and direction.

arrange a range session lor...and all those who have been playing for sometime liao come and teach us ??? Show us some tips n give advise on the spot ? Believe it will always be BEST to have it hands on :D

arrange a range session lor...and all those who have been playing for sometime liao come and teach us ??? Show us some tips n give advise on the spot ? Believe it will always be BEST to have it hands on :D

"Tips and advice" is a term I've long heard so many times. I have been given so many tips and mini lessons and read so many books from Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf to all of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Leadbetter to many of the current golf gurus. I've found John Jacobs' books, Practical Golf and Golf Doctor to be very useful for me.

All books provide head knowledge of what is essentially a bio-mechanical process. I won't say that instruction books aren't useful but it is important to know how do they relate to your particular swing, and we all have varying swings. Giving tips is dead easy, the only thing is you won't know if it will work consistently.

Equipment wise, for your irons, for a start get a set of regular graphite shaft game improvement irons (wide sole, lots of perimeter weighting, thick topline, moderate amount of offset). Get the lofts and lie angle checked. At address, your clubs irons should rest flat or just a little toe up. You'll be surprised how lie angle can correct those hooks and slices.

Get a driver with lots of loft (nothing less than 10 degrees), a closed face, and not too long a shaft (45" max).
As for a putter, a Ping Anser style is a good start. If you tend to "hit" your putts or need more alignment aids, a mallet style putter might be better. Hope this helps.

thank you all so much for ur help!!! My main purpose is to pick up a new elegant sport and hopefully, to play (better) than my boss and boss' boss:devil:

I feel it's an ego sport for guys. Hitting far and straight it's like a guy flexing their muscles in front of other guys.

Of cos i just started and jus went for my driving range a few times. As u expected, hitting air and hitting the ground and lots of vibration after my hit. Maybe out of 100 balls, i get abt 5 perfect shots. Have signed up for a package for 12000balls. Will not be smelling the golf course any time soon. Very committed to perfect my skills and do lots of reading and watch leadbetter dvd.

Got myself a mizuno tec flex glove already. Guess that i jus put on hold to buy a new golf club and borrow it from my friend's dad 1st.

Ya it's right that the steel club it's difficult to use for beginners. i'm using #7 iron (rent it), very heavy n feel like lifting and carrying the club instead of nice and smooth swing. Ya, shd use a graphite club.

thank you all so much for ur help!!! My main purpose is to pick up a new elegant sport and hopefully, to play (better) than my boss and boss' boss:devil:

i do not play golf

cannot afford and this reason is not false modesty

advice:

always lose golf games to your boss and your boss' boss.

the petulance and xin xiong xia chai of people cannot be under-estimated

i do not play golf

cannot afford and this reason is not false modesty

advice:

always lose golf games to your boss and your boss' boss.

the petulance and xin xiong xia chai of people cannot be under-estimated

Wrong advice - beat your boss just enough so that you will get invited to further golf sessions. If you cannot make it on the golf course, chances are it might lead to the impression that you probably cannot make it work wise. People want to play with winners, not losers.

Golf is an equaliser, on the course if you can't hold your own against the course, there is no one to help you. That's a good test if any to show if you can make it on your own in your work and a good test your character (if you're cool or not or can recover). Throwing games and false modesty is a true sign of people faking it and reveals that the other person can't be trusted.

I've played pro-ams, tournaments and casual games with people from different strata of society from pros, CEOs to executives. How you carry yourself, especially under pressure is a key test of your character. People will enjoy playing with an honest golfer even if they get beaten silly.

Any golfers here?? I'm thinking of hybrids to start off with. Shortlisted 3 brands:

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/excel.strong.hybridset.html

http://www.purepointgolf.com/clubs-nickent-hybrid-iron-set

http://www.golfjoy.com/Nike/Hybrid_Clubs/SQ_SUMO_Hybrid.htm

My 1st choice will be Nike. Or if u have other better clubs to recommend. I have read lots of tips to get a 2nd hand, play 1st to see if u like the game...but just want to get 1 club for myself instead of renting so I can personalized my swing, weight of club..etc. Thanks for ur great help in advance.

Whichever brands you buy, don't buy imitation cos they will give u problems in future. :) Hope you thrash your boss! :thumbsup:

Whichever brands you buy, don't buy imitation cos they will give u problems in future. :) Hope you thrash your boss! :thumbsup:

Dont ever do that to your boss otherwise your name will ends up in the "bad" book and do remember "business" golf with your customers always ;)

Dont ever do that to your boss otherwise your name will ends up in the "bad" book and do remember "business" golf with your customers always ;)

Wrong advice again! What is the problem with beating one's boss? Nothing from my personal experience. I can only say the above advice is dictated by a mindset of timidity and fear. Scared for your job prospects that you have to resort to letting your boss or customers win? What rubbish! Business golf is about social interaction, not about "throwing away" games.

If you've ever stepped on the golf course and played, the game is to be played hard and fair and within the rules. I have beaten my bosses and customers on so many occasions yet relations have never been affected. It boils down to how you carry yourself on course or off it.

In my opinion, there are no advice which can be classified as "Rubbish" or "Excellent" advice as it all depends how you look at it since there are only two sides in a coin and being a nice guy in nature I don't like to embarrass my flight mates if they are not at my level. :)

Having said that whenever I am playing in a tournament irrespective whether it is a private, public or monthly medal, etc. then I make damn sure that there wont be any survivors as I believe that one must have 100 victories from 100 battles. But unfortunately, I haven't reach that level yet. :cry:

Taking a step forward, as I have never play with a golfer with 20+ years experience before and wonder if I can have the pleasure of a having some tips and hints from you while playing a round of 18 holes game. ;)

Having said that whenever I am playing in a tournament irrespective whether it is a private, public or monthly medal, etc. then I make damn sure that there wont be any survivors as I believe that one must have 100 victories from 100 battles. But unfortunately, I haven't reach that level yet. :cry:

Taking a step forward, as I have never play with a golfer with 20+ years experience before and wonder if I can have the pleasure of a having some tips and hints from you while playing a round of 18 holes game. ;)

That's the spirit! :bsmilie:
You might find that attitude useful when you play head to head in matchplay.
Tips or hints you could pick up aplenty from the like of Golf Digest or Golf Magazine or a host of other golfing magazines.

Guess best advice is to know the Rules of Golf well and maintain good etiquette while on-course. I only play fortnightly now with my regular foursome at our local clubs due to family commitments. Just not enough time nowadays.

I'm not trying to be offensive by saying this....beating your boss in a game is harmless. If your boss has wisdom and a big heart, he will not mind you beating him for there is always a mountain higher. In addition, he will include you when he needs kakis to play golf. Only a petty boss will bear grudges and be a sore loser. IMHO, it is better to be real and play your best than to be a boot licker by pretending to lose. :)

I'm not trying to be offensive by saying this....beating your boss in a game is harmless. If your boss has wisdom and a big heart, he will not mind you beating him for there is always a mountain higher. In addition, he will include you when he needs kakis to play golf. Only a petty boss will bear grudges and be a sore loser. IMHO, it is better to be real and play your best than to be a boot licker by pretending to lose. :)

Bovine ... no worries as I dont feel offended, ;)

Here is my take as in any golf game, whether your flight consists of your boss, your co-workers, your customers, or your company suppliers, you are able to assess their standard after a few holes and you will know what I meant by this comment as a golfer.

If they are playing to a much higher handicap than you, the chances of they having a hard time trying to catch up is imminent and the more they try, the worst it becomes. So make them feel at ease and don't embarrass them further as they are already intimidated by your fearless drive and awesome fairway and short-game shots plus excellent reading of the green. It is best then to win by one or two strokes rather than double digit strokes or one to two holes for a match play. In short, play according to the situation.

Khaki???? don't worry about this. Everyone would have their own regulars who are of the same handicap level and whereas on any other weekdays, you're only playing with your customers/suppliers as and when required depending on invites or being invited.

Btw, I rarely play with my boss (he is in USA) and even if I do play then it wont be on a individual basis unless in a "Sixes" and there is no compelling reason to show that I am better than him as his weakness is my strength and that the reason why I am on the company payroll. Right?

You will understand why when you are at this level. :)

Sunburst, in golf, there is such a thing called handicapping. It allows different golfers of varying skill levels to play together. Used correctly, a weekend hacker can play alongside even a touring pro.

Your suggestion in para 2 "It is best then to win by one or two strokes rather than double digit strokes or one to two holes for a match play. In short, play according to the situation." sounds like deliberately throwing a game or in tennis parlance "tanking". Sadly I have little tolerance or patience for such shenanigans on course. All I can say is you got a weird way of trying to keep your job...

Creampuff ... For a USD54M dollar deal over 5 years binding contract, would you do it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.