Golden Trees in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamasaint

Jan 26, 2003
www.lightedpixels.com
Taken here in singapore. I'm more used to shooting streets and potraits actually but what the heck, I missed the Taka Fashion show and decided to head out into the night in search of things to shoot. These were all taken with pure ambient lighting. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

22153674.jpg

22153954.jpg

22153895.jpg

very very nice =)

Brilliant colors. All your shots are very good.

would it be better if the moon isnt that bright?

can try cover the part of the moon using a black card for like 2-3 sec during the 6 sec exposure

happy shooting :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I have not tried the covering up thingey actually. Will give it a go and see how it turns out. Sounds good! Thanks! =)

I think the moon gives the pics the effect!! It has an almost Gothic feel to the shots....... kinda creepy yet full of sensual mystery....... cool! :thumbsup:

very unreal - almost like props against a studio background
I like the 2nd pic - nice composition ;p

Hi iamasaint,

Beautiful pictures. well composed...
I especially like the moon behind the pictures.... It would be better if it wasn't a cloudy nite... but anyway its still very nicely taken. :thumbsup:

did you use a digital SLR camera or a normal film SLR to take?

If you use digital SLR camera, can I ask whats the white balance you use for the pictures? how do you determine the white balance for different shooting conditions? Or is it normally set to auto?

One more doubt, whats the ISO settings for the pictures you took for those pictures? and lasty how do you determine the ISO settings for different shooting conditions?

Im very new to digital photography thats why I have some doubts. hope that you can help me.... :confused:

I especially like the moon behind the pictures.... It would be better if it wasn't a cloudy nite...

Sorry mate, have to disagree here. The clouds gave the eefect I was looking for. Without the clouds, the pic would have been much less interesting to look at actually. I have a pic of a "cloudless" version. Not too nice I;m afraid.

I'm using Canon's 10D.

I normally set to awb. I feel that it does its job most of the time. I have also used cloudy, which gives a nice warm tone, and daylight. Custom is usually set at 5500K-5800K.

The ISO for those pics were 100-800. Yes, I'm sorry abt being general here. But with a tripod and on a still night, u can get away with iso 100 even at night.

Hey, ask all you like and I will try to help. I'm still learning too and besides thats one of the reason why we come to clubsnap so often right?

Cheers!

ReRum and TME: Thanks! You guys should go and try too. Its quite fun. Next is to try it while its raining!

Hi there,

thanks for your prompt reply and advice.

Im a beginner to digital photography and im using a sony dcs v1.

Im still very confused on how to manipulate between the WB and ISO.

Sometimes the pictures turn out too be very grainy isit due to the ISO settings?

And sometimes due to lighting conditions the pictures i wanted to take doesn't appear to be at the correct tone in the LCD and I also don't know how to choose the WB to fit the lighting....

Any advice on how to deal with this confusion?

Many thanks in advance... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

CorDon said:
Hi there,

Sometimes the pictures turn out too be very grainy isit due to the ISO settings?

And sometimes due to lighting conditions the pictures i wanted to take doesn't appear to be at the correct tone in the LCD and I also don't know how to choose the WB to fit the lighting....

Well........ since u are on digital,it wouldn't harm to test out the same scene using all the white balance modes that the camera comes with right? So go shoot more and at more ISOs... so that for a certain type of situation, u'll know which ISO setting and white balance mode your camera will give u the best pics (to your eyes). That's learning how to take digital photos........ we can only give u broad and general tips because each camera has its own characteristics..... each manufacturer makes its own CCD or buys CCDs according to their own marketing philosophy...... so unless someone here uses the exact same camera as u do, we can't give u definite answers.....

I hope u dun feel I am bashing u but just to bring up a general point on experimentation..... it's tough for film cos of development costs....... but digicams are a totally different kettle of fish..... u can really shoot all u like......... wish Minolta comes out with a DSLR soon.....

chngpe01, Chelsea and TME: Thanks!

By the way, if Minolta comes out with a DSLR, I might jump back ship! =)

First Love la....Hahahah

iamasaint said:
chngpe01, Chelsea and TME: Thanks!

By the way, if Minolta comes out with a DSLR, I might jump back ship! =)

First Love la....Hahahah

What are u using now? A Canon?

Well spotted and shot!
I like the 1st one for its simplicity, while the other 2 seems a little "chaotic"/messy. However, it still has visual impact probably bcoz of its golds & blacks?
Cool! :thumbsup:

..NuTs..

CorDon said:
Hi there,

white balance is a tricky thing. you need to know 2 things.
1. what is the colour temperature of the ambient light
2. what colour temperature do the settings of your camera relate to.

this is because if you are using a prosumer camera like your sony, the white balance settings will not be as precise as a dslr...
dslrs can do a preset colour temperature reading on the spot(based on ambient light). so accurate reading may be achieved.

for eg.
incandescent setting may be preset by sony for use in 3000k color temp...this is a very general setting for tungsten light. so therefore, unless the ambient exactly matches 3000k colour temp, the exposures will either turn out too blue(cool) or too yellow(warm)

(i use 3000k as an example because my nikon camera sets it this way. sony may be different.)

knowing the colour temp of the ambient light is difficult. and unless one is trained in cinema and lighting or really experienced, its virtually impossible to get an exact reading except with a colour temp meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.