Golden Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

dccruzjr

Jan 24, 2008
Vantage point for this shot is at Shears Bridge during the preparation for the New Year Fireworks at Marina Bay Dec 29, 2007. Did some digging of old photos.

Exif:
- Nikon D50
- 80-200mm f2.8 @ 112mm
- f8, 3secs, ISO 200, Long Exposure NR

Golden%20Lights.jpg

- Is the composition and framing taken just right?
- Does the blown highlights on the lights distract the overall picture?
- Does the title compliment the photo?

1- The cluttering in the middle half of the picture distracts me. Too many subjects to look out for, the City Hall[is it?], the lights, the water surface, the little blobs on the water surface etc etc etc...
2- The ONE that captured my attention is that building. I would have just have that in the background, and since everything else is cluttered, I would have taken a vertical shot of that building, plus lots of water in the foreground.

goldenlightsag8.jpg

I'm imagining that the river flows of gold coming from that building

3- Alternative was to take the widest angle possible than this.

Last edited:
- Is the composition and framing taken just right? no, it does not looks balance, you can crop off one sixth of the bottom
- Does the blown highlights on the lights distract the overall picture? yes, all I can said is very messy, the buildings behind is underexposed.

- Is the composition and framing taken just right? no, it does not looks balance, you can crop off one sixth of the bottom
- Does the blown highlights on the lights distract the overall picture? yes, all I can said is very messy, the buildings behind is underexposed.

Did some cropping as suggested and some improvement though.

Golden%20Lights1.jpg

The background or buildings behind are under exposed since the main subject would be the City Hall..but it could have been balanced if the left side of the citihall building has been lighted and the clock tower at the SG Cricket Club on the left would have been lighted too.

1- The cluttering in the middle half of the picture distracts me. Too many subjects to look out for, the City Hall[is it?], the lights, the water surface, the little blobs on the water surface etc etc etc...
2- The ONE that captured my attention is that building. I would have just have that in the background, and since everything else is cluttered, I would have taken a vertical shot of that building, plus lots of water in the foreground.

goldenlightsag8.jpg

I'm imagining that the river flows of gold coming from that building

3- Alternative was to take the widest angle possible than this.

2nd suggestion is nice the thing is that the left side of the City Hall building is not lighted, yet its a good idea.

3rd suggestion, I did try that using my 12-24mm Tokina lens yet it will get more cluttered since you have the floating platform in the foreground and across it would be the construction site.

Vantage point for this shot is at Shears Bridge during the preparation for the New Year Fireworks at Marina Bay Dec 29, 2007. Did some digging of old photos.

Exif:
- Nikon D50
- 80-200mm f2.8 @ 112mm
- f8, 3secs, ISO 200, Long Exposure NR

Golden%20Lights.jpg

- Is the composition and framing taken just right?
- Does the blown highlights on the lights distract the overall picture?
- Does the title compliment the photo?

There's too much distraction and no main point of focus to draw the attention of the viewer.

I'm not sure if the focus should be City Hall or the cluster of floating lights on the water. Either way, City Hall is under exposeed while the floating lights are burned out and OOF.

On a personal preference point of view, I would rather do a closer vertical crop, brighten up City Hall as the main focus, use the floating lights as the base line and burn the background buildings away. At least this way the main focus would be the Golden Lights of City Hall.

There's too much distraction and no main point of focus to draw the attention of the viewer.

I'm not sure if the focus should be City Hall or the cluster of floating lights on the water. Either way, City Hall is under exposeed while the floating lights are burned out and OOF.

On a personal preference point of view, I would rather do a closer vertical crop, brighten up City Hall as the main focus, use the floating lights as the base line and burn the background buildings away. At least this way the main focus would be the Golden Lights of City Hall.

Nice suggestion on the burning out of the background...haven't really thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.