Golden Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

krozby

Apr 6, 2009
4278983000_ee20690b2a.jpg

Hi CSers,

just tried my luck on a sunrise so happen to have a good spot.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
lighting condition, crop factor.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
correct composition and color tone.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
this sunrise was taken around 530AM using 18-200.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i felt the sun was a bit bown out or saturated. im not sure if its the right term.

please rate the overall qualities of the photo. ( 10 is the highest)
C&C are also welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
yes, made color toning on photoshop. thanks for the CC, tried to apply the rule of thirds here. :)

the color looks abit too fake......i think u put too much saturation...

i will rate it 5/10

Not golden enough for me. Really lack the dramatic punch a real nice golden glow has cos there is too much blue in the photo which overall bring too much of a cool feeling rather than the warm feeling a golden hour should be bringing out.

@LiuLangMao, noted..

@Fireemblem, thanks! undertand your point of view. i'll try to make over the warm effect and cool tone next time ;)

The overblown white is killing the image ....its either

1. you executed the image a little too early or
2 your metering of the situation is off

Also imho too much shadows bottom of image...could do with a crop

I hate tripods but in this case you have little choice...... i also suggest you switch to centre weighted or spot metering and bracket either direction

Applying a 4 or more stop ND (as opposed to the usual call for a GND) and stopping down the lens should really bring that sunset out

There are certainly more opportunities and variations with the above suggestions with other techniques that will do just as well

Colors are ok for me, composition using rule of thirds is good for what you could for the situation. However the overall the scene is too bare. No foreground and very bland sky. If the sun can be better detailed, it can add a subject of interest. A GND will help for that. The colors can be given more punch if you set WB to fluorescent.

@ ed9119, pinholecam thanks for the comments and suggestions..

Looks like the sun is too high, so the area around it is blown out. Personally I feel that the colour is OK, just perhaps a couple of minutes later would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.