Moruzawa

Jun 2, 2008
Sunset.jpg

Equipment: Nikon D40
Aperture: f/16
ISO Speed: 800
Focal Length: 19 mm
Exposure: 1/1000 sec.

This picture of my wife and the sunset behind her was taken at Kranji War Memorial not too long ago.

I was actually pretty disappointed on that particular day because for some reason, I had "photographer's-block" and my pictures didn't turn out well at all. Then as we were getting ready to leave the memorial, I turned around, saw the sunset behind her and quickly took a snap. And this is the result.

Would it look nice if I had cropped out the underexposed bottom part or just leave it as it is? And do the colors look flat? Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
great colors, great sky, not so great silhouette - the action she is doing is blending into the other shadows.. if she was more distinct it would be great. also, more of her would be better - you can do this easily by adjusting perspective and squatting down to shoot up.

and yes, the underexposed bottom is not required. perhaps you can crop to a 3:4 format. and no, the colors do not look flat - when you underexpose overall for a scene during sunset you will never need to worry about colors and contrast. :)

Hey thanks for the feedback! Maybe I should've taken a few shots from different angles at that point of time instead of just shooting one, then gawking at it.. lol thanks again.

This photo is great. I could be better, if your wife
were to stare at the eagle and make better compo.
Hmmm colours and all nice. Good job. :)

great colors, great sky, not so great silhouette - the action she is doing is blending into the other shadows.. if she was more distinct it would be great. also, more of her would be better - you can do this easily by adjusting perspective and squatting down to shoot up.

and yes, the underexposed bottom is not required. perhaps you can crop to a 3:4 format. and no, the colors do not look flat - when you underexpose overall for a scene during sunset you will never need to worry about colors and contrast. :)

I agree with him here.
Its not so bad a picture, i would do the same if I were you, just that most of the time, I take photos alone; she wouldnt tag along with me lah... Hehehe...

Hey thanks for the feedback! Maybe I should've taken a few shots from different angles at that point of time instead of just shooting one, then gawking at it.. lol thanks again.

The common mistake I make also, taking one pic, then gawking it long long wonder wonder, rather than take several from more angles to have plenty to choose from.

Last edited:
Hi

Just curious about your setup. Is there a reason why you use iso 800?

Cheers

IMO the colors look good as it is. You could try boosting the blues a slight bit but then again, that would depend on personal taste. As for the bottom part, yeah I think it needs to be cropped out.

Just to nit-pick. I think the horizon is a WEEE bit tilted which somehow or rather affects the picture a lot to me.

Other than that, I think it's a keeper for your friend! =)

Just an observation, there is a dust spot near to the long thin cloud on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.