Golden Egg???

so from the general response, it is ok to raise the price because the shop need to buy in bulk, need to take a risk, need to pay miscellaneous

and it is ok for the increment

please remember that if they increase 20cents every ------- quarterly, then eggs this year is 70cents, egg next year is $1.5

ok?:sweat:

No it is not OK for increasing the price. It is however OK, when vendor warned you first of the increase and the choice is yours to make whether you want to accept that increase or not. If you don't want to accept, just go to another stall and eat or best still, buy your own raw food and bring home to cook.

I also just realised lol
Sorry shouldn't comment
Conflict of interest!

so from the general response, it is ok to raise the price because the shop need to buy in bulk, need to take a risk, need to pay miscellaneous

please remember that if they increase 20cents every ------- quarterly, then eggs this year is 70cents, egg next year is $1.5

It's ok. Got some rich people in here willing to pay $10 for an egg and find it's cheap due to own theory.

Obviously the market will speak and not buy any eggs from that stall if it is raised in that manner.

That said, have eggs' price from cooked food stalls been raised in such a fashion? If not, your argument is a strawman one, you appear to be taking the view that that people shouldn't agree that the stall can charge 70 cents for an egg because if they continue raising QUARTERLY in that fashion, the egg prices will soar.

Firstly, that has not happened in the past and it remains to be seen if the stall will do so, or if people will accept the stall doing so.

Secondly, no one here is saying that they are ok with the prices being raised in such a fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-man
Sorry. Don't sound familiar at all...

I guess it was just me. I am stingy when it come to money, don't care if I am starving or have craving for whatever food, I make sure that I know exactly how much I am spending.

Good for you.. unfortunately not everyone have the same level of self control
However I think this thread have gone overboard for .2 $, not that I approve the increase :)
Maybe should talk about how to stop price inflation instead. Otherwise no use discussing

Ask the tze char stall to offer quail's eggs instead? :bsmilie:

Well ok maybe no point discussing it also.
Because the underlying cause is population increase squeezing land supply hence the rent increase IMO.
Second is manpower scarcity due to recent hiring restriction. I have no power over both, more importantly, not paid 1 mil $. :think:

so y'all folks can continue to throw eggs to each other.
I'll just buy pop corn, hopefully price not increased... yet :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

No worry. no conflict unless you got extra egg as an optional item in the menu :)

Haha not optional, egg included and non-negotiable!
Introducing deer meat rice with fried egg set - $7.50
No itemization, no breakdown, take-it-or-leave-it

*Mirrored from real life experience, we stopped patronizing, they folded not long after
'twas a pity, food was pretty nice. The wok hei was quite good

Well ok maybe no point discussing it also.
Because the underlying cause is population increase squeezing land supply hence the rent increase IMO.
Second is manpower scarcity due to recent hiring restriction. I have no power over both, more importantly, not paid 1 mil $. :think:

so y'all folks can continue to throw eggs to each other.
I'll just buy pop corn, hopefully price not increased... yet :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

If anything this thread should have taught you that eggs are too expensive and precious to throw at each other!
Catch 'em and fryyyyyyy :D

It is interesting that the government or the media keeps portraying that inflation is very low in Singapore.

However, if you really look around you, not just eggs but other stuff, prices have creped up over time, sometimes you don't even realise it.

The egg travel 1st class on SIA from NZ to SG.
Then the egg take a taxi from Changi to the supermarket at Jurong.
When the chef bought the egg, he travel by bus and MRT.
All the travel expense will be added together and paid by you :bsmilie:

Ya la, COE, ERP.....auntie also take MRT....

Only way to get 40 c egg now is to cook it yourself.

Only way to get 40 c egg now is to cook it yourself.

30 cents will do. 10 eggs at 2.30, plus some oil and fire, haha! If you got a tray of eggs at $5 (idk price, roughly), it might cost 20 cents (or less?)

FYI only from Giant hypermart. If retail price is X, then typically long term commercial supplier bulk purchase direct price to hawker would be much cheaper than X. So if the retail price is 17 cents per egg, long term supplier price direct to hawker may be say, 10 cents to 12 cents.

Oh, I am not entering the debate on the hawker charging 70cts for the egg.

I have personally experienced a ktv nightclub try to charge $450+++ for a below average bottle of red wine that is sold at retail price of $27 in supermarket.
So commercial enterprises have a profit motive and a few (not all) will push the envelope to see to what extent they can over-charge you.

As a consumer, simply reject outrageous price gouging.

One more thing, do not be afraid to lose face. Always ask the price upfront.
Don't be like the HK guy who ate a fish dish without asking the price (for fear of losing face in front of his friends whom he invited to dinner) and complained bitterly afterwards in the media about the $1,200 bill.

GiantHypermart30-eggs-trayprice5-35asat23Dec13.jpg

Last edited:
No lah, sheng siong better. Told you liao. Uncle catchlight also said big one. Giant's is small one. Don't be fool by it's name. LOL

Or maybe as you said, buy raw egg from hawker and go home cook it yourself? LOL