Golden Beetle

Silverback84

Jun 24, 2011

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?

Composition, focus and colours. Any other ways to improve.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?

I'm hoping to share with the audience the bright red under belly and golden back with black polka dots beetle. Also the texture on its back.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Sunny weather with trees as shades.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?

This is my first time trying out macro shots of an insect. I felt that the colour is being brought out nicely but at the further antenna there is some blur.

Kindly comment, please.

Last edited:
I think you will get more advice from macro gallery to be honest. If you examine most of the photos there they mostly share a few traits.

Photographed from the front, tighter framing, sharper depth of field for insect, and the better ones have a nice clear unobtrusive background (some lenses have an advantage but also on your luck and how you compose your subject).

Typing from my mobile now so mostly commenting from memory. Will addon if I find something else to say.

foxtwo said:
I think you will get more advice from macro gallery to be honest. If you examine most of the photos there they mostly share a few traits.

Photographed from the front, tighter framing, sharper depth of field for insect, and the better ones have a nice clear unobtrusive background (some lenses have an advantage but also on your luck and how you compose your subject).

Typing from my mobile now so mostly commenting from memory. Will addon if I find something else to say.

I appreciate your comment and thank you. This image was taken at ISO 400 any tighter and noise would be obvious. Thus I'll try to shoot at ISO 100 which will allow the image to be zoom in. Hmm also will shoot from the front whenever possible.

Do note that if you shoot at lower ISO there is more scope to have handshake, depending on ambient lighting conditions.

THis is heavily cropped? I had a K-r before, ISO400 should be cleaner than this if this isn't cropped too heavily.

My advice is to:

a) get the proper tools for closeups - cropping is fine, but too much isn't the way to go, really; you can use macro converters, extension tubes, etc, if your budget is constrained
b) learn some basics for macro photography and understand DOF, for isolation, understanding that the area in focus is parallel to the sensor will aid you a load in composing closeups - if your intention is to showcase the back patterns of the insect, it might be better to position yourself parallel to the back of the insect and take it from there.