Going to vietnam what lens to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurblur

Aug 10, 2006
Singapore
Hi, I'm new to travelling (Free & Easy) with DSLR. Need some advice on travelling in vietnam & what type of lens should I bring along?

If only bring the 18-250 whether is it enough? And whether can I handcarry the DSLR & tripod into the plane? 3

Thanks

Hi i just went to vietnam last mth, i hand carried my dslr and tripod with me when i left for vietnam but when i was coming back, the vietnam immigration refused to let me pass unless i checked in my tripod. Hope tat helps :)

Depends on ur shooting style and what u intend to get out of the trip. Some ppl bring just one prime and suffice.

But ur 18-250 should be a comfortable zoom to use.

Alternatively u can bring a prime or another that can let u shoot in lower light.

DSLR should be no problem.
But tripod u better check with the airline beforehand.

Ryan

Personally,I would bring all my lenses and the tripod.
If airlines dont allow tripod then dont bring.
zoom lens wont get u fantastic photos but if u really want light then just bring zoom

One Magic Word: Light.

Do not bother bringing a heavy tripod if the trip is not primarily for photography. A proper photography trip is planned differently from a holiday trip in the sense of things like transportation and therefore if its a holiday trip, travel light and enjoy ur holiday.

Of course make sure the person going with u is also ok with u setting shop shootin high and low. The way u enjoy ur holiday might not be the way the other person is going to enjoy it

But

for the sake of discussion, i would think that a tripod IS essential. I hated lugging my almost 2kg tripod but whenever i use it for night shots / dim lighting in churches for example, it reinforced the idea that it is worth it.

My gf didn mind the tripod as long as i was the person carrying it :bsmilie: Just have to convince her that we can take more couple shots with a tripod

Ryan

Hi, I'm new to travelling (Free & Easy) with DSLR. Need some advice on travelling in vietnam & what type of lens should I bring along?

If only bring the 18-250 whether is it enough? And whether can I handcarry the DSLR & tripod into the plane? 3

Thanks

considerations are listed
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317424

basically, think of the subject and occasions if they differ from sg. if there is differences in lighting, reach and speed, you may need special lenses, e.g. large aperture, long tele and fast AF. if not, what you use in sg is what you use in overseas. next consideration is weight, and lens handling habits (some ppl dun like to change lens etc).

personally, I think a WA zoom and a tele prime should cover 95% of what you want to shoot. (for my case, olympus 11-22mm and 50mm f2 macro)

The only thing that I cannot shoot with those two lens is when I need a really long lens when the subject is very small.

Personally I find 18-250 lens not wide enough for landscapes and aperture not big enough for portraits. two of my most common subjects :)

Thanks

I would think that 18-250 has a good coverage. I went Vietnam just a few months back.

I brought:
1. 12-24 F4 for capturing scenery
2. 50 F1.8 for low-light
3. 70-300 for taking candid shots

I also used a Sony T9 for shots when I encountered impromptu shot and my DSLR was not with me. I kept the tripod at home.

For your trip, I suggest you bring a fast lens for low-light or indoor shots.

You can visit my flickr to view some of the vietnam shots. Hope this helps.

My 2 cents worth....

1) 1 Ultra Wide Angel or at least a Wide Angel lens (28mm with f2.8)....

2) 1 lighter 'walkabout' lens - example : 18-XXmm

3) A prime lens - example : 50mm or 85mm

I agree with - giantcanopy - ..... unless weight is really a problem. Better to bring a Tripod and not use it..... then need a Tripod and not have one......:sweat:

You can't fly back 2 days later to 're-shoot' again you know..... better safe than sorry..... :thumbsup:

I went to Hanoi-Sapa-Halong-Catba-HuaLu-TamCoc last year with a 10-22 & 50f1.8 w/o tripod.

What do you plan to do in Vietnam? If you will be in cities where the hotel is just a short distance from your destination, you may consider bringing a tripod. If you are trekking .... then the tripod may be cumbersome, unless you are used to being a mule (just joking, ok?).

18-250 is a good range for travelling. I usually bring 2 bodies and 3 prime lenses - 20,50 and 90. It is best to bring your DSLR as hand on luggage as you wont know how your check in luggage will be handled. :)

Thanks

Curious.. are you using the Sigma or Sony's 18-250 lens?

Though I have not been to Vietnam but for my Cambodia trip, I brought along the 18-200 and 50/1.4. Both lenses had served their purposes though the zoom lens saw a lot more use. The prime saved the day when I was at one of the restaurant and the environment was really dark. The only regret was not bringing a wider lens like the 12-24.

Tripod also came in handy when I need to take couple shots but I must remind myself to get one far lighter than the Manfrotto 055PRO... It is not fun to carry a heavy tripod around and making the trip less enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.