Going to Tokyo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinton

Feb 23, 2005
Ok guys,

I'm heading to tokyo sometime next week.. wondering if you guys have any recommendations on where to buy camera and lenses(if it's gd at all) and what to look out for?

Also, looking for any good photographic spots... ;) 1st time there.

Thanks in advance :)

There are few camera shop like "Yodoyabashi" and "Bic Camera". They have all the camera and lens for sale. You can try it on your hands personally. You can also ask for tax rebate but do remember to bring your passport with you.

Which part of Tokyo are you staying at?

There is a second hand shop at Shinjuku. Call "Map Camera" and there are a few second hand shop at Ikebukuro too.

Try to do some search in Clubsnap, this was discussed sometime ago.

quinton said:
Ok guys,

I'm heading to tokyo sometime next week.. wondering if you guys have any recommendations on where to buy camera and lenses(if it's gd at all) and what to look out for?

Also, looking for any good photographic spots... ;) 1st time there.

Thanks in advance :)

For addresses and maps of retailers check out www.photojpn.org

Things are not as good as they used to be. The retailers are not discounting as much as before. The photo depts of the large chain stores have shrunk considerably in the last few years and they are moving towards selling other electronic goods.

Fujiya camera is a good place to visit.

thanks for the replies... apologise to mod..

any idea on warranty in Japan?

no one? Japan warranty for nikon lenses is international?? or just local only?

Lenses and accessories like flashes have international warranty but you will need to get the receipt in order for Canon Singapore to recognise the 1 year warranty.

Most of the lenses are more ex or same price as what you can find in Singapore. But a few selected models may be cheaper. To know which ones are cheaper and worth the trouble carrying back, you will have to do homework to check out all the Singapore prices 1st. :)

Bring lots of Yen if you prepare to buy stuffs.....they generally offer more discount for cash than a credit card payment....my last experience was 4% different when I made purchase at Sakuraya just about 2 mths+ ago :thumbsup:

Bring your passport along when you buy big ticket items so that you don't have to pay goods and services tax.

Tokyo tower. Nice spot in the day and night. Weekends at harajuku. Sometimes you'll get small rock bands setting up in the park at harajuku. Ueno is also pretty nice, with their art gallery. They don't tell you this, but the homeless sleep in canvas tents in the park at ueno. Shinjuku at night is also quite interesting with the lights and all.

What is really interesting is that even though they might dress up like reject punks, they're still quite polite .... very different from the kids here. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.