Going to take photos in a garden in NZ - what lens to bring?

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
This is my current setup - Nikon D80, 18-200mm VR, 50mm, and a Raynox Macro clip-on for the 50mm.

I'm going to New Zealand for a business trip, but will have some free time to take pictures in the gardens and national park. What lens is good for taking photos in a garden? I expect to take some macros + wide view shots. Should I buy a 2nd hand macro lens, and if so what focal length?

What's the difference between the macro clip-on and a dedicated macro lens? I'm open to buying a proper macro lens if the benefit is much greater than the clip-on.

Last edited:
Easy answer: what lenses do you use when shooting gardens in singapore? Go to the Botanic garden and try. Easy and logical, right? It's not like the gardens in new Zealand require other lenses.

As for clip on vs. Dedicated macro, please read the excellent stickies and guides posted in the macro section

100mm f2.8 macro + an off shoe flash

and a tripod

Last edited:
I think if someone selling a lens label printed with "For NZL garden photography" you sure buy one. ;)

Just my thoughts. I would forget about macro in NZ. Bring a wide angle lens for sceneries. Enjoy the beautiful sights, beautiful sunset and sunrise, mountains etc.

In NZ, I did not find the wide diversity of insects as compared to tropical countries. If you like to take flowers, then probably you should bring your macro lens.

Just my thoughts. I would forget about macro in NZ. Bring a wide angle lens for sceneries. Enjoy the beautiful sights, beautiful sunset and sunrise, mountains etc.

In NZ, I did not find the wide diversity of insects as compared to tropical countries. If you like to take flowers, then probably you should bring your macro lens.

Don't forget your ND and GND filters! .... and FLW Magenta, and polarizers.... well, just bring all filters you have, and enjoy!!

Last edited:
I think if someone selling a lens label printed with "For NZL garden photography" you sure buy one. ;)

And "Wedding photography lens" and "Landscape lens".

Not forgetting what settings to use for wedding photography, what settings for landscape, what settings for children.

If only there is a preset magic setting for each situation.

Traditionally one of the reasons of using a SLR is because it offers users to gain control over the camera, but nowadays it just buying to look pro.

To help people with looking pro, camera companies had come up with these to help, after the user had selected a mode to use, he can proud declare is in control of the camera:

Man with star logo is for shooting night people, maybe aliens, or national day?
Building with moon logo is for shooting night building, maybe shoot the moon, or autumn festivals.
Running man logo for shooting running people and children.
Flower logo for shooting flower and maybe garden.
Mountain logo for shooting mountains and maybe hills.
Lady with hat logo for shooting women, xiaomeimeis, and not sure if shoot man ok or not.
Auto is for all the above, in case you encounter situations you not sure.
The MASP is not sure for what, nevermind just ignore.

Sorry for the OT.

205559871_4fb2f56b3d_b.jpg

Last edited:
red_ryder said:
This is my current setup - Nikon D80, 18-200mm VR, 50mm, and a Raynox Macro clip-on for the 50mm.

I'm going to New Zealand for a business trip, but will have some free time to take pictures in the gardens and national park. What lens is good for taking photos in a garden? I expect to take some macros + wide view shots. Should I buy a 2nd hand macro lens, and if so what focal length?

What's the difference between the macro clip-on and a dedicated macro lens? I'm open to buying a proper macro lens if the benefit is much greater than the clip-on.

Unless you are a macro enthusiast, I would not bother about buying a dedicated macro lens for Nz trip. There are trade offs for using macro filters but I think for the occasional macro the raynox clip on should do.

If anything adding a wide zoom would be great at least for me. Else the 18-200 & the 50mm will give good coverage.

Ryan

Buy a macro lenses just for a NZ biz trip? That's a good excuse to buy anything.
Just make do with what you have. If just to record your trip, and get some photos if NZ gardens and park, your 18-200mm vr lenses will be sufficient.

check out TS post history, he bought many gears specifically for trips,
so please recommend a specific camera system with will specially work well in gardens of New Zealand. :)

Get a wide lens to shoot scenery. A macro lens if you are into flowers, insects, butterflies, etc. Should be suffice.

erm. why not rent 1?

had been to NZ afew times and cos as a singaporean, i'd advise u to bring a wide angle,you'll hardly find view like dat in most other countries,
pls do try to rent a car and move around, ANYWHERE away from city did look like u'll need somewhere 8-16mm,AMAZING!!!!
not saying garden's not good, juz saying dat NZ is 1 of my fav for landscape, btw "lord of the ring" oso was shot there, but if u can only bring 1 lens, den i would choose a 18-200,
more space den a wide angle bro :)