going to take fireworks this national day!

radiancez567

Jul 8, 2012
N/A
using d3100. any good and cheap wireless shutter release?

been looking at this aputure trigmaster 3in1 plus, seems not bad.

or any tip to taking better fireworks picture? i'm using bulb mode and f9-f11.

For "how to take a firework picture", please refer to the previous 100+ threads on the same topic.

Define 'good and cheap', then check the Mass Sales section. For wireless keep in mind, those using IR signals need to be put in front of the cam where the sensor is and they will have 2s or 10s delay (depending on cam settings). 2s later most fireworks is gone. Have a look at those triggers that use the wired connector at the cam to get instant shutter release when you press the button.

Last edited:
There are literally hundreds of wireless shutter release available both in ebay and in the store or just get the Nikon original one which I don't think would cost too much... and all of them worked well, depending on what features you want... alternatively, you can get the wired remote control which is going off at a very very cheap price...

As to what tip to shoot firework...

1) tripod
2) remote control - wired or wireless (personally I am using a wired one)
3) black card (optional - personally I have not use that before)
4) Your camera
5) lens (normally UWA lens is prefered, but not all the time, depending on what you want to shoot, what is your framing and composition, I have read that you can achieve great firework shots using tele lens too.)
6) Lots of water and/or beer (to quench your thirst)
7) Food (I would expect yourself to get to the location early to chop a place for yourself, so food is important)

As to how to shoot firework, you can read up alot in the internet. For me, I normally choose a spot that I wanted, frame my photo, then thats it. When the firework started, I press my trigger hold (depending on the firework shots) for 1 to 3 or 4sec. For the red firework, I try not to go pass 3sec for it will overexpose my shots.

And thats it.

there is no IR for d3100 so im looking for those that uses radio signals. so there's no need for line of sight problem. by cheap i guess not beyond $50?

thanks rhino123 for the comprehensive reply. yep the wired nikon shutter release is good but i would want to try wireless, multi purpose, can trigger flash, and also convenient group shots.

The wired one I imagine will give you better control in this situation. You need to know when to open up the shutter, and not need to fumble and see if the camera detected / blocked signals etc

Read up, learn about the black card technique, choose the right spot for your pre-planned composition early and wait for the fireworks!

One of the many good YouTube video tutorials about fireworks photography.

[video=youtube;mj8POiF3XfA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8POiF3XfA[/video]

For the number of people there shooting at every singapore fireworks, I would go wired. Cheap and good, If using wireless, you risk crossing signals and you might be firing off other people's camera, or some other person firing off your camera.

Agreed with DD. That is why I never go wireless when I know there are massive number of people on that date.

yes never thought of that! considering the range is pretty large, like 100m. quite possible someone using the same model wireless trigger and on the same wireless channel.

For the number of people there shooting at every singapore fireworks, I would go wired. Cheap and good, If using wireless, you risk crossing signals and you might be firing off other people's camera, or some other person firing off your camera.

Hmm.. come to think of it I never encounter such situation.

Hmm.. come to think of it I never encounter such situation.
There's always a first time. Given the fact that many people leave default settings where they are it's a matter of time and statistics in a crowd of photographers :)