Going to shanghai!


Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2005
174
0
0
#1
hey guys, going to shanghai next week.
so any recommendations?
like:
must eats?
must go to?
big huge camera stores?
electronics stores?
nice phototaking spots?

also, anyone know where to buy north face jackets there? heard that it's cheap yet REAL there!
 

Clown

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
3,780
1
38
Singapore
#3
1) din tai feng at xintiandi - order the xiao long bao
2) all over
3) forgot how to get there liao
4) pacific plaza at xu jia hui, beside metro city
5) can try going to yu yuan
6) go to xiang yang market at huai hai zhong lu. north face jacket bargain down to 100rmb (20sgd)
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#4
If you go shanghai to eat Dingtaifeng then i think a bit wasted lah... try the Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao at the Hu Xin Ting teahouse inside CHeng Huang Miao.

For sightseeing, the usual place will be Bund, Pudong (Jin Mao Building or Oriental Pearl TV Tower, take your pick), Cheng Huang Miao, Yu Yuan.

Xiang Yang market is a must go... if you pay 50% of what they asked, you pay too much!
 

Clown

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
3,780
1
38
Singapore
#5
yar final bargain price should be 20% of wat they quote.
 

cookiez

New Member
Oct 6, 2003
419
0
0
#6
Clown said:
yar final bargain price should be 20% of wat they quote.

sure or not ? i dun want to get thrown out from the shops :embrass: :embrass:
 

Lensman

New Member
Feb 12, 2002
903
0
0
47
Singapore & Hong Kong
#8
The original chinese DVDs are very very cheap & good quality.

RMB10 - 20 each. Bought a bunch back the last time.

Only peeve is that the copyright screen can be a bit long winded and at times there is the film china distributor logo poping at the corner of the show....
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#9
If you go the the Xiang Yang flea market, be very, very careful of pickpockets. They are the Wulin Gauzhou there. Safest to put money, passport, Hp inside your cam bag - a padded cam bag very safe la. For that matter, any crowded places, be very careful.
 

Clown

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
3,780
1
38
Singapore
#10
Lensman said:
The original chinese DVDs are very very cheap & good quality.

RMB10 - 20 each. Bought a bunch back the last time.

Only peeve is that the copyright screen can be a bit long winded and at times there is the film china distributor logo poping at the corner of the show....
dvd is 5rmb.. dun get conned.
i stayed there for over a month recently.
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#13
cookiez said:
sure or not ? i dun want to get thrown out from the shops :embrass: :embrass:
U get thrown out of the shop is a good thing :p
just hop right into another shop lah!

i always "claimed" that the other store is offering me say RMB90 already so why should i pay you RMB100 etc... so max they can charge you is RMB90 already... :) happy bargaining...

As for Snowing in Shanghai at this time.... i think it's indeed rare but i predicts winter will come earlier this year as i can feel the temperature is indeed lower than previous years... so bring more clothes... for conveniences, wear more layers than thick clothes so you can always remove one layer or more if too warm....
 

Oct 11, 2005
174
0
0
#14
Xing said:
It's snowing in ShangHai yesterday, quite rare though. Bring warm clothings :)
wow...really ar? good man, got chance to take snowy shots of Shanghai which is quite rare!
 

Oct 11, 2005
174
0
0
#15
smallaperture said:
If you go the the Xiang Yang flea market, be very, very careful of pickpockets. They are the Wulin Gauzhou there. Safest to put money, passport, Hp inside your cam bag - a padded cam bag very safe la. For that matter, any crowded places, be very careful.
should i padlock my bags when i am carrying them?
 

Oct 11, 2005
174
0
0
#16
Stefen said:
M on the bund for a splurge and great meal!

nice night photography either from the top of peace hotel or m on the bund.
is M a restaurant or a hotel? or a restaurant in a hotel?
the food there is good? how expensive can it be? what style of food-chinese?
hehe...i'm so lucky, staying in peace hotel, so can have convenient night shots with my newly bought tripod!
 

boroangel

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
431
0
0
#17
maritimus831 said:
is M a restaurant or a hotel? or a restaurant in a hotel?
the food there is good? how expensive can it be? what style of food-chinese?
hehe...i'm so lucky, staying in peace hotel, so can have convenient night shots with my newly bought tripod!
Isn't Peace Hotel the one thats rumoured to be haunted?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom