Going to San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi guys

I am going San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas end of this month.

My equipment includes

- D80 Kit
- 50mm F1.8
- Metz Mecablitz 32z1
- SLik tripod
- crumpler 6 million dollar home.

Do you guys think it is sufficient for travel photography?

Any interesting places I should go? This trip is not a photography trip, more like a leisure trip. Will be going in a grp of 12.

Any nice pics you've taken there? Kindly post it up here.

Only 50mm? Try getting hold of 12-24mm or 18-200 vr.

Your equipment is fine. A longer lens (say 200 mm) will let you capture the bigger sites, such as the Bay Bridge, the beautiful hillside houses of Sausalito, etc.

50mm may be too long for you to take landscape shots unless it is mainly portraits or you dun mind stepping back to take each shot that is...

I'd suggest you get at least a 18-70mm or the 24-120..

If you can afford to buy or borrow, get the 18-200mm VR.

50mm may be too long for you to take landscape shots unless it is mainly portraits or you dun mind stepping back to take each shot that is...

I do have the kit lens 18-135. So thats fine. Im thinking whether to get an additional 12-24, would the 6mm be worth the 700+ to get it?

What do you guys think?

I do have the kit lens 18-135. So thats fine. Im thinking whether to get an additional 12-24, would the 6mm be worth the 700+ to get it?

What do you guys think?

Kit lens + 12~24 will be great.. but IMHO 6mm will be quite useless for SF landscape.. :)

Bring Cir Polariser and a warm jacket. It will be windy and chilly in SF even in summer :)

Kit lens + 12~24 will be great.. but IMHO 6mm will be quite useless for SF landscape.. :)

Oops, seems like you got my meaning wrong.

What I meant was the extra 6mm (18-12mm), is it worth the $700 to buy?

Bring Cir Polariser and a warm jacket. It will be windy and chilly in SF even in summer :)

Thanks!

Heard from my colleague that the sky is already very blue. Adding another CPL would deem it unnatural.

What are your opinions? Of course if I can bring everything, it would be ideal. But as this is a leisure trip, was thinking the less the better.

It can gets cold at night an extra wind breaker wont hurt rather than fall sick there.

I have myself with a rental car plus more than 30kg for cam gear.

that is alot!!

Able to post some pics u shot?

Would love to see some pics...

hi

i went to these places as well in june. i had with me 18-200VR, sigma 10-20 and 35mm, on a D80 as well. The most used lense was 18-200, but many of these images were shot at 18mm. 2nd most used was 10-20.

so if u have to choose only a telephoto zoom, or a wide angle zoom, i recommend the wide angle.. there is not much of a need for u to be sneaky there, unless u wan candid expressions. even then, i shot at 18mm for them, from hip and waist.

but tts jus my style ba.

Cheers!

you dont need too wide, i found 18 decently wide enough for me, although at times i felt the need for a bit more towards the golden gate bridge.

stuff to do in san fran

1. Fisherman's wharf, try the boudin sourdough and clam chowder! with the cold weather and hot tasty soup its woo!!
2. Go coit tower for a nice view arnd sanfran
3. Take a drive down lombard street, super crooked road on a slope
4. Walk a 45 degree slope in sanfran, which is no joke...
5. Go to chinatown, drop by golden gate bakery and eat the egg tarts.. superb!
6. go to golden gate bridge
7. go to golden gate park
8. Alcatraz! must book early, or can book online too.
9. take the caltrain out of sanfran, along the way enjoy the nice scenery of the outskirts of town, the hilly areas
10. go to sausalito and napa valley~but.. TRY not to buy wine cuz cannot hand carry on board flight...!!

etc etc.. will add on if i i can remember anything else..

Wow, looks like there are quite a number of brudders going to San Francisco, I'll be stopping by San Francisco for 2 days on 24 Aug enroute to Arizona for a conference :) Prob lug my 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F4 (Canon set-up), together with the camera body, it's prob going to be a 7-8kg set-up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.