going to Rome Italy. is it safe to bring dSLR and lenses there?

adfvr

Sep 11, 2008
Behind VF
Hi all,

I am going to Rome (1st trip) with family by end of this month.
I plan to bring my Canon 6D, 16-35L, 50mm 1.4 and 580EX flash.
I check from google that Rome is famous for pickpocket and scams.
Do you have any experience to bring your full frame dslr camera and lenses there?

Regards,
Anthony

Suggest that if you carry your equipment in a camera bag, the bag must be in front of you. Not side or back. Better not have your wallet or money in your pockets .... that's their favourite target. Watch out especially when in train / MRT stations or buses.

The worst place in my experience is Paris !!!

Dont expose your expensive equipments in front of people when you're in Rome.
Use a money belt to keep your money as pick pocket in Rome is really !@#%

Last edited:
I am just back from Rome two weeks ago. I brought Nikon D7100 with three lenses in Vanguard Uprise 45. I had no problem.

Hi all,

I am going to Rome (1st trip) with family by end of this month.
I plan to bring my Canon 6D, 16-35L, 50mm 1.4 and 580EX flash.
I check from google that Rome is famous for pickpocket and scams.
Do you have any experience to bring your full frame dslr camera and lenses there?

Regards,
Anthony

Generally Europe is pretty safe. Singapore is safer, sure, but it's not like the streets of Europe are plagued by hordes of people out for tourists to knock-off :)

I've taken various DSLRs & tons of gear to all the main cities and never had a problem. With simple, common sense precautions you will be fine -

* when not shooting, keep everything zipped up in a bag. Having a sturdy shoulder strap when carrying the camera openly will be better than the crappy ones the camera comes with (and easier to snap fleeting moments you see too)
* use common sense at night - if you are shooting a major sight, such as the colosseum, using a tripod you will be fine. Wandering around back streets far from tourists or other people may be less safe, but will still PROBABLY be ok.
* scams - no idea what you mean by this?
* remember that Rome is full of other local and tourist photographers. Brazen daylight robbery of a ton of SLR equipment is EXCEEDINGLY rare, about as rare as here in Singapore. You will be one of thousands of people taking photos across the city at any given moment.
* pickpockets are a risk anywhere and JB is much more dangerous in that regard. Keep your wallet as safe and secure as your camera and you'll be fine. Remember theives in any country are looking for an EASY target, not someone who has taken precautions, is self aware and might conceivably fight back.
* there will be people wielding more expensive kit and more of it than you. I've seen PRC tourists in Rome & Paris with THREE 1DX hanging from their neck, each with a different pro-grade lens attached. The biggest risk for them is back strain :D

Remember, if there is someone hell-bent on stealing gear then if it's a choice between you and someone not taking simple, sensible precautions they would go for the easier target. But fact is, you will be fine if you just apply common sense. Don't let the fact Singapore is unnaturally safe put you off enjoying the holiday and the photographic opportunities. Rome is not Syria or Iraq ;)

Have a great trip :)

Yes it is safe. Just be careful and dont worry too much. Enjoy your travel. :)

Have awareness of your surroundings and not let your guard down especially in crowded area and on public transport. Carry bags and valueable in front, anything behind will not be yours for long.

Just wanted to offer something slightly different - bring only what you really need so you can focus more on enjoying your trip than being consumed by shooting :)

I traveled all over Europe and used a sling bag with the camera on front of me. Most thefts are where they distract you and pcik your pockets. I always have a dummy purse in my back pocket with around 5 euros in it. Never been stolen. Maybe I don't look rich :)

please do share your experience and what equipments that u brought for your trip?

i suggest you to leave the flash behind and put your camera in front of you all the time. be cautious

i had my DSLR with me when i was in Europe for 2 weeks. Generally a great place for photography...

Precautions are always necessary regardless of the place you are going (even in Singapore). Don't let yourself be a prey!

just try not to look dumb/touristy and scout the place well. Know the place where you are going to avoid the dumb tourist look (looking at map, looking at the sky, tentative movement, etc., you know the dumb look).
Google street map works well and know which train stop you are alighting and which exit.
I have shot at Rome and Paris middle of the night (1-3am) and nobody bothered me but I was using my Fuji System so it's a little small. We Asians tend to be easy prey to these nasty folks but try to blend in if possible.

Hoodie jacket over my head + cap and nobody bothered .

I am just back from Rome two weeks ago. I brought Nikon D7100 with three lenses in Vanguard Uprise 45. I had no problem.

What are the 3 lenses that u brought and which was ur most used lens in Italy?

I have been to Europe 8 times and I must say I was unfortunate to experience the infamous pickpockets at Rome terminus subway. No problems with camera gears/bag but lost a handphone. The modus operandi is that a bunch of youths will surround you as you enter the subway compartment, while you push off one guy another will snatch your pockets and all of them will rush out the train compartment before the door closes. This is done quite blatantly, quite unlike the impression of pickpockets who go about stealing surreptitiously.

I have been to Europe 8 times and I must say I was unfortunate to experience the infamous pickpockets at Rome terminus subway. No problems with camera gears/bag but lost a handphone. The modus operandi is that a bunch of youths will surround you as you enter the subway compartment, while you push off one guy another will snatch your pockets and all of them will rush out the train compartment before the door closes. This is done quite blatantly, quite unlike the impression of pickpockets who go about stealing surreptitiously.

I frequent Europe for work matters and must say situation like these are especially bad in Rome and Paris.
Not just groups of youngsters, but there are pros who dresses like well-off gentlemen and ladies, even like tourist, and yes they mostly operates in groups of 2 or more. In crowded places, i have gotten upto 4 attempts in a day. We asian stands out no matter how we dress or behave. Keep your awareness of your surround high, keep cash and valueable in hidden pouches. They see u they'll come for u. Best to have camera out of sight and wear your backpack infront. I have abided by these simple measures and have yet to lose anything despite numberous "attacks".

The thieves in Rome tend to be the direct type, rather than those who sneak up and swipe your wallet...
They work in teams... so just beware..

generally in popular tourist spots in europe, especially barcelona, rome, paris, prague, we asians really stick out amongst the sea of people:
1) asian - risk factor x 3
2) asian with eyes wide open, mouth slightly opened, engrossed at tourist sights - risk factor x 6
3) with DSLR and lenses - risk factor x 10

Just returned few days ago from Paris and Italy.. Rome especially was e most dangerous city for me.. Be on high alert especially in popular major tourist attractions..

Hi Guys.
I'll be going for 2 weeks holiday to France & Italy holiday with family. In middle of June to early July. Will be bring my 7R with the following lens, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f4. & 55 f1.8. Mostly doing Landscape & family photos shooting. Not sure about bring tripod alone. Hope that I can get advise fr all of you. So is it safe to bring the following gears alone my trip & any other advise to enhance the safety of family members & gears.
Thank you guys in advance for yr kind advise.
ML

Last edited: