Going to Nepal. Preparations?

seezhijie

Nov 8, 2010
Malaysia
Hi I'll be going to Nepal soon for a 5-day-or-so trip. It's the first time I'm going overseas other than China 4 years back (before I started photography) and Malaysia like every year (so I got bored shooting). I have a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 250 to accompany me.

My equipment list:
D7000 probably w/ grip
18-105
55-200
50 1.8D
Maybe a MacBook Air
Tripod
accessories like chargers, cables, cards etc

Coz people have warned me about thefts and airport officials getting greedy (not those in SG of coz) and stealing stuff. So I'm wondering what shifus here do to keep their equipment safe as much as possible? Not just crossing customs but also along the streets

1. Leave the grip at home. A grip will only add weight and make you look more of a target.
2. Bring lots of extra batteries. Cold will shorten battery life a lot.
3. Get a sling strap, like black rapid, etc... so you can sling the camera across body at all times.
4. Never take out anything, never show any thing of value openly if not necessary.
5. Be mindful of your surroundings at all times.
6. hand carry your camera bag at all times. Even if they ask you to check it in, violently protest and refuse to do so.

Read this before the trip... tons of good advice here:
Karl Grobl :: Humanitarian Photojournalism | More travel tips

Last edited:
Your electronics should be in your carry on luggage if you are worried.

Any reason to bring your macbook along? There are many internet cafes there, some would even help you transfer your images from CF card into a disc.

Along the streets, I personally have not met with any trouble. But Nepal or other places, common sense of looking after your things apply.

ahbian said:
Your electronics should be in your carry on luggage if you are worried.

Any reason to bring your macbook along? There are many internet cafes there, some would even help you transfer your images from CF card into a disc.

Along the streets, I personally have not met with any trouble. But Nepal or other places, common sense of looking after your things apply.

I probably won't bring the MacBook along. Only leave it in the hotel to transfer at the end of the day. People there know about tripods right? -.-

I probably won't bring the MacBook along. Only leave it in the hotel to transfer at the end of the day. People there know about tripods right? -.-

Don't even bring the macbook. Bring more SD cards.

seezhijie said:

Never assume the hotels are safe. Even in hotel, secure all your belongings with some security device. Pacsafe is a good one. Most thefts are not on the streets but hotel rooms.

Yes they know about tripods. A lot of photographers go to Nepal. Tripod/monopod makes a good club as well.

Last edited:
i was in nepal for 17 days in dec. nepal is a very safe place. i can walk in the streets at night (sometimes in near total darkness) and it is totally safe. the locals are very friendly if you get to interact with them.

of course having say that please do exercise basic common sense and trust your gut feeling if you start to feel uneasy or suspicious.

have a good trip!

What I meant was not to bring it to Nepal in the first place, especially since its such a short trip of 5 days. You could probably get by with more memory cards and/or burn the images to CD at the internet cafes over there.

Tripods are not that uncommon in Nepal, many landscape photographers go there. Which region of Nepal are you aiming for?

ahbian said:
What I meant was not to bring it to Nepal in the first place, especially since its such a short trip of 5 days. You could probably get by with more memory cards and/or burn the images to CD at the internet cafes over there.

Tripods are not that uncommon in Nepal, many landscape photographers go there. Which region of Nepal are you aiming for?

Close to Dalai Lama

The cities would be dusty, so try to minimize the lens changes on your body.

That said, 55-200 seems to over lap in range with your 18-105, so probably no need?

With regards to valuables, my "rule-of-thumb" is to bring only what I can carry during the day, out of the accommodation, so no or minimal valuables will be left unattended.

Enjoy your trip.

cheers

I guess the answers are all the same. But screw this. My mom said the timing is changed and it's not in favour of me. Guess my trip is over -.-