Going to JB..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbiez

Nov 27, 2002
wonderland
blk13.lorcamto.com
i am planning a trip to Johor Bahru, mainly will be for shopping and makan. Any recommendations and what to avoid etc? Thanks heaps!

will be travelling by public transport.

i am planning a trip to Johor Bahru, mainly will be for shopping and makan. Any recommendations and what to avoid etc? Thanks heaps!

Avoid it entirely if you can...

But then, most will say, no harm going, only bad news gets reported, good news rarely spreads.

Just don't flaunt too much of your belongings, and don't stand by the side of the road while making a call. Cos the motorbikes will just come and do a snatch run. Fren from JB told me this, common sight already.

Avoid it entirely if you can...

But then, most will say, no harm going, only bad news gets reported, good news rarely spreads.

Just don't flaunt too much of your belongings, and don't stand by the side of the road while making a call. Cos the motorbikes will just come and do a snatch run. Fren from JB told me this, common sight already.

This is what i'm doing for the past few years, and will continue doing it until things get better, even my friends stay there told me the same things.

Dont appear rich. Travel in group (preferably 5 or more).
Dont flaut your money.
Dress modestly so you get mistaken as Malaysian.

Dont flaut your money.

Malaysian really that bad?

It's not Malaysia per se but the Johor area has a relatively high (albeit unreported) crime rate. I know a retiree couple who travel to Johor on a weekly basis for makan and shopping and watching movies. So far nothing bad happened except one the wife slipped off the kerb during a rainy day. Hehe.

Malaysian really that bad?

They dont dress in micro mini shirt etc, no spagetti strap or tube, at least not in public.
Dont have to wear tudung one la but need to cover up a bit more.

Last edited:
Dont flaut your money.

Dress as you feel comfortable traveling. Its more commonly your wallet , watch , and handbag / manbag that catches people's eye. Of course Gold Chain / Necklaces and Diamond Ear rings are preferably avoided for most oversea countries that you're visiting until you have a good feel of the place.

Identifying a non Malaysian sometimes is as simple as walking next to you and hear you speak.

i am a Malaysian by default....kena snatched few years back.
if u come by private car...Welcome!
if u come by public transport....good luck!

But there is a place i can u may try, City Square. Clear the custom, walk follow the signboard towards JB central/City Square. Shop & eat in the shopping mall, DON'T walk out of the mall!

My mum and I go to larkin by sbs bus no problem. dress like auntie and loyal servant, I mean heavy bag carrier. LOL.
She like to shop at the wet market.

Status
Not open for further replies.