Going to JB - Drive or Take a Bus?

Going to JB - Drive or Take a Bus?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imaginary_number

Feb 3, 2002
Singapore
Might be going over to JB for CNY. Do guys think it's better to take public transport there or drive in? Have read about car thefts, vandalism and the like and I'm a little worried about driving in.

Any good feedback/advice?

imaginary_number said:
Might be going over to JB for CNY. Do guys think it's better to take public transport there or drive in? Have read about car thefts, vandalism and the like and I'm a little worried about driving in.

Bring your car lah...get extra steering wheel lock and don't park at quiet area.
I think you can't avoid vandals, I never got vandalised in Malaysia (KL, Malacca, Johor) even I often travel there. BUT some one scratch my car intentionally at Changi VIllage form front bumper until rear bumper........sianz.
No need to worry too much, you will find that taking bus to JB when you have a car is time consuming experience.

If it is for a short trip, I think taking a bus is fine -- you may avoid the hassle of being stuck in a traffic jam by just hopping off the bus & walk.

But if you have lots of things to carry, etc. Then a car is OK. Just have to be alert when you park your car, walk to your car & when driving away.

Which part of JB are you going to?

Knighthunter said:
Bring your car lah...get extra steering wheel lock and don't park at quiet area.
I think you can't avoid vandals, I never got vandalised in Malaysia (KL, Malacca, Johor) even I often travel there. BUT some one scratch my car intentionally at Changi VIllage form front bumper until rear bumper........sianz.
No need to worry too much, you will find that taking bus to JB when you have a car is time consuming experience.

Hmm.. thanks for the advice. I guess the problem would be finding a steering lock during the public holidays. :think:

nyxx88 said:
If it is for a short trip, I think taking a bus is fine -- you may avoid the hassle of being stuck in a traffic jam by just hopping off the bus & walk.

But if you have lots of things to carry, etc. Then a car is OK. Just have to be alert when you park your car, walk to your car & when driving away.

Which part of JB are you going to?

Actually just going over to visit relatives. They told me their place is a 10 mins drive away from the causeway.

If you are visiting relatives, then I assume you would be going to residential neighbourhoods. Usually it is OK to park in such places (of course, steering wheel lock wouldn't hurt :p).

It is typically the shopping centers frequented by SG shoppers that are favorite targets.

may be depends what car you are driving? leave your ferrari or porsche at home and drive a proton to keep a low profile? :p

Take a bus. You can take a taxi home later if you do a lot of shopping. Unless you are going to a few places for makan in the outskirts, then a car is more preferred.

Whether parking your car in a isolated area or not, if the vandals want to do something to it there is no stopping them. Vandals and car theives are are daring nowadays. Let me put you in a situation.....

If you actually saw someone trying to steal your car, what are you going to do even if you shout at them and they would not budge? Are you seriously going to challenge them? I can bet with you right now they are far more daring than you. So this is my advice to all of you who really wants to drive to JB. Even if there was 4 of you all and 2 of them, I am pretty sure you dare not even approach them.

Remember, they have parangs and guns. So I would really think twice about driving in. Guys and gals, dress as casual as you can. And don't keep saying the food and the things are cheap! Guys I am not scaring you. Of course not all parts of Malaysia and JB is like that. Just a word of precaution.

Pro Image said:
.......If you actually saw someone trying to steal your car, what are you going to do even if you shout at them and they would not budge? Are you seriously going to challenge them? I can bet with you right now they are far more daring than you. So this is my advice to all of you who really wants to drive to JB. Even if there was 4 of you all and 2 of them, I am pretty sure you dare not even approach them.

You can always take a photo of them and give it to the police or the newspaper?

Sion said:
The best way to JB is to take a long slow walk there and take some photos along the way.

but remember better not to take pic near the check point because there are sensitive installations. i remember that someone was stopped by the police even when he was shooting from a car.

Sion said:
You can always take a photo of them and give it to the police or the newspaper?

Well as I said, I dun think you will be carrying a 70-200, 28-200 or a 300mm lens right with you? Shooting them from a close range? Well you can try and see what will happend when you manage to get their a shot of them......! Let me know the results if you get any good shot.

imaginary_number said:

Hi there,
if you are going to JB,Please do take care your equipment cos there is alot of beggers and thief over there.And is not safe to bring such a expensive gear there.

:nono:

imaginary_number said:
Hmm.. thanks for the advice. I guess the problem would be finding a steering lock during the public holidays. :think:

Steering lock is only 10 bucks, get it from Autobacs or Carrefour (Is the spelling correct?). I always keep one in my boot. Driving to Malaysia is a very pleasant journey for me, just came back from Sungai Renggit in Johor last week. But honestly I found that Malaysian driver as experienced and gentlement. I almost got accident because of SG drive at two single lane traffic. I over took him when almost half car he accelerate, of course I am not prepared, and didn't give me chance to filter left even there oncming traffic. I had to brake hard then filter behind him! I never had this experience with Malaysian driver (with Mal registered car), sometime I feel SG drive has ego like EF 50 f.10
I still overtook him at the end...my driving pace is faster then him.
Just my observation do not flame me.......

Knighthunter said:
I found that Malaysian driver as experienced and gentlement. I almost got accident because of SG drive at two single lane traffic. I over took him when almost half car he accelerate, of course I am not prepared, and didn't give me chance to filter left even there oncming traffic. I had to brake hard then filter behind him! I never had this experience with Malaysian driver (with Mal registered car), sometime I feel SG drive has ego like EF 50 f.10
I still overtook him at the end...my driving pace is faster then him.
Just my observation do not flame me.......

It is not because he is a Malaysian or a Singaporean, it is because he is a newbie. It takes years to become a good driver. Our licence do not make us one.
It is not skill or knowledge that is the toughest ot train but our attitude.

Are we a 'newbie' driver? Our honest answers to the following seven attitudes statement will speak of our status:

a. My driving skills is very high cannot be improved anymore.
b. Driving on the road is mass movement, not a mass waltz. Move it man!
c. Speed limit is a guide. 10 percent of my drive is above the speed limit and there are no accident and no scrapes. That proves it.
d. I can listen to loud music or even the handphone normally and drive safely.
e. It is not my duty to give way when others signal their intent. I have a choice to make.
f. Signalling early when changing lane is stupid. The other driver will sabo me.
g. The carpark area, esp at my own home area, are the safest place to drive.

Yes, these are deceptively simple but actually tough questions. A 'yes' answer to any of the above earns one a brand new newbie licence with one year warranty. :bsmilie:

It is not the number of years of driving that makes one a good driver. It is the number of years of good driving that can hornes us to be the Adam Ansel of the road.

imaginary_number said:
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Eventually, I drove in. :sweatsm:

So, how was the drive? After all the comments, etc. What does your own experience tell you? :)

When I was in Singpapore, I drove in all the time - to have nice (and cheap) dinners, to pump petrol, do shopping, cheong Roman Spa :cool: , visit Grandma at Mersing etc... and I never had a problem with theft or vandalism.. Maybe my car not worth the effort, just a humble Nissan Presea :)

But still better be safe than sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.