going to japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AqUaRiU5

Feb 9, 2002
Square Box
organico.frozened.com
hi there

i be going to japan frm the 18-26th this month and i was wondering what sort of power plugs do i need to have in order to charge things like my camera, ipod, hp etc. do they use the 2 pin round head power plugs, 3 pins? or the 2 pin flat head?

hope ya guys can help me out
thanks ;)

In Japan they use 2 pin flat heads, 110V

oo

eh then in that case what should i do in order to be able to charge my stuff over there? cause my ixus 430 does come with a few wires with different power heads.
what bout things like my hp and ipod? any where i can find solutions?

sorry i feel rather stupid asking this but it has to be done ;p

For the Ixus, the power adaptor is mulitvoltage one, so all you need is to buy the plug adaptor, can get from Sim Lim or any other hardware store, typically a few dollars for the cheap type.

For handphones, unless you have got a 3G one or auto-roaming set from your telco, you can't use it there, cos they don't use GSM networks there. Even if they have (Vodafone), it's going to cost quite a lot to auto-roam there.

Not sure about the adaptor for ipod though... most likely it will need the plug convertor too.

Take a look at your chargers and adaptors. If they are not rated for 100/110V use, then you need a step-up converter. If not, you can see fireworks liao.

For your HP, get advice from your telco. Rentals are avaliable.

Plug heads in JP are 2 flat pin type. Same as ROC.

2 pin flat head. check your adapters to see if they are multivoltage, if they dont support 110-120. then you can forget about bringing them over.

which part of japan are you coming to?

TMC: i be heading to tokyo. ya stay in that area?

Prismatic: hahah i havent thought about the hp autoroaming rates over there. mm i guess if i were to set to autoroam with my service provider it will cost quite alot. so i guess i will be leaving my cell phone back at home

regarding the ipod issue, i heard they sell the ipod adaptor kit at the apple store. but most of them are kinda useless to me as it comes with a few power adaptors that can be used in different countries and i find it abit useless as i dont travel often and i will be heading to ns soon. so anyone has got any other solutions? heh

thanks alot guys!!

Mobile coverage is generally excellent but like mention earlier you gotta rent handsets from your telco as they are on the CDMA network. Tried using my 3G handset which received a Vondafone signal but could not get through when I tried calling or messaging.

Also when you are there please kindly observe some handphone etiquette like not talking on the phone while you are on the trains and subways.

Just came back on Sunday from Japan (Tokyo, Niigata, Nagoya, Kyoto). If you intend to cover a few places, would advise to get the JR Rail Pass. Can save quite a bit if you travel by train and Shinkansen a lot.

calisc said:
Mobile coverage is generally excellent but like mention earlier you gotta rent handsets from your telco as they are on the CDMA network. Tried using my 3G handset which received a Vondafone signal but could not get through when I tried calling or messaging.

Also when you are there please kindly observe some handphone etiquette like not talking on the phone while you are on the trains and subways.

To be able to roam on the vodafone network, you have to have a subscription with them. My Japanese friend told me I could apply for it at the airport, but I didn't see any vodafone booth there, the last time I was there.

And yes, avoid talking on the phone on the train. And remember to stand on the right while on the escalators and travellators. And oh, put both your hands up when you are taking the train during peak hours and there's a sudden squeeze during the trip (train turning, stopping etc etc). ;)

Prismatic said:
And oh, put both your hands up when you are taking the train during peak hours and there's a sudden squeeze during the trip (train turning, stopping etc etc). ;)

just curious, why put both hands up?

Will be in Kyoto for a week in July...Hmm, all my AC adaptors for my cam batt, cell phones and laptop should be compatible with 110V.

As for the network part, wondering if starhub with autoroam will work there...

Pokka said:
just curious, why put both hands up?

Hahaha...lest someone accuse you of groping them lah. It's still quite a common thing on Japanese trains, although now they have female-only carriages on some trains.

canturn said:
Will be in Kyoto for a week in July...Hmm, all my AC adaptors for my cam batt, cell phones and laptop should be compatible with 110V.

As for the network part, wondering if starhub with autoroam will work there...

The phones in Singapore (and most of the world) use GSM system. The phones in Japan use CDMA system. The systems are not compatible.

If you need a phone in Japan, there are a few options:

1. Rent a handset from your provider in Singapore (eg Starhub). They will arrange for the charges to be billed to your Starhub account.

2. Rent a handphone from one of the rental providers in Japan (do a search).

3. Get a friend in Japan to lend you an old handset and get a prepaid card for you (this is what I did).

4. Buy a cheap secondhand handphone when you're there and get the prepaid card.

Status
Not open for further replies.