Going to Japan (osaka)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone travelling to Japan this month or next week?

Osaka is nice... some places to recommend is Osaka castle, the aquarium and Umeda Sky Building just to name a few. I was there for 2 weeks working and only got a chance to take pictures on weekends. Can take a train to Kobe and Kyoto if you have more time.

Enjoy!

yeah i know about that, but i've already bought the tickets and booked the hotels since early this year. consolation is that i'll only be staying for 2 nights and im going to Kyoto next but the current situation in Osaka is making me a little nervous.

Osaka is nice... some places to recommend is Osaka castle, the aquarium and Umeda Sky Building just to name a few. I was there for 2 weeks working and only got a chance to take pictures on weekends. Can take a train to Kobe and Kyoto if you have more time.

Enjoy!

Thanks, can't wait to soak in the sights.

I'm going in two weeks time (5th June).. Feeling a lil nervous from all the flu and stuff
Hopefully the situation will get better by then..

If you've time should also check out Nara in a day-trip. Many temples and very scenic.

heh just came back from Kansai area, went Osaka Aquarium and shrine visiting in kyoto Din't c any geisha though went to the Gion area.
Jap Rail and bus is super confusing.
ability to recog a few chinese words is helpful though!

Was in Kyushu, Japan for 10 days 6 wks back and enjoyed the full bloom hanami (cherry blossom viewing).
Need not worry too much about the flu. Bring some masks along and wear them in crowded places such as in the train and bus. The Japs wear them whenever they've a cold (a well established culture behaviour) and you'll not feel odd...
Depending on your travel plans, a JR pass or a cheaper local rail pass like Kansai pass may be useful. Transport in Japan is expensive and you've to think seriously what you want and where you want to go. The JR pass voucher can only be bought outside Japan; the other passes can buy while in japan.

Beside those already mentioned. Himeji castle, Hiroshima Atom Bomb site and Miyajima (the famous red tori found in all jap travel brochures is found here) are worthful places to visit

Try these links:
www.jnto.go.jp
www.jorudan.co.jp
www.japan-guide.com

Do some homework, have a plan, and you'll have an enjoyable stay. Japan is fun to visit.

How many days are you going?

You can consider purchasing the JR Pass (JR EAST/CENTRAL), it really worth it. Basically, it's a pass which allows unlimited travel on JR Line (except Nozomi - a faster type of shinkansen; you can still take Shinkansen though, but slower the type).

I've been to Osaka, in my opinion, nothing really special. I will recommend you to go to the Hiroshima where there's the Tori Gate, Atomic Bomb site. Hiroshima is about 90mins away from Osaka on the Sanyo Shinkansen.

Sanyo-Shinkansen.png

-from wikipedia

I will recommend you to stay at Kyoto instead of Osaka. You can venture out to Hiroshima as many have already suggested or to the Central Alps region such as Nagano, Gero (onsen), Matsumoto or Takayama. Lots of nice landscape, onsen and trekking.

If you are going to these places suggest you get a JR rail pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.