Going to Japan next March/April


Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
1,242
0
36
41
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
#1
I will be going to Japan next March/April.

Will it still be snowing then? How can I get an estimation of when the cherry trees will start to bloom? I plan to stay only 7 days, so that's a very narrow window period.
 

Big Kahuna

Senior Member
Dec 15, 2004
2,126
1
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#3
Slim chance for snow in March and April......their peak is in Jan and Feb.....I was there this mid april and managed to catch the end of Sakura season :thumbsup:

To monitor the cherry blossom.....just watch out for those Japanese news website...they actually track the cherry blossom by hour :lovegrin:

Some of my photos if you are interested :lovegrin:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=127546
 

Mar 23, 2002
393
0
16
3rd Mile Stone
Visit site
#4
Typically, the Cherry Blossoms appear around end March through first half of April as a sign of Spring season. Since they are spread out through the length of Japan, the blooms should start from the South and progressively spread through the Northern parts of Japan. The blossoms on the tree last only 1 week. You can expect hugh crowds of Japanese themselves visiting the parks to enjoy the scene. Anyhow, you may want to monitor what sort of winter Japan will face this year, which will give you an idea how early or late spring will be.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#5
Sausage said:
I will be going to Japan next March/April.

Will it still be snowing then? How can I get an estimation of when the cherry trees will start to bloom? I plan to stay only 7 days, so that's a very narrow window period.
Hey dude, HWZ u ask, here oso ask?

Ok u want snow?

December, January sure snow. But if u want to goto a place confirm chop got snow, go Hokkaido during December and January. Sure snow until u scared. :D

Time for Sakura is usually end-March to April. Dis one snow is super rare liao. As for the timing, refer to the sticky thread in HWZ forums I'd put up. It includes a link for the general time of Sakura bloom. Dun waste my effort.
 

Apr 20, 2005
346
0
16
41
#6
Places like Tokyo, Osaka don't snow even in winter..April period is already spring & is the best time to go for sakura.

Earily & end of yr is winter.. go hokkaido for snow festival (Around Jan/Feb Period)..
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#7
damian77 said:
Places like Tokyo, Osaka don't snow even in winter..April period is already spring & is the best time to go for sakura.

Earily & end of yr is winter.. go hokkaido for snow festival (Around Jan/Feb Period)..
Hmm.... I kena heavy snowfall in December when I was in Kyoto...

Freak weather? :eek:
 

Apr 20, 2005
346
0
16
41
#9
jsbn said:
Hmm.... I kena heavy snowfall in December when I was in Kyoto...

Freak weather? :eek:
hmm...Tokyo usually don't snow from what I know... I maybe wrong? Not too sure abt Kyoto.. Or it maybe just some places don't snow through out the whole of winter... :think: I went earily in the yr (think it was Jan)Tokyo was like 2-5 deg C, never snow. Like what you said Hokkaido snow until I scared...

Oh well, Japan is a nice place to visit.. hope to go again..
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#10
Hmm... Freak weather each time I go...

First time I went Japan in December. Kyoto snowed.
Second time I went Japan in January. The places I went were perfect bright and sunny. In Hokkaido, Shinkansen services had to be stopped and houses were covered in snow.

I wonder what will be more freaky when I go to Hokkaido next January. :D
 

Apr 20, 2005
346
0
16
41
#11
jsbn said:
Hmm... Freak weather each time I go...

First time I went Japan in December. Kyoto snowed.
Second time I went Japan in January. The places I went were perfect bright and sunny. In Hokkaido, Shinkansen services had to be stopped and houses were covered in snow.

I wonder what will be more freaky when I go to Hokkaido next January. :D
Talk abt freak weather...Del_CtrlnoAlt just mentioned sakura during winter:confused: ....When will Singapore ever snow:bsmilie:

Anyway think there is a now a direct flight to hokkaido right? Think I heard it not so long ago..
 

AngelZhou

New Member
Jul 12, 2005
1,415
0
0
30
HoUgaNg (Any stalker? lol)
#12
April is the best for cherry blossom. Kyoto is one of the best spot cuz a lot of old temple there... But beware of crazy crowd who want to take picture too.
 

Sausage

Senior Member
Feb 1, 2002
1,242
0
36
41
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
#13
I'll be going for 7 days and don't wish to rush things, so do you all recommend staying in Tokyo for the entire 7 days? Are there enough sights to see, or should I go to a neighboring area too?
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#14
AngelZhou said:
April is the best for cherry blossom. Kyoto is one of the best spot cuz a lot of old temple there... But beware of crazy crowd who want to take picture too.
There's a nice quiet, loooong stretch called the Path of Philosophy beside the Silver Pavilion. During Spring, there are plenty of Sakuras over there. And of cos, wear comfortable shoes if u are EVER going to walk along dat path. Cos the entire path took me over 45mins before I completed it.

I swore I could have walked faster if not for my bad knees. :(

Sausage, if its ur first visit, 1 suggested itinerary:
- Spend 4 days in the following areas:
Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Asakusa, Akiharaba (this is like ur Sim Lim Square), Ikebukuro (ur anime dream come true. 7 friggin' storeys of it).
- Spend 2 days at Hakone, Fuji 5 lakes is ur best bet of seeing Mt Fuji (if it doesn't get foggy)
- 1 more day? Maybe do something crazy, like shopping.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#15
damian77 said:
Talk abt freak weather...Del_CtrlnoAlt just mentioned sakura during winter:confused: ....When will Singapore ever snow:bsmilie:

Anyway think there is a now a direct flight to hokkaido right? Think I heard it not so long ago..
Ahh... Sakura during winter.... I definitely wun be seeing it in Morioka (the Rock Splitting Sakura Tree) during my next trip since its in January. Unless there's the El Nino thing again. :D
 

Apr 20, 2005
346
0
16
41
#16
jsbn said:
There's a nice quiet, loooong stretch called the Path of Philosophy beside the Silver Pavilion. During Spring, there are plenty of Sakuras over there.
Went Japan twice but twice not during the sakura peroid so never brother to find out... Where is this path of philosophy??
 

Big Kahuna

Senior Member
Dec 15, 2004
2,126
1
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#18
Sausage said:
I'll be going for 7 days and don't wish to rush things, so do you all recommend staying in Tokyo for the entire 7 days? Are there enough sights to see, or should I go to a neighboring area too?
Definately more than enought sight to see....actually 7 days is a bit too short to cover even the island of Honshu...my suggestion is to focus on 1 or two city for the entire trip...Osaka and Kobe will be nice :lovegrin:
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#19
7 days in tokyo is too long and boring. you should move out of tokyo. 7 days is long enough to travel out via speed train(shinkansen) or other means. there are ways to travel on them at tourists' rate. like a season ticket. visit creative travel is, i believe, at hong leong bldg. JAL has a office there too. i believe there are related. you can only purchase such season ticket outside of japan. there are not sold in japan.


Big Kahuna said:
Definately more than enought sight to see....actually 7 days is a bit too short to cover even the island of Honshu...my suggestion is to focus on 1 or two city for the entire trip...Osaka and Kobe will be nice :lovegrin:
 

user12343

Senior Member
May 15, 2005
1,032
2
38
#20
wah, like all pple saod, i oso sibeh gianz my next trip in jepoon.... :think: maybe can arrange another trip go there, if i get paid golden peanuts??? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom