Going to Japan end of this month, suggestions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellamy

Feb 15, 2006
Hello all bros and sis out there! I'm going to Japan end of year till beginning of Dec. Could you please kindly advice me on the areas that i must not miss when I'm there? I'll be going to Tokyo, although I would love to explore Sapporo and Hokkaido too. So, during my 5 day trip there, I would love to spend the time snapping pictures but the last time i went there was 8 years ago and I was too little to remember anything except Disneyland! ;p

Thanks in advance! :)

5 days is not enough time to head all the way to Hokkaido and visit. You are on a holiday so take it easy. Go to the nearby places to see Fuji and explore Tokyo.

Hello all bros and sis out there! I'm going to Japan end of year till beginning of Dec. Could you please kindly advice me on the areas that i must not miss when I'm there? I'll be going to Tokyo, although I would love to explore Sapporo and Hokkaido too. So, during my 5 day trip there, I would love to spend the time snapping pictures but the last time i went there was 8 years ago and I was too little to remember anything except Disneyland! ;p

Thanks in advance! :)
5 day trip.

Suggest you concentrate on Tokyo and Mt Fuji areas and forget about Sapporo and Hokkaido. Even if its a 3hr flight or 12hr train ride, u're cutting it really close if you wanna head way North.

Nothing much in Tokyo, I'd rather visit Hokkaido/Sapporo instead.

Pardon me for my bad sentence contruction :p

i meant that i would be heading to Tokyo, although i prefer to go Hokkaido or Sapporo. my sister is going there on a business trip and im just tagging along..

Stick to tokyo. The time and money for you to head to Hokkaido is not worth it for such a short time.

For Tokyo. Must go places

1) Tsukiji Fish market, go there at 4 to 5am, the whole market shuts down by 9am. Its an experience honestly. After that you can go have fresh sashimi and sushi at the many restaurants at the market. Note however that it is closed on certain wednesdays. Just go to any restaurant in the city that has fish on their menu and ask them to check for you. The owner would have a Tsukiji schedule book

2) Shinjuku and Kabukicho area
Go at night to the Kabukicho area, its the red light district of Tokyo, but dont worry, no girls in the streets kind of thing. Its more to see the sights which include men dressed in suits and looking like J Pop idols on the streets trying to hustle girls to "Girl Bars" (Their version of nightclubs for girls) and just taking in the sights.

3) Shibuya area
Go and suck in the atmosphere and of course look at the famous Shibuya crossing. Lots of interesting shops here to see

4) Harajuku, Omentosado Hill
The fashion crazy locale of Tokyo, from high end LV to lower end far east square type of clothes. Main attraction is the students all dressed up and looking like they walked out of a magazine. Also if cosplayers are a plently here

5) Asakusa Temple
Lots of things to buy as there is a big market in front of the temple and good tempura restaurants around.

6) Roppongi Hills
There are a few art galleries here which are interesting and its the party scene of Tokyo

7) Aoyama
Lots if boutique fashion shops. A more upmarket version of our club street and much bigger too. The iconic Prada building is located here.

8) Akihabara
The sim lim of Tokyo only difference is that it is the size of orchard road. Lots of gadgets and also if you are into toys... u will go mad... all sorts of toys abound.

The above 8 are just some of the places to go.. honestly there are tons of places more to explore. Odaiba, Ginza, and some other areas not on the tourist map. But then for 5days. This should be enough for you. Note that on your last day, unless you have a night flight, u will most likely have to leave for the airport at 10 to 11am. 1 hour to get there, 2 hours for check in and other stuff and then spend rest of time at the airport shops. So dont plan anything major on the last day. Also dont go past boarding until u are almost going to board the plane. At Narita, unlike Singapore airport, the shops are outside the boarding gates not inside, so once you pass boarding gate,s its a dead town inside....

Hope it helps!

wow thank you very very much aeskywan for yr comprehensive guide! i will take it down and try my best to visit all, if not most of the places u mentioned! :)

Take a day trip to Hakone if you have the time. It's great! :)

I'm going Japan on Christmas eve. But just spending 2 days (xmas eve and xmas day) in Tokyo, and spending another 5 days in Nagano and Toyama areas.

If this is your first time, I suggest spending some more time in Tokyo area and Mount Fuji area. Hokkaido is way too far for your 5 day trip. You need to take an internal flight, and mind you, it's a HUGE area.

Another area not too far from Tokyo you can try is an old town called Takayama. Famous for ramen, good tea, and sake. And oh yes, the Hida beef.

BTW, to the rest who have been to Japan around X'mas time, how heavy is the snowing usually?

I'm going Japan on Christmas eve. But just spending 2 days (xmas eve and xmas day) in Tokyo, and spending another 5 days in Nagano and Toyama areas.

If this is your first time, I suggest spending some more time in Tokyo area and Mount Fuji area. Hokkaido is way too far for your 5 day trip. You need to take an internal flight, and mind you, it's a HUGE area.

Another area not too far from Tokyo you can try is an old town called Takayama. Famous for ramen, good tea, and sake. And oh yes, the Hida beef.

BTW, to the rest who have been to Japan around X'mas time, how heavy is the snowing usually?
Tokyo probably still ok.

Nagano, Toyama might expect a little heavier snowfall. Grey skies.

5 days is not enough time to head all the way to Hokkaido and visit. You are on a holiday so take it easy. Go to the nearby places to see Fuji and explore Tokyo.

I agreed holiday should always take it easy.

there are people who try to see as much, for me, I sleep until 10am when I go tour and see very little things, casually strolling ... for I think enjoyment and relaxation more important than compacting the iternary. :cool:

Oh btw if you want to get any beautifully ready-packed japanese snacks back to Singapore, you can get all of them at the airport. The price are very much the same as anywhere out there in the cities. And not to mention that they have pretty near expiry dates because they don't use preservatives; So it's a good choice to get them on the last day.

Yes forgot to say try to make as much luggage space as you can if u intend to buy stuff. Dont need to bring too much clothes. Jeans can wear one pair for 5 days. Tops can just wash in hotel sink and air dry. the air is so dry there, it will dry within one night. And also u wont perspire cos its winter now. Just make sure u bring one really good winter jacket. And also wear thermal under your jeans. Reasoning is the wind will blow against your legs and go through the tiny holes in the fabric. Result is cold burns, yes burns from the cold wind.

If you need another pair of jeans. go to Uniqlo, its found at most places. Japanese version of Giodiarno but much superior in look and quality. Prices not ex, one jeans cost normally below 50 bucks.

Yes forgot to say try to make as much luggage space as you can if u intend to buy stuff. Dont need to bring too much clothes. Jeans can wear one pair for 5 days. Tops can just wash in hotel sink and air dry. the air is so dry there, it will dry within one night. And also u wont perspire cos its winter now. Just make sure u bring one really good winter jacket. And also wear thermal under your jeans. Reasoning is the wind will blow against your legs and go through the tiny holes in the fabric. Result is cold burns, yes burns from the cold wind.

If you need another pair of jeans. go to Uniqlo, its found at most places. Japanese version of Giodiarno but much superior in look and quality. Prices not ex, one jeans cost normally below 50 bucks.

Thanks! I was hesitating to buy a larger luggage at first. But like you said, it's probably a better idea, beats lugging around several different bags (in addition to my super duper heavy Lowepro backpack!)

Thanks! I was hesitating to buy a larger luggage at first. But like you said, it's probably a better idea, beats lugging around several different bags (in addition to my super duper heavy Lowepro backpack!)
My thoughts on your luggage?

1) Maybe you'd wanna neck sling your cam. 1 cam, 1 lens attached, 1 tripod, 1 more lens in your lowepro. Full stop.
2) Empty luggage, except for toiletries OR.... 100% empty luggage, NO TOILETRIES
3) Buy all your clothes there, except your underwear
4) I usually just wear a long jacket in December. The most 1 pullover on the inside with a polo-T. That's about it.

Talking about Uniqlo...

http://www.uniqlo.com/jp/

yeah i second the uniqlo stuff. It's cheaper than muji, and muji in japan is already like giordano here.

Also in aoyama is the blue note club, for jazz acts. And don't forget to try out the kabuki theatre in ginza.

Try not to lug a few bags. It will kill u. The lesser the bags the better. Find out which hotel u are staying in, most hotels in the city has buses from airports to their locale. However take note, the buses might go direct to only some hotels. Some other hotels might only have the bus drive u to the general area and you have to find your way to it. Example, drop u off at City hall mrt and you have to find your own way with luggage to marina mandarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.