Going to HK for trip. Need Advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossChang

May 2, 2004
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
Hi everyone,
I'll be heading down to HK for a 4 days trip from 31st Dec to 3 jan. Any suggestion on where to go, what to visit n stuff? which is the best part of HK to take cityscape shots?:D:D and around where I can find most camera shops clustered? :p:p

Will be staying around Nathan Rd area...

Thanks...:D

Hi Ross, personally I haven't been to HK b4, but I have compiled a list of camera shops in HK just in case i have a opportunity to go there one day. The list is courtesy of one of our fellow CSer, here it is:

-Kowloon Photo (in Yau Ma Tei)

-Wing-Shing (in Mong Kok)
66 Sai Yeung Choi ST., Mongkok, Kowloon
Tel: 2396 6881, 2369 6961
Business Time: 10am - 8pm
Take the MTR to Mong Kok Station and exit via EXIT D-3. From there it is easy to get to both MAN-SHING and WING SHING.

-Man Shing (in Mong Kok)
106, Tung Choi Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong Tel:
2396 2996, 2395 6684 Fax: (852) 2395 2127

1) Cheer Power Camera & Audio
Hung Kei Mansion, Queen Victoria Street, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 2877 1511, 5369 8822
Business time : 10am - 7pm

2) Kwong Tai Photo Supplies Co. Ltd.
30A Stanley St., Central, Hong Kong; tel: 2522 8648
Business time : 10am - 7pm (close on Sunday)

3) Photo Scientific Appliances Ltd
6 Stanley Street, Central, Hong Kong; tel: 2522 9979
Business Time: 0900-1900 (Closed on Sunday)

4) Stanley Photo Supplies
Stanley Street, Central, Hong Kong; tel: 2525 2290

5) Mirama Camera & Hi Fi Co. Ltd
25 Stanley Street, Central, Hong Kong
tel: 2525 0501
Business time : 10am - 7pm

6) Salon Camera & Radio Co.
Groundfloor, 3 Lchang Street, Tsim Sha Tsuim Kowloon
Tel: 2376 0906
Business time : 10am - 8pm (Closed on Sunday)

7) All Best Camera & Watch Co.
Ground floor, Shop 4 Champangne Court, 16 Kimberley Road, Kowloon; tel: 2739 1826

8) For used equipment, go to Tin Cheung Camera Co. in the shopping arcade of Tung Yin Building, 100 Granville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon; tel: 2368 7518 (Tung Yin Building is adjacent to Champagne Court) .
Good service, need to bargain price. The most well stocked shop for new/used Leica. Well-stock in 135, 120, 4x5 cameras and lenses. They also carry brands like Gitzo , Manfrotto, Domke, Tenba, Lowepro. This shop offers very good customer service.

9) Kowloon Photo Service
Groundfloor, 5, Woosung Street, Yaumati, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Tel: 2384 9302
Good selection of Photo gear. Prices are at least 5-10% less than the best prices of the shops in Central. Personnel are typically polite. Carry Lowe Pro Bags, Darkroom stuff as well as Nikon scanners. Take the MTR to JORDAN station exit from Jordan Station and walk up NATHAN ROAD ( away from Victoria Harbour). Kowloon Photo is off Nathan Road to the left near the Jade Market.
Business time : 11am - 9pm

10) Foto Photo Supplies Co.
G20 Hung Hom Sq., 37-39 Ma Tau Wei Rd., Hung Hom Kowloon
Tel : 2363 0179
Business time : 11.30am - 8pm
http://www.glink.net.hk/~npc/foto/index.html

11) Matsuya Camera & Video Centre
Shop 15, Tsim ShaTsui Mansion, 83-97 Nathan Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Tel : 2724 0893
Business time : 10am - 8pm (Close on Sundays)
http://www.matsuyacamera.com.hk/

12) Zhao Xiang Guan
Shop G36, Tung Ying Building, 100 Nathan Rd., Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Tel : 2722 0068, 2722 0161
Business time : 11am - 8.30pm (Close on Sundays)

Some of those shops above sell 2nd hand items also, hope it helps. Enjoy your trip :)

I frequent Wing Shing at Mongkok. They are similar to our Cathay photo in Singapore. Although their price may not be the cheapest, they are reliable. Try go in the daytime. Evening will be very crowded and you will most likely be ignored in the shop.

RossChang said:
Very usefull stuff, thanks a lot...

hi ross,

u r welcome... btw, i will be goin to hk too next month, maybe u can tell us more abt the good stuffs u hv bought in hk when u back to sg ha ha :bsmilie:

ivan said:
hi ross,

u r welcome... btw, i will be goin to hk too next month, maybe u can tell us more abt the good stuffs u hv bought in hk when u back to sg ha ha :bsmilie:

Sure will... :D

Thanks everyone for the info... the list of shops and addresses are sure usefull... gonna print that out tomorrow... :D

Hi Ross,

Looks like you've already got some good tips. For the cityscape shots - the best place to go is Victoria Harbour on the Kowloon side where you get magnificent views of the city skyline on Hong Kong Island itself. Evening is best - so you can see all the lights and right now they should have all the Christmas and New Year lights.

For the camera shops - go to the ones in Mong Kok and Hong Kong Island, you can pretty much stay away from the ones along Nathan Rd in Tsim Sha Tsui as they're tourist traps.

Hope you have a great trip.

RossChang said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be heading down to HK for a 4 days trip from 31st Dec to 3 jan. Any suggestion on where to go, what to visit n stuff? which is the best part of HK to take cityscape shots?:D:D and around where I can find most camera shops clustered? :p:p

Will be staying around Nathan Rd area...

Thanks...:D

yea... but sad thing iz, lens aren't tat much cheaper... oh well... oh yea oh yea, can smell my Gitzo coming... gf approved purchase... kekekekeke ;p

espn said:
GF dun approve also must buy!!

hmm... if Income level takes a leap up jump... tat should not be a problem...

or... strike toto?... tat's another possibility...

Dammit ESPN, dun intoxicate ppl like tat... :blah:

You worked so hard, earned so much, now it's time to BUY BUY BUY!!! It's the only way to go :devil:

for those who are interested, i've compiled a list of some of the nice places to eat n shop.. leave yr e-mail here if u want the list...

p.s: don't miss out on the wanton mee!! it's fantastic! :)

Just came back from HK yesterday. I've to admit, the food there is DAMN good. Wanton Noodles is just a fraction of it.

I stay near Mong Kok MTR, and any food store is just great. Wanton Mee, Mix Beef Mee, Chey Zai Mee, Teng Zai Porridge ( with You Tui ), Dim Sum... practically anything... and yea, dun miss out the road side fishball stall... damn good, get the spicy ones...

Shopping is another good part of it... basically anything is around 20% cheaper than SG (food also cheaper).

Camera stuff, around Mong Kok MTR got two very well stock stops... they are Wing Sheng and Man Sheng lor, but they are not the cheapest around and they dun bargain with you... bloody hell... got my Gitzo at Man Sheng at a slightly higher price (still much cheaper than SG), and the second day when I Accidentally stumble into Tin Cheung ( in Tung Ying Building Grd Floor, 100 Nathan Rd, Exit B1 from Tsim Sha Tsui MTR ) and found out they are selling for HKD$350 cheaper... ouch... ;( if you are ever going to HK, Highly recommend Tin Cheung.

Subsequently I got some accessories from Tin Cheung, dun have to bother abt bargaining cos the price is already cheap compare to sg, but they gave me some good price when I asked for a reduction...

Tin Cheong have lotsa Leica stuff, and is quite well stock with other canon/nikon stuff as well, lotsa gitzo/manfrotto stuff, bags, some selection of camera straps (get the Domke ones, quite good)... yea, just go there lar, you'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.