Going to Hainan Island on Christmas...

sonikbyte

Feb 11, 2010
Singapore
500px.com
Anyone been there during this period? Will all the shops be close for biz? I havent been there before. Would love some tips on places for photography and food. I would most likely be bringing 18-135 kit lens there.

Just to check are U a Hainan cause most folks there speak Hainan (young gen can speak Chinese).

Hi if are U going to Hainan, the shops there will not be closed but as a reminder most of the shops are selling winter wear now and not much stuff for summer ( I went last year Nov). To be frank with you Hainan Island is a tropical island and most north people like to go there for summer vacation. Places to visit will be Bo Ao, Qionghai and Sanya (is hot even in winter cause is at the end of Hainan Island). If U stay there do look out for good hotels. U can check hotels at http://english.ctrip.com/. Have a pleasant trip. I will be heading there end of this month.

Thanx for the info but I'm not hainan but I guess communication will be okay? Hmmm if shopping is out. Wonder how much rmb shld be enough for both.

Just to check are U a Hainan cause most folks there speak Hainan (young gen can speak Chinese).

Hi if are U going to Hainan, the shops there will not be closed but as a reminder most of the shops are selling winter wear now and not much stuff for summer ( I went last year Nov). To be frank with you Hainan Island is a tropical island and most north people like to go there for summer vacation. Places to visit will be Bo Ao, Qionghai and Sanya (is hot even in winter cause is at the end of Hainan Island). If U stay there do look out for good hotels. U can check hotels at http://english.ctrip.com/. Have a pleasant trip. I will be heading there end of this month.

Very strange:think:. It is hot whole year round in Hainan but the shops there are mainly catering to winter wear now.:dunno:

It really depends when U go... as what U quoted "hot" (no offense thou) yes is hot but compare to Singapore is cold cause weather in the north can go as low at -30.

To sonikbyte : Anyway if you were to visit Qionghai U can check out the local hotels there. The locals can understand Chinese of course. They allow U to check out the room before U confirm so make sure U check out the room U are renting before paying deposit cause is non-refundable. The hotel I recommend is "Yang Huang Wan Hao" (in chinese) 琼海阳光万豪酒店 (can google for description). Nearby got quote a fair bit of eateries and mostly like one of the best hotels in town. As for the RMB usually I bring around RMB2-3K for a week (imagine a plate of fried noodles cost only RMB5/- which is S$1.00). Most of the shops accept cash only so fro credit card shops is not recommended.

Last edited: