Going to get the Sigma 17-70mm, anyone wants to stop me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
Quoted 599 w/GST from MSColor. From the review I read here, it seems like an impressive lens for its price range. Anybody experienced with this lens?

i would rather get the tamron 28-75 and live with my kit lens. or a budget WA like the tokina 19-35 which is dubbed as the 'plastic fantastic' for good reason

Was looking at the Sigma 17-70mm today. Was very tempted, but found it very hard to convince myself to replace my faithful and very sharp Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8......:nono:

Anyway, I'm still using my 'kit' 18-55mm for my WA, which I seldom shoot at.:think:

If extra $$$ comes along, might just get the Canon 17-40 f/4L...:sweat:

This lens can do good macro shots, has good walkaround range, and seems like most people (FM DPR forums) with it are pretty happy. Maybe I'll go take a look on Wednesday.

Bump again. Stock in MSColor coming sometime this week. Anybody got it with the Nikon mount?

I'm back, now with the lens! The construction of the lens is very good and sturdy, unlike the Canon 17-85mm. The photos are in my opinion sharper than my previous Canon 17-85mm! The macro capability of the lens is something to be proud of along with the quality of the glass. Judge for yourself. All the photos have not been USMed or photoshopped, just resized, and the 2nd photo is a 100% crop of the first photo.

test1.jpg

70mm, close range
test1(crop).jpg

100% crop
test2.jpg

70mm far
test3.jpg

17mm wide f4.5

Conclusion? I'm very happy with this lens. It's plenty sharp, versatile range, bright and well built for a 600 dollar lens. As usual, please do not compare this lens to your 1200 dollar lens.

wow it looks sharp man..worth it! I am waiting for tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

This lens is seriously one impressive piece. It's so much sharper than the Canon 17-85mm! Have taken a lot of photos with it, and it's tact sharp throughout the whole range. Definitely recommended.

Vulpix0r said:
This lens is seriously one impressive piece. It's so much sharper than the Canon 17-85mm! Have taken a lot of photos with it, and it's tact sharp throughout the whole range. Definitely recommended.
wat about the focusing speed and the focusing noise?

Looking forward to see how the Sigma compares with the yet to be released Tokina 16-50mm F/2.8 lens (Sept 06?).

Always liked the Tokina built, especially the ATX Pro range, hopefully Tokina priced it about the same as Sigma, by then Sigma may drop their price since it has direct competition in this range, all of these compete directly to the higher priced Nikkor 17-55mm and Canon equivalent L?

../azul123

azul123 said:
Looking forward to see how the Sigma compares with the yet to be released Tokina 16-50mm F/2.8 lens (Sept 06?).

Always liked the Tokina built, especially the ATX Pro range, hopefully Tokina priced it about the same as Sigma, by then Sigma may drop their price since it has direct competition in this range, all of these compete directly to the higher priced Nikkor 17-55mm and Canon equivalent L?

../azul123

hmmm... wonder if its slated for the photokina 2006 release too. the nice thing abt the pro range for tokina is dat they all share the 77mm filter size. so, all those cir-pol can be shared. :)

me? i'm quite interested to see the tamron 17-50/2.8 too.

nightwolf75 said:
me? i'm quite interested to see the tamron 17-50/2.8 too.
Ah... more to compare means better for users, no? :thumbsup:

Pricing is key for the lens maker.

../azul123

donkuok said:
wat about the focusing speed and the focusing noise?
Quite noisy and slow, this is not the HSM version. But for photographer, noise is not a problem as long as it is reliable, photo quality is more important.

Just bought one piece at $598 nett last friday.

poh6702 said:
Quite noisy and slow, this is not the HSM version. But for photographer, noise is not a problem as long as it is reliable, photo quality is more important.

Just bought one piece at $598 nett last friday.
Is the lens comparable with tamron 28-75mm or tamron 17-35mm?

Like nightwolf, I'm waiting for the Tamron 17-50mm which should be out in May. Constant aperture is the attractive factor for me. ;)

I was hoping for the Tokina 16-50mm, but must wait too long - Q4.

Status
Not open for further replies.