Going to cold temperate countries for holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

franciskc

Jan 17, 2002
Earth
need some suggestions from u photog fans.
1)shud i take the vacation as a holiday simple shoot or
2)go for photo shooting tour around

option 1
will not bring tripod just a dslr +28-105mm lens

option2
will bring tripod + Dslr+ etc etc more bulky.

somemore my tripod doesnt have those thermal handles. afraid will kana frost bites.

juz need some 2cts:light:

do u wanna go enjoy the holiday as it is or go ard shooting...??

alone or with friends? if u go with friends or any companions....n assuming they dun shoot, it be a bummer if u go with intention of shooting extensively

if u have to bring a tripod, get hold of a less bulky tripod den what u are thinking of? this is also assuming if ur current tripod is not the best configuration for tis trip.

for leg warmers, i think u can make them urself?

my 2 cts.

think i just bring a Monopod and a 28-105 lens.

but a monopod cannot really replace a tripod... duh.....:angry:

Go with a couple of frens... yar they dun shoot as extensively. so kinda odd.;p

Actually to bring tripod or not, probably depends on what type of shots you would be taking.

For example, during my photography trip with 3 other friends to Canada, we only set up tripods for the night shots e.g. of Niagara Falls, nice buildings or indoor shots of cathedrals. Else, most of the time, we don't spend time "deploying" the tripods.

Fizzy: You got a point on deploying tripod. Night shoot will be freezing cold for me... so most likely wont be shooting at nite. at most shoot indoor or from the hotel at nite.:wink:

Abt the frost bite thingy...actually...don't think it'll be a major prob...I went shooting in the winter periods up in the highlands of scotland where the temp was hovering at ard -5 degrees...the tripod's surface will be cold...but not to the extend of frostbite....heh...prob will if just hold and not let go...but most of the time after the legs are setup...I'll only adjust the plastic handles and knobs....

Jus sharing my personal exp tats all...

Yep, agree with kelster.

Btw, where would you be going to? How cold would it be?

i am interested to know where you are going. if you really need to wear gloves then it will be a hassle. when i took away my gloves in winter france, my hand starts to crack and bleed. just sharing my experience.

wil be going to Milford sound this winter. Neber been there dunnoe wat its like:devil:

Originally posted by franciskc
wil be going to Milford sound this winter. Neber been there dunnoe wat its like:devil:

Milford Sound in New Zealand? Not been there during Winter before, only during Sep-Oct, and in April.

Milford Sound is much more beautiful in the mist / during rain.

On a clear day, you would not have that kind of good feeling.

So Winter time will give ya the kinda moody feelings? (July-Aug)

well....speaking from current experience....taking pictures during winter is really painful....if you wear gloves while taking pictures....you will lose the feel of the shutter....if you dont wear gloves....your fingers will feel numb that you will not even know that you have already taken the picture....i was taking pictures during winter last year...around -30 degree celsius wind chill....i didnt even realise that i took 5/6 pictures of the same object...only realised it while i was in a building....
the tripod should be fine....just bring a light tripod around....no point carrying a huge tripod wherever you go....

Hi Francis, I went to Milford Sound a few yars back in later autumn. Well, it's nice and of course breezy on the cruise ship but not unbearably cold. In winter, it should be colder but I should think still bearable. The great thing about NZ is its winter is not extreme. I've recently been to Toronto and I've experienced the harshest winter in almost more than a century I think!!! -20 to -30! Talking about removing gloves in that kind of temp! Yes, I was crazy enuff to do it but I wouldn't recommend! My skin felt dry within minutes, flesh turned red, and next thing I knew I was getting small cuts here and there on my fingers! Painful man.

For above zero, it's really bearable... well, that's me.. I know some feel cold even at 10-15 deg. Comparatively, you should not have major frost bites in NZ unless you're going up high altitudes where the temp is much lower.

As for traveling with friends who are not into photography, well, tht's something for you to consider. They may get impatient even if you take just a few seconds more to press the shutter. Not sure about your friends but for mine, photography was no fun with them! Maybe you should check with them how willing they are to wait for you.

Forget about monopod... it's either you bring a tripod or not at all. Monopods are not here nor there... you might find it an extra load.

Not bringing your 28-135? That's a cool traveling lens.

Ok enjoy your trip!!!

Originally posted by Fizzy
Actually to bring tripod or not, probably depends on what type of shots you would be taking.

For example, during my photography trip with 3 other friends to Canada, we only set up tripods for the night shots e.g. of Niagara Falls, nice buildings or indoor shots of cathedrals. Else, most of the time, we don't spend time "deploying" the tripods.

Ahhh, i know that image you have there.. it's the cathedral in Montreal right? :)

Did they allow you to set up tripod there? I didn't have much time then as I was on a group tour there. I set my D30 to ISO800 and only have a 24mm lens. Wish I had an 800 film with a wider angle lens then... But it's beautiful right?

Bingo. It is the Notre Dame in Montreal. Did you watch the light show? The pic was taken after the light show.

I borrowed my friend's tripod. Think my ISO was ISO 100. Was only able to take 2 pics (each 1 second exposure) before someone came up to me and informed me that tripods were not allowed in the Notre Dame. Guess they were worried that I would print and sell the photos. :D

Har, is there a light show?? what's that?

Yah, that's why I'm a bit surprised you could do that. You're lucky then!!! Yes, seriously I think they are afraid u'd sell it like that. Cos I bought a post-card of the interior view. And also, they don't want any obstruction in the cathedral too if say photography fanatics like us begin to set up all our tripods! In fact, I know many places are spoil sports when it comes to using tripods. You need special permits.

Originally posted by ianphua
Provided no road blocks....

Sorry ah.. must clarify on the above msg. Do watch out for road blocks during winter (well... this info that I know 5 years ago). Was there for four years, and managed to get thru three times to Milford Sound. But was told by others that they kena road blocks, (which is not uncommon in view of heavy snow etc etc).

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful trip to the Land of Long White Clouds.

P/S: If you do pass by Queenstown, on the way to Milford, do go to Winnie Bagoes for their extremely good pizzas. Can customise - ie. two flavours on one piece of pizza. Nice ambience and decor also. They also have branch in Christchurch (which is a new outlet on Lichfield st, if my memory doesnt fail... perpendicular to Colombo st, beside the immigration building).

Originally posted by franciskc
need some suggestions from u photog fans.
1)shud i take the vacation as a holiday simple shoot or
2)go for photo shooting tour around

option 1
will not bring tripod just a dslr +28-105mm lens

option2
will bring tripod + Dslr+ etc etc more bulky.

somemore my tripod doesnt have those thermal handles. afraid will kana frost bites.

juz need some 2cts:light:

whatever u bring, make sure u've more standby battries. it's going to drain veri fast!

Originally posted by ianphua
Sorry ah.. must clarify on the above msg. Do watch out for road blocks during winter (well... this info that I know 5 years ago). Was there for four years, and managed to get thru three times to Milford Sound. But was told by others that they kena road blocks, (which is not uncommon in view of heavy snow etc etc).

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful trip to the Land of Long White Clouds.

P/S: If you do pass by Queenstown, on the way to Milford, do go to Winnie Bagoes for their extremely good pizzas. Can customise - ie. two flavours on one piece of pizza. Nice ambience and decor also. They also have branch in Christchurch (which is a new outlet on Lichfield st, if my memory doesnt fail... perpendicular to Colombo st, beside the immigration building).

Thnz for the tipping on makan places. :thumbsup:
Will be planning to waikato to have a look at the LOTR shire :light:

Status
Not open for further replies.