Going to China what to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkaido88

Dec 29, 2007
Let say you have a choice; a set of prime lens or a zoom lens like 24-105mm what would bring?

China has lots of beautiful scenery, I'm thinking of using few prime lens to shoot the best landscape with minimal distortion/vignet. I think the prime perform the best.

But not sure would it be troublesome change the lens and worst has a higher chances of the dusk go into the camera( I think china has a higher pollution level).

Let say you have a choice; a set of prime lens or a zoom lens like 24-105mm what would bring?

China has lots of beautiful scenery, I'm thinking of using few prime lens to shoot the best landscape with minimal distortion/vignet. I think the prime perform the best.

But not sure would it be troublesome change the lens and worst has a higher chances of the dusk go into the camera( I think china has a higher pollution level).

I am bringing my 10-20 (Sigma) and 50 mm on my D90.

Gross understatement :bsmilie:

distortion will not show up much in landscape photography, seriously
only smaller, nearby objects like people or nearby building may be distored.

i went with 11-16 and 85 prime, i regretted badly, take your 24-105 and a 50mm, 24-105 being your primary and 50 for low light.

I can tell you many reasons will discourage you to change lenses when traveling, the dust, fatigue level, bad weather, not enough time to change, too crowded and plain laziness.

for anything wider, do a panorama stitch or capture the moment with your eyes.

Benosaurous, thanks for your advice otherwise if I take a set of heavy prime lens, then end up shoot nothing.

aryanto, if let say I want to shoot some building architecture in China, the zoom lens 24-105 would not be as precise as the prime? Then shall I tag along the 24mm lens together with 50mm or just ignore it?

Cartman2000, The reason I had this thought because I heard that GuangZhao sky is all time covered by pollutant. As China is a developing countries with lots of heavy industries, I think pollution, dusk, would not be as clean as the develop countries like Europe.

Beijing has sufficient smog to turn your mucus black within a day

Benosaurous, thanks for your advice otherwise if I take a set of heavy prime lens, then end up shoot nothing.

aryanto, if let say I want to shoot some building architecture in China, the zoom lens 24-105 would not be as precise as the prime? Then shall I tag along the 24mm lens together with 50mm or just ignore it?

Cartman2000, The reason I had this thought because I heard that GuangZhao sky is all time covered by pollutant. As China is a developing countries with lots of heavy industries, I think pollution, dusk, would not be as clean as the develop countries like Europe.

smog & pollution depends on where you go. I went to small cities, country side the air is very fresh. Go to provincial capital well of course more car and thus more pollution.

Are you going on a guided tour, free and easy, or photo trip? That'll affect the gear you bring.

If you stay in the urban areas, naturally the smog and pollution will be awful. Think of it as an urban dust dome.

But if you move out towards the rural areas, the sky's clean, nice and blue. Very blue.

I'd be going backpack thus with go to the rural to urban area.

I'd be going backpack thus with go to the rural to urban area.

If travel alone, best to bring only what you needed....

Recently, I just came back from China....traveling more than 5000km train rides was no easy matter. My backpacks weighted more than 20kgs in total...makes it even harder to move about.

Status
Not open for further replies.