Going to buy lenspen tmr (Friday). 3 questions concerning lenspen/blower/fibrecloth.

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
Hi all.

Since I got fingerprints on my lens, I'm going to buy a lenspen tomorrow. Is there a particular brand that my fellow CS'ers recommend?

It's the first time I'm buying this and I don't know anything about it. So, please be lenient with your replies. :)

Last edited:
i think Lenspen IS the brand already :bsmilie:

tip : NEVER apply lens cleaning fluid AND use lenspen at same time to clean off the cleaning fluid.... there is some sort of color run from the lenspen if u do that.... personal (stupid) experience

Last edited:
lenspen is a brand isnt it?

i think Lenspen IS the brand already :bsmilie:

tip : NEVER apply lens cleaning fluid AND use lenspen at same time to clean off the cleaning fluid.... there is some sort of color run from the lenspen if u do that.... personal (stupid) experience

Sorry, I didn't know. Everyone just told me to buy a lenspen in my previous thread about fingerprints. So, what did everyone exactly mean when they told me to buy a lenspen? Am I supposed to just go into a camera shop and say to the salesperson: 'Please, give me a lenspen.'?

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't know. Everyone just told me to buy a lenspen in my previous thread about fingerprints. So, what did everyone exactly mean when they told me to buy a lenspen?

Lenspen IS a brand name.Model n.o is LP-1:)

see the lenspen demo

LENSPEN HOW TO USE

otherwise, its website has a video link to demo too

Thanks for the link, I just watched the demo. Seems easy to use. I'll get one tomorrow then.

Also, should I get a lens hood or a UV filter to protect my lens? What do you all suggest?

Thanks for the link, I just watched the demo. Seems easy to use. I'll get one tomorrow then.

Also, should I get a lens hood or a UV filter to protect my lens? What do you all suggest?
yes.

get a cheap hoya HMC uv filter.

yes.

get a cheap hoya HMC uv filter.

Alright. So for my 18-55mm Canon Kit lens, I should get the 58mm filter, right? Plus, I have a rather stupid question, since I've never used a filter before. After I fit the filter to my lens, can I still put the lens cap on? Or I have to remove the filter after every shoot? Pardon this stupid question, I'm a newbie as you all know.

Last edited:
Alright. So for my 18-55mm Canon Kit lens, I should get the 58mm lens, right? Plus, I have a rather stupid question, since I've never used a filter before. After I fit the filter to my lens, can I still put the lens cap on? Or I have to remove the filter after every shoot? Pardon this stupid question, I'm a newbie as you all know.

Yes,lens cap still can put on:)

Alright. So for my 18-55mm Canon Kit lens, I should get the 58mm lens, right? Plus, I have a rather stupid question, since I've never used a filter before. After I fit the filter to my lens, can I still put the lens cap on? Or I have to remove the filter after every shoot? Pardon this stupid question, I'm a newbie as you all know.

yes, you still can attach the lens cap even after you've installed the filter.

i think it won't sit properly, as in there's a small gap between the filter and the lens cap, but it won't drop either.;)

Yes,lens cap still can put on:)

Alright, thanks.

I've another question concerning the hood:

When I use a hood, is there any way that the hood will appear in a photo? I don't know how, let's say I'm zooming in to the maximum or something like that. Is there ANY POSSIBILITY AT ALL that the hood appears in a photo?

Just put the cover , no need to remove the filter.

Lenspen is a brand, but the term is used so often to describe the item that the salesman will know want you want even if that very brand is not available (just like how Pampers and diapers have been used interchangeably).

Perhaps you might want to get either the hood or the UV filter first before deciding if you really need the other.

I'll risk sounding like a snob of kit lenses, but I feel it can be a disportionate amount of money to spend for the 18-55mm IS if you were to get both the filter AND the hood.

Lenspen is a brand, but the term is used so often to describe the item that the salesman will know want you want even if that very brand is not available (just like how Pampers and diapers have been used interchangeably).

Perhaps you might want to get either the hood or the UV filter first before deciding if you really need the other.

I'll risk sounding like a snob of kit lenses, but I feel it can be a disportionate amount of money to spend for the 18-55mm IS if you were to get both the filter AND the hood.

Alright, thanks for the piece of advice. What would you recommend? Buying a hood or a filter?

Alright, thanks for the piece of advice. What would you recommend? Buying a hood or a filter?

I would get a good filter. Hoya or B+W.

Even if need to sell it off later, users of the 100 mm macro lens can also buy it from you, so its not difficult to recoup some money.

For basic lens, getting a cheap or good filter should not matter that much. I'm not sure how true this is (may just be a sales tactic by shops) but if one is going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on lens, it may not be justified to put a $10 filter (kinda silly, like using basic tyres for a Ferrari - you may hear things like that). If your concern then is that using a cheapo filter may affect your photos, then using just a hood with no filter could help.

It all boils down to what you believe. I've moved from using hoods/no filter to clear filter/no-hoods (more for convenience than anything else) so up to you to try and figure out what you really want. I don't believe in UV filter but you may want that. So... informed personal choices :dunno:

Get a Lenspen to help clean your lens.

Get a blower to help blow dust off areas where the brush can't reach and also for end-of-day cleaning after shooting in a dusty environment.

Get a microfibre.

Get a cleaning kit, not those cheap $9, invest in a branded one, like

Get a filter ... like Hoya HMC Multi-Coated UV(0) Filter 58mm for $26 from K-13 Marketing at Peninsula Plaza.

If you want a hood, a hood from Canon will cost you $29 from Canon's Link at VivoCity. Model is EW60C, it is a shallow one. If you want to get a 3rd party, can be had for anything below $20. However, get only a compatible one, not those flower petal types, cos you will have vignetting problem at the wide (18mm) angle focal range.

EDIT: Last but not least, when you are at those camera shops, ask about Dry Cabinet. Since you sounded paranoid about the fingerprint on the lens, might as well get one of this, cos you don't want to have fungus growing in your lenses and even camera. You can use it to store other important magnetic/electronic devices in it. What size to get? You have to figure it out how many lenses you want to have in the future, and other things u want to store in it.

Hope this helps answer ALL your questions, from past forums as well as this one.

Cheers!

Last edited:
what time u getting?

i do u this small favour and teach u lah :sweatsm:

anyway.. i will be in cityhall area later. So if u intend to buy from Cathay Photo. You can meet me. Just pm me.

Get a Lenspen to help clean your lens.

Get a blower to help blow dust off areas where the brush can't reach and also for end-of-day cleaning after shooting in a dusty environment.

Get a microfibre.

Get a cleaning kit, not those cheap $9, invest in a branded one, like

Get a filter ... like Hoya HMC Multi-Coated UV(0) Filter 58mm for $26 from K-13 Marketing at Peninsula Plaza.

If you want a hood, a hood from Canon will cost you $29 from Canon's Link at VivoCity. Model is EW60C, it is a shallow one. If you want to get a 3rd party, can be had for anything below $20. However, get only a compatible one, not those flower petal types, cos you will have vignetting problem at the wide (18mm) angle focal range.

EDIT: Last but not least, when you are at those camera shops, ask about Dry Cabinet. Since you sounded paranoid about the fingerprint on the lens, might as well get one of this, cos you don't want to have fungus growing in your lenses and even camera. You can use it to store other important magnetic/electronic devices in it. What size to get? You have to figure it out how many lenses you want to have in the future, and other things u want to store in it.

Hope this helps answer ALL your questions, from past forums as well as this one.

Cheers!

Thanks for your complete answer. I'm definitely buying a Dry Cabinet and a filter. I think I'll try the filter first. If I see that it decreases the image quality, I'll use a hood.