Going to Berlin... need some advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hey guys,

i am going to berlin for a weekend trip. 2D1N thing... (i study in london you see)
anyways... would be 18-19 Feb. Would be cold i know... just wanted to know what's good to shoot there during the period? any particularly nice and famous buildings? i know got Berlin wall... night shots?

Move on...what's sort of the delicacy there? must try food? thanks in advance...

no one been there recently?:dunno:

I was there last March; supposed to be autumn but still snowing lightly. Weather-wise, quite dull without the sun. Your 2D1N winter weekend trip probably had to depend on luck for photographic opportunities.

There are flea markets nearer to the museum; both quite pictorial. Window decorations are quite colourful. Gardens and lakes should be frozen by now.

Coming from London, you'll notice much similarities between the train stations; stately and looked like they'r built to last forever.

Food glorious food? Typical German stuff like different varieties of sausages and pork knuckles done in different ways.

Have a pleasant trip.

It can get damn cld and wet, but you ae from London, so shouldn't be a problem.

The most impressive thing to photograph, to me, was Check Point Charlie, the famous gate where lost of prisoners/spies exhange took place during the cold war.

Food wise, look for all the different sausages and cured meat. The bread is also unbelievable. Must try the beer too, very diff from the English stuff.

thanks guys... care to share some of the pics you guys took from Berlin? so that i can learn from your experiences...;p

Been there .... i think the area around Berlin Wall is already so beautiful ..... need a whole day to cover ... no need to go to other places. The small shops around eveywhere are also nice ... nice lanes, streets, etc.... :thumbsup:

Forgot, have a full day in Berlin Zoo ... but this time of the yr is too cold ..... April of Oct would be good. A very big collection of primates - King Kongs, big animals, etc... The aquarium is also very nice.

I love Berlin. Really rich in war history. You should go on the walkabout tour. It starts in the morning and it takes you through the jewish quarters, the eastern berlin all the way to the parliament house and the new Berlin. I really loved the tour and there are plenty of oppty for photos and it was really cheap.

pics - www.pbase.com/seankyh

buy me shoes! :lovegrin:

seankyh said:
I love Berlin. Really rich in war history. You should go on the walkabout tour. It starts in the morning and it takes you through the jewish quarters, the eastern berlin all the way to the parliament house and the new Berlin. I really loved the tour and there are plenty of oppty for photos and it was really cheap.

pics - www.pbase.com/seankyh

were your pics from pbase all from your day tour? if so... really looks good... maybe will go for that... saves me all the travelling... yups... got some Audio input too... other than visual... what's the building which has a gigantic column in the middle?

as for all the rest, thanks for all the input so far...

Yes NISA... i will remember to buy your your shoes... ;)

londonray said:
were your pics from pbase all from your day tour? if so... really looks good... maybe will go for that... saves me all the travelling... yups... got some Audio input too... other than visual... what's the building which has a gigantic column in the middle?

as for all the rest, thanks for all the input so far...

Yes NISA... i will remember to buy your your shoes... ;)

Most of them were taken during the tour with my trusty old Coolpix 5000 + 28mm wideangle attachment. There is also a picture of the guide in there somewhere. Think I only paid 15 Euros for the tour.

There are a few photos in the gallery which I went back to take. The building with the gigantic column in the middle is actually the dome of the the parliament house. The shiny mirors move during the day to reflect sunlight into the parliament area below pretty cool.

Berlin has a lot of new architecture which is very eyecatching. The old architecture comprising of cubism, art nuveau and later concrete (after WW2) is pretty amazing too. I learnt this during the tour :D

You can find out about the walking tours in your hotel. There are advertistment material in the lobby.

Hope you have a great time and don't forget to post the pics here!

You know what? I just saw the pics again in my gallery just now and realize that it is exactly 2 years ago that I was there!! What a coincidence. Must go back. Left my heart there.

yea the reichstag (did i spell it correctly?) is a must-go tour..
a 2 day walk about in berlin should have u covering the city center nicely.

here're my shots of berlin and some other european countries www.lateral-i.com/europe

Bundestag as well. Lovely place. The reincarnation of Reichstag is just great, so like Clown says, you should probably visit it.

It's such a waste for me coz I was there in 2001 when my first DSLR (10D) wasn't born yet ....:cry: only have a roll of film-pics.

Slivester said:
Bundestag as well. Lovely place. The reincarnation of Reichstag is just great, so like Clown says, you should probably visit it.

Clown said:
yea the reichstag (did i spell it correctly?) is a must-go tour..
a 2 day walk about in berlin should have u covering the city center nicely.

here're my shots of berlin and some other european countries www.lateral-i.com/europe

will go do some research on the Bundestang and Reichstag... are they 2 separate places?
Anyone can recommend a good company for walkabout tour? roughly how much huh? ( poor student me on tight budget) thanks in advance for the info...

Although i would think that the period i would be there is lousy... very winter... very bleak... hmm... will try to make the most of my time there... haha... ;)

Canonised said:
It's such a waste for me coz I was there in 2001 when my first DSLR (10D) wasn't born yet ....:cry: only have a roll of film-pics.

don't worry brother, when i first came to London also just 1 C5050... sometimes rather sianz of the limitations of the camera... only recently then got the D70 and bought the tokina 12-24 for italy... never regret... some pics would never have been possible without it... esp in the Vatican... yups...

It was winter when I went on the walking tour. I believe it was 2 degrees that day and it was windy. FREEZING!!!

Very important to get a thin woolen pair of gloves. Can't be too thick or you will not be able to control the cam..

seankyh said:
It was winter when I went on the walking tour. I believe it was 2 degrees that day and it was windy. FREEZING!!!

Very important to get a thin woolen pair of gloves. Can't be too thick or you will not be able to control the cam..

got my mittens.. not to worry... London is also very cold now... have some handwarmers too... will be bringing those...hehe... will try to post when i get back...:D

seankyh said:

In some years, you get -20C and below. It might be a good idea to get some warm headwear to protect your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.