Going States for 3mths, need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordwindsg

Nov 20, 2005
hi ppl..i ll be going to the States for smthg like an academic exchange for 3mths...i'll be bringg a d50 and a sigma 18-200mm over (mayb a 50mm f1.8, dependg on budget.. :embrass: ), and is v worried if there will be any prob if i were to juz bring a normal bag there to store these equipment. will it be humid enuf to encourage any fungus growth? :embrass: thks in advance for any sound advice! :)

I know pple in australia don't even own a dry cabi. Low humidity in these countries unlike Singapore :sweat:

Hi,

Humidity might be a problem only if you're in the southernmost bits of US. Other places will be far drier. Whereabouts will you be, exactly? More specific info will help pinpoint a better answer for you.

for the first two mths, i ll be at yellowstone, the national park at wyoming. shd be quite dry up there, 2000m abv sea lvl! haha.. but subsequently, ll be travelg ard the west part first, mainly california and vegas..then ll end up at New York ard august (by then, is it the wet season?). :)

states is cool n dry air, dun think u reallie need a dry cabi, just bring solicon gel should be enough ba :p, US cold
(i was in california for about 2mths)

hi ppl..i ll be going to the States for smthg like an academic exchange for 3mths...i'll be bringg a d50 and a sigma 18-200mm over (mayb a 50mm f1.8, dependg on budget.. :embrass: ), and is v worried if there will be any prob if i were to juz bring a normal bag there to store these equipment. will it be humid enuf to encourage any fungus growth? :embrass: thks in advance for any sound advice! :)

remember to bring dozens of condom as US size diffrence ;)

erm..even for those silicon-gel-based box type, i think it ll be v difficult for me to bring over..cos ll be backpackg at times..think i ll juz try my luck w/o any of these then..no choice.. :dunno:

as for jac's advice, erm..thks, but no comments.. .. .. :sweat:

Use ziplock bag, put the equipment in, duck out the air and seal it. Cheap and good.

erm..even for those silicon-gel-based box type, i think it ll be v difficult for me to bring over..cos ll be backpackg at times..think i ll juz try my luck w/o any of these then..no choice.. :dunno:

as for jac's advice, erm..thks, but no comments.. .. .. :sweat:

tt's a cheap and convenient way to do it! though i dunno how much it ll help exactly, but it definitely sounds like the best and practical option currently..thks a lot bro! :D

for the first two mths, i ll be at yellowstone, the national park at wyoming. shd be quite dry up there, 2000m abv sea lvl! haha.. but subsequently, ll be travelg ard the west part first, mainly california and vegas..then ll end up at New York ard august (by then, is it the wet season?). :)

Wow... you are travelling Northbound, West then to the East...
So envious :rolleyes: ... I've been in the States for years, but haven't did a West to East drivethru...

hmm..don't think i ll be driving all the way frm west to east! most prob ll just take an internal flight.. :)

hmm..don't think i ll be driving all the way frm west to east! most prob ll just take an internal flight.. :)

Southwest provides very cheap flights. Do look them up.
I'm going back to San Jose after my Vietnam vacation... you can PM me if you need help moving about in CA.

yup! sure..! million thanks in advance for the offer.. :D

how abt this for a temporary solution?? saw it retailing at cp for abt $75.

photo5101.jpg

works by manually pumping the grey lever located at the lid to create a vacume effect, construction seems pretty tough but of cos u cannot drop it from a 10storey building "for example" and still expect it to stay in shape thou. if u need something tougher go for the pelican case.

how abt this for a temporary solution?? saw it retailing at cp for abt $75.

photo5101.jpg

works by manually pumping the grey lever located at the lid to create a vacume effect, construction seems pretty tough but of cos u cannot drop it from a 10storey building "for example" and still expect it to stay in shape thou. if u need something tougher go for the pelican case.

the vacuumsaver isn't that good.. u still need silica gel... anyway if you're backpacking u wouldn't want to bring a big case along anyway... i'd suggest getting a bottle of silica gel, and a few small containers/bags to use it in ur camera bag... everytime the gel turns pink just replace and throw the old one away... cheap and easy method.. and ur bag gets lighter along the way.... :thumbsup:

generally the weather is quite dry, and i believe u'll be using the camera everyday so there shouldn't be much worries...

Not sure about NY, but I think for the rest of the areas you mentioned, they are quite dry. Humidity should not be a problem. I don't you need to bother to bring dry boxes. :bsmilie:

And there should be plenty of photo opportunities in those areas. Keep your weekends busy.. explorinng/shooting...

Southwest provides very cheap flights. Do look them up.
I'm going back to San Jose after my Vietnam vacation... you can PM me if you need help moving about in CA.

air trend as well :D

wow! thks for all the advice..hmm..the dry box looks cool indeed, but not so pocket-friendly for me now.. almost emptied my savings juz to pay for my dslr which i bought specially for the trip! so dun worry tt i wun make sure of it! :D but..pardon my newbie/idoitic qns here, does it mean tt if i use it regular, fungus wun grow tt easily? haha! sorry..first time owning a dslr.. :sweat:

hmm..as for Yosemite, dun think i ll visit it.. :embrass: since i wld hv spent 2mths at yellowstone by then already..haha..but niagara falls shd be part of my itinerary..and i ll of cos avoid exposing my camera near the falls! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.