Going solo - A week of cycle touring in Perth

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007

20161107-IMGP5393 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Remember all those times you are in a car or coach on a tour and see some scenic place/sight, but the transport just keeps going?
Well, thats part of the reason why I choose to do it via bicycle.

I've always wanted to do a bike tour.
But touring meant long distance stamina and some speed to cover boring parts.
As such, I started doing triathlons in their various distances and never did the bike touring I had intended.
(Ok, I did 2 short ones before this, but centered within a city)

So finally, after almost 10yrs, I found the time, fitness, will to get started on cycle touring proper.
Packed my bike, Pentax K1 and 3 smallish primes (M20/4; FA35/2; FA77/1.8ltd) for the trip.

20161107-IMGP5328-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Shore birds along the way (Swan River) from Perth to Mandurah

Last edited:
another great thread from you. Now my turn to envy you...1st pics is powerrr....

More JK.

Jk, well done and a safe trip home. Agree with Joe's comment The 1st picture already made me sit up and spend several more minutes admiring the photo, and i bet there will be more to come from you.

We really appreciate your efforts and the pictures which helps keep the Pentax flag flying. :D

Adventurous JK, camping for more.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

I can't say that I did the scenery much justice as I planned my cycling schedule a bit tight with an emphasis on the cycling aspect of it.
So many nice scenes along the way that I would not have reached my accommodation for the night if I kept stopping for proper tripod type shots. :D

Maybe I will try camping in the future, that will be a good way to catch sunrise/set at nice locations.
Else, I just don't want to move in the cold. :D

Thanks to everyone for the support. I can't say that I did the scenery much justice as I planned my cycling schedule a bit tight with an emphasis on the cycling aspect of it. So many nice scenes along the way that I would not have reached my accommodation for the night if I kept stopping for proper tripod type shots. :D Maybe I will try camping in the future, that will be a good way to catch sunrise/set at nice locations. Else, I just don't want to move in the cold. :D
That's why driving and tour buses isn't such a bad idea...

Last edited:

20161107-IMGP5368-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

This would be one of the 'small sights' one would seldom see nor take notice to shoot on a driving tour.
More 'neighbourly' and off the beaten path away from the usual tourist route .

20161107-IMGP5341 by jenkwang, on Flickr
At Mandurah, Dolphin bay; K1+FA35/2

Last edited:

20161107-IMGP5391-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Lake Clifton.

Too bad the water was too high to photograph the thrombolites which was supposed to be the highlight for the day.
With the setting Sun and winds, it was very cold here for a guy from the tropics.

20161107-IMGP5368-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M20/4

This would be one of the 'small sights' one would seldom see nor take notice to shoot on a driving tour.
More 'neighbourly' and off the beaten path away from the usual tourist route .

20161107-IMGP5341 by jenkwang, on Flickr
At Mandurah, Dolphin bay; K1+FA35/2

OMG, cycle from Perth to Mandurah, 65km, that is far.

OMG, cycle from Perth to Mandurah, 65km, that is far.

A bit a bite from the bike bug. :D
138km and about 1km of climbs for Day.
Perth > Lake Clifton (with Mandurah being the half way point)

20161108-IMGP5026-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax Q7+02 zoom

Just the road, the sky and me.
One certainly finds himself in a trip like this.

Last edited:

20161107-IMGP5415 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Booked a place at Lake Clifton via AirBnB, since it was a rather remote place, there weren't that many options.
Glad I booked, it was a nice place after a long day.

Haha....nice solo

JK, going solo on a week long cycling trip? sir, you are tough as nails undertaking this on a teensy weensy bicycle :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Fresh air, lovely scenery and all by personal effort.
Its a nice feeling.

Looks like a great Trip all alone!!

I doubt i would dare to cycle alone man, and seriously can't complete such a far journey :p

WAiting to see more photos!

Looks like a great Trip all alone!!

I doubt i would dare to cycle alone man, and seriously can't complete such a far journey :p

WAiting to see more photos!

Its this sort of thing that I feel one finds himself.
There is no one/point to complain when it gets tough, cold and the headwinds blow.
No support car to climb into for the warmth and rest.
Just have to dig deep into oneself and chip out the miles a pedal at a time.

The feeling that you think you can't, but then you are still going.

Older folks are doing this and even longer distances, so give it a try.
Who knows ;)