Going Overseas for Holiday+Studies (Sony A55, Samsung NX10 or Sony NX5/SamsungNX100)

Oriflamme

Nov 1, 2010
Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot about reviews on all 4. However I am in a dilema. As I will be there for 2 months. I would need to pack light. As there is weight restrictions of 20kg on luggage. However I would like to have good IQ and video so I don't need to bring a 2ndary video cam. Please advise. I was even considering Canon EOS550D which like the A55 won the dpreview gold award.

Please advise. Thanks

Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot about reviews on all 4. However I am in a dilema. As I will be there for 2 months. I would need to pack light. As there is weight restrictions of 20kg on luggage. However I would like to have good IQ and video so I don't need to bring a 2ndary video cam. Please advise. I was even considering Canon EOS550D which like the A55 won the dpreview gold award.

Please advise. Thanks

You have to pack your stuff and see how much weight you can spare for a camera.

Best choice I would say is a prosumer PnS.

You don't need to pack your DSLR in your luggage. Most airlines will let you carry it onto the plane.

All the cameras you listed are good, but I would suggest the A55 since it's quite good.

Thanks so much guys for your suggestions... Yeahz I'm seriously leaning over to A55... That's true but I'm taking UA and they said that 20kg including hand held luggage? I'll be there for slightly over a month so weight is crucial cuz I believe I will be buying lots of stuff back for friends/family etc... However I love photography and I know the limitations of a PNS esp owning a LX3... I have a Canon 40D which is a good cam and a Panasonic HD camcorder.. However bringing both would mean extra weight+messy cables for charging... So I decided to just bring a reasonably light but functional cam for good shots of scenery and my graduation... :)

Hi guys,

Please advise. Thanks

my advice is to pack less, and you can buy whatever you want.

in fact, you should be hand carrying your camera, goodness gracious me. you want to pack it in your check-in and leave it to the mercy of the baggage handlers?

Haha no way manz... My laptop and cam will always be with me.. What I meant is that UA stated on their webpage for economy class passengers 20kg includes handheld+luggage combined... I remember last time 20kg was just for luggage and not inclusive of handheld...

You do know that you can actually apply for more luggage if you are going there for official studies? It varies from airline to airline, but generally they will allow you to carry 30kg, some up to 40kg. Maybe you want to check with UA?

United airlines allowed up to 70 lbs. That's 30 kgs. But that is years back. I am not sure about now.

Cool thanks for the tip! I'll try to check with UA... Thanks once again! :)

You do know that you can actually apply for more luggage if you are going there for official studies? It varies from airline to airline, but generally they will allow you to carry 30kg, some up to 40kg. Maybe you want to check with UA?