Going Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
Hi members,

I need some advice on manual cameras. I have been using a Minolta 800si with a 24-105 lens for a couple of years and I'm pretty happy with it. I thought about getting wider glass in th range of 17-20 and perhaps a flash gun. However, those are still quite costly for me even as people are ditching gears and moving towards digital.

Turning my attention to manual, I figured I can probably get a decent manual body with nice glass in that range. After some research, the Canon FD family of lenses seem to be quite popular and affordable. As for camera bodies, I wouldn't want to go that far back as support & batteries could be a problem. AA would be very nice. The T90 seems like a nice camera (albeit heavy).

Would appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, does CameraWorkshop have a website?

I'm working in Australia at the moment and photo gears are very expensive here. If CameraWorkshop offers their services online ...

Thanks
Matthew

I'll prefer the FE-2. there is no need to adjust the shutter speed and your shooting speed is faster... then there is a big range on nikkor lens from the MF to the AF lens series.

SniperD said:
How about a Nikon FM2? Hardiest and one of the more recommended from the Nikon family

I heard that the Nikkor lenses are still quite expensive because the newer AF bodies are backward compatible. Hence, there's less 2nd hand ones to go around in the market. Checking with ebay does seem to confirm that.

I would go for FE2 or FE3 (is there one?) if I go for Nikon because I still prefer little electronics. However, I think they lack the spot meter that is one of my requirements.

Thanks
Matthew

Other nice alternatives are:

Mechnical cameras, uses common LR44/SR44 battery need for meter only. Shutter will works w/o battery. GDP or Silicon cell meter is faster and has not memory effect like common Cds. M42 are also call universal mount, plentiful out there and affordable, famous CJZ/Takumar and ofcos the fantastic Industar-61L/Z and Jupiter-9 MC. Ricoh are more modern, Super II are made in 80's to 90's and Super III are still available new. Super II/III uses Pentax K-mount and Pentax SMC lens are afforable, 7 layer coating and famous for it's bokeh. There are many adapters available for M42 lens to use on Canon, Pentax K-mount, Nikon and many more.

1. Pentax KX
Tank like body, 1 ~ 18EV exposure range, 1 ~ 1/1000, B shutter, 1/60 ~ 1, B flash, K-mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, mirror lock-up, SPD meter.

2. Pentax MX
Compact body, 1 ~ 19EV exposure range, 1 ~ 1/1000, B shutter, 1/60 ~ 1, B flash, K-mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, GDP meter.

3. Pentax LX
Removable Prism body, -6.5EV ~ 20 exposure range, 125 ~ 1/1000, 1-B shutter, 1/75 ~ 1, B flash, K-mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, mirror lock-up, SPD meter.

4. Fujica ST605n
Compact body, 1 ~ 1/700, B shutter, 1/60 ~ 1, B flash, M42-screw mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, SBC meter, Stop-down aperture TTL metering.

5. Fujica ST705
Compact body, 1 ~ 1/1500, B shutter, 1/60 ~ 1, B flash, M42-screw mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, SBC meter, Open-aperture TTL metering.

6. Fujica ST801
First camera with LED metering, 1 ~ 1/2000, B shutter, 1/60 ~ 1, B flash, M42-screw mount, self-timer, DOF-preview, SBC meter, Open-aperture TTL metering.

7. Ricoh KR-5 Super II
Compact body, 1~ 1/2000, B shutter, 1/125 ~ 1, B flash, K-mount, self-timer, Pre-fire mirror lockup, Cds meter.

8. Ricoh KR-5 Super III
Compact body, 1~ 1/2000, B shutter, 1/125 ~ 1, B flash, K-mount, self-timer, Pre-fire mirror lockup, DOF-preview, Multiple exposure capability, more accurate Cds meter then Super II.

Pentax Spotmatic are nice too if you can find mercury battery.
Many more others may like to recommend here like the FMs.

Pentax'es are very well made, reliable. Fujica is M42 class that uses Silicon cell like modern camera hence accurate than many M42, very bright viewer, doesn't use mercury cell. Ricoh are light, compact and very afforable camera with modern spec. very good user and no worries if you don't baby your equipments.

Wow, that's a very good overview of quite a number of cameras. Thanks for that. I'll have a look at the optics from the brands you listed.

The camera stores here stock more of Canon & Minolta, little or none of Pentax. I would have expected stocks of Canon & Nikon like in Singapore. Strange isn't it :)

Thanks
Matt

Ya, that's why I have to buy from ebay.
Yesterday ebay has a Ricoh KR-Super II and III + 2 lens close bid at U$43.
I nearly wanted to bid it.

Btw, Ricoh KR-Super II, Nikon FM10, Olympus OM2000, Yashica FX Super 3 are the same camera with different mount and meter, all made by -> Cosina.

Many Tamrom, Nikon consumer lens are made by Cosina too.

Nikon FE2 has a electronics shutter meaning to say that it will not work at all without batteries. There is not product known as the FE3. Are you trying to meant FM3a??? FM3a is a hybrid body meaning to say that it will still work without batteries (mech. shutter) and it also have the 'Auto' mode. However, FM3a is not cheap.
You might want to consider the Olympus OM-series...fully mech, body and quite cheap also...but lens might be abit difficult to find.

xxx

st11x said:
I heard that the Nikkor lenses are still quite expensive because the newer AF bodies are backward compatible. Hence, there's less 2nd hand ones to go around in the market. Checking with ebay does seem to confirm that.

I would go for FE2 or FE3 (is there one?) if I go for Nikon because I still prefer little electronics. However, I think they lack the spot meter that is one of my requirements.

Thanks
Matthew

XXX Boy said:
Nikon FE2 has a electronics shutter meaning to say that it will not work at all without batteries. There is not product known as the FE3. Are you trying to meant FM3a??? FM3a is a hybrid body meaning to say that it will still work without batteries (mech. shutter) and it also have the 'Auto' mode. However, FM3a is not cheap.
You might want to consider the Olympus OM-series...fully mech, body and quite cheap also...but lens might be abit difficult to find.

xxx
Actually, THE mechanical camera to get is none other than the legendary Leica M series, e.g. M6, M7, MP. :devil:

Red Dawn will attest to that. :)

Regards
CK

M7 is not a 100 per cent mech camera...only 2 mech speeds to use when the electonics fails...it is more of electronics body than a 'pure' mech camera.
I am not stating that the M7 is no good...in fact it is great coz it offers 'Auto' mode which is faster to work with but it is much too ex as compared to a M6ttl.
:bheart:

ckiang said:
Actually, THE mechanical camera to get is none other than the legendary Leica M series, e.g. M6, M7, MP. :devil:

Red Dawn will attest to that. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.