Going into space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
http://www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/Online-Exclusives/Science-Experiment--Camera-Not-Lost-in-Space/49$4139
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arena5/sets/72157606119049987/detail/

Wow...:bigeyes:
2659744049_fd87d8598c_b.jpg

1220629172843_2661888836_343efc9cf3_m.jpg

exif file
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/3000"
F Number = F4
Exposure Program = Shutter priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-07-11 10:36:14
Date Time Digitized = 2008-07-11 10:36:14
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 18mm
Maker Note = 35997 Byte
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 3872
Exif Image Height = 2592
Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 36656
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Custom Rendered = Normal process

Lens was the Pentax DA 18-55 II

Last edited:
woah....now that was amazing :eek:

Thanks for sharing :)
going to space is one thing, working in space is another. dont know how much the space balloon costs but the K10D setup is peanuts compared to what i think NASA advisers list of recommended camera for such use.

" Upon reaching that peak, the balloon bursts due to physics. The cargo then returns to the ground via parachute. According to Arena, the trauma of the balloon burst and the initial fall are quite violent until the camera system reaches the denser air and begins to slow down.

Surprisingly, the camera did not malfuction, even with the extreme cold and movement. The k10d's exposures came out despite swinging, spinning and bouncing cargo, especially after the balloon burst.
"

I wonder if they used the K10D because they knew it can handle the stress or simply because its the most affordable they could find compared to 1D and D3 with similar protection systems.

Last edited:
going to space is one thing, working in space is another. dont know how much the space balloon costs but the K10D setup is peanuts compared to what i think NASA advisers list of recommended camera for such use.

uh huh :)

Even the X-prize has proven that relatively tiny enterprises can accomplish tasks larger corporations would take billions to achieve :sweat:

Omg
I am LOST FOR WORDS!

Stunning!
At 1st i thought the pics are taken from a satelite

:thumbsup:

Omg
I am LOST FOR WORDS!

Stunning!
At 1st i thought the pics are taken from a satelite

:thumbsup:
thats what i thought so too.

That's a very interesting post!

Thanks for sharing.

On a side note, now I know that upon re-entry the camera lenses suffer from lens condensation.

The Pentax is really made of sturdy stuff to be able to go into space. I think I'll get one as a backup to my Nikon system if I ever go to a tough place like the Antarctic or poles.

They didn't explain why they used Pentax? Is it because the professor is a pentaxian? Might have been more useful if the payload had some reaction wheels or some form of movement control and live video link( like liveview) and then the shutter actuation can be managed from the ground. Shouldn't be too hard for these guys, they aren't amateurs.

They didn't explain why they used Pentax? Is it because the professor is a pentaxian? Might have been more useful if the payload had some reaction wheels or some form of movement control and live video link( like liveview) and then the shutter actuation can be managed from the ground. Shouldn't be too hard for these guys, they aren't amateurs.
according to the person, "Time lapse was done using external triggering from a Pclix LT100. Lithium batteries are used since other battery technologies cannot handle the extreme cold. (K10d uses Lithium as well of course) Triggering was set to 1 picture every 15 seconds, and the flight lasted for 102 minutes." But i am guessing the reason why the Pentax was used is because they had one handy and replacement not really that expensive compared to replacing a 1D or D3 cameras + lens.

movement control and live view can be done but i also am guessing those functions could have blow the budget + added unecessary weight.

according to the person, "Time lapse was done using external triggering from a Pclix LT100. Lithium batteries are used since other battery technologies cannot handle the extreme cold. (K10d uses Lithium as well of course) Triggering was set to 1 picture every 15 seconds, and the flight lasted for 102 minutes." But i am guessing the reason why the Pentax was used is because they had one handy and replacement not really that expensive compared to replacing a 1D or D3 cameras + lens.

movement control and live view can be done but i also am guessing those functions could have blow the budget + added unecessary weight.

True but would have been cool , pentax is also one of the few camera makers to have their equipment used on the moon also if i remember correctly , along with minolta.

For those who are interested to know more..Dr. Arena Jr. is a Pentaxian and he chose the K10D due to his familiarity and experience with the Pentax brand...There is a short correspondent with him posted here.

About The ASTRO program.

Some pics with Pentax K10D + DA 10-17mm fisheye at 10mm from their ASTRO 12 lauched in 11 dec 2008 here.

Picture of the early morning sun above Oklahoma on ASTRO-12 taken from 98,514 ft.
98514_defish.jpg

For those who are interested to know more..Dr. Arena Jr. is a Pentaxian and he chose the K10D due to his familiarity and experience with the Pentax brand...There is a short correspondent with him posted here.

About The ASTRO program.

Some pics with Pentax K10D + DA 10-17mm fisheye at 10mm from their ASTRO 12 lauched in 11 dec 2008 here.

Picture of the early morning sun above Oklahoma on ASTRO-12 taken from 98,514 ft.
98514_defish.jpg

Wow , those images are nothing compared to this , nice one. I c , no wonder he is a Pentaxian.

Really inspiring...
That's a new form of photography for the average people! :bsmilie:

can we release high altitude ballons here in singapore or would the rsaf shoot the thing down?

Absolutely amazing and fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Wow. Incredible. If you can bring the camera up there, you can bring it anywhere.

No more "I'm going to XXX, how to take care of camera?" threads.

any decent camera at that height can take such shots, do not have to be a pentax.
its surviving the return trip that i believe wll test durablility even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.