Going home

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Last Saturday, I sat on a foldable stool at a crossroad near SLS for 1.5 hours, shooting motorbikes. All strangers stared at me as if I were an alien. My purpose was to shoot anything moving fast. This is my first try. Now have a better plan and will show u more in the future.

Aperture priority F2.8, 1/3200s, 175mm, ISO 100, handheld panning with subject.
020511_07_small.jpg

Originally posted by tomshen
Aperture priority F2.8, 1/3200s, 175mm, ISO 100, handheld panning with subject.

Tom,
First Rule of Thumb for panning shots - high shutter speeds are a NO-NO! Might as well not pan, cos the high shutter speed will freeze the subject anyway.

So, for your next 3hr (double-time as punishment :devil: ), try using the following:-

Shutter priority (Tv mode for Canon)
Shutter speed - between 1/30s to 1/60s
May want to turn off autofocus, and pre-focus on a single spot

Technique:-
Choose a suitable spot directly in FRONT of you (ie. you are facing it DIRECTLY).
Assuming your subject will be coming from the right, ROTATE at the waist (not too much, otherwise your hips/legs may fall off :bsmilie: ) and pan WITH the subject. When the subject passes your pre-determined spot, press the shutter button and maintain follow thru to the left side - ie. a smooth motion from right to left and pressing the shutter button in the middle.

Repeat until you get a suitably sharp subject with a smooth blurred background.

Alternatively, there is also a trend on CS to use panning to mean tracking...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Darren

Assuming your subject will be coming from the right, ROTATE at the waist (not too much, otherwise your hips/legs may fall off :bsmilie: ) and pan WITH the subject.

His legs won't fall off, he is comfortably sitting on a STOOL! Man, he really know how to enjoy... :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: Darren, thanks a lot for yr info. I will go back and try your method. :embrass:

Normally I use shutter priority (Tv) for moving subjects. But this time I were under hot sun, if use Tv then aperture might go up very high so cannot blur the background. My subjects were moving quite slowly, so it's difficult to get a blur background. Next time I will wait near a highway to try.

Originally posted by ziploc

His legs won't fall off, he is comfortably sitting on a STOOL! Man, he really know how to enjoy... :bsmilie:
haha, bought on that afternoon so used it immediately. Hey it's very comfortable, man! Advice to all streetshooters: bring a stool ($6.5@Carrefour) with you and enjoy yr time shooting cars and birds:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.