going home.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer_Jay

Jul 5, 2006
Pasir Ris
Hello,

Just came back from a recent trip to Krabi, Thailand. Took this shot on the last day before leaving for Singapore. Got a lots more sunset pic but no time to process them yet.

Posted this 1 cos I want comment on the composition of the picture and the mood of the feeling.

The original photos was strictly following the "rules of third" for the sun but dun really work out, so decided to go against the basic and put the sun and the boat right in the middle of the picture. Please let me know does this work?

Exif are as follow:-
iso @ 100
appeture @ f5
shuttle @ 1/200 sec
lens used is Canon 55-250 IS

Jay the comments seeker

2277074839_7ef81b2fc1_o.jpg

very nice exposure. I like how the clouds stratify the setting sun, and the reflection trail of the sun in the water catches the boat at the right spot, im guessing you waited for it.

perfect in my book

except it is a pity that everything is so centrally located, the sun, the boat, i think you know, have mentioned it yourself already. the problem with most centrally placed subjects is you just whack it straight away with your eye, and then you realise that there is all to it, and you don't look at the rest of the picture

the position of boat is good though

maybe wait at different place next time, or zoom out a little. the problem, i would think, lies with the horizontal framing of the picture, for the vertical positions of all the elements, they are great. nonetheless i think it is a good photo that you can be proud of, i would be

perfect in my book

except it is a pity that everything is so centrally located, the sun, the boat, i think you know, have mentioned it yourself already. the problem with most centrally placed subjects is you just whack it straight away with your eye, and then you realise that there is all to it, and you don't look at the rest of the picture

maybe wait at different place next time, or zoom out a little. nonetheless i think it is a good photo that you can be proud of, i would be

actually not that centre after all, there are many elements of application of the rules of the third, i feel it works very well. haha

i will be proud of it too!

perfect in my book

maybe wait at different place next time, or zoom out a little. the problem, i would think, lies with the horizontal framing of the picture, for the vertical positions of all the elements, they are great. nonetheless i think it is a good photo that you can be proud of, i would be

boss,

thank you for that endorsement. :)

actually i was thinking if i wait till the boat reach the final "3rd" intersection will it be better? then it wont be so centralised liao.

jay the pondering

very nice exposure. I like how the clouds stratify the setting sun, and the reflection trail of the sun in the water catches the boat at the right spot, im guessing you waited for it.

bro,

thank you for the compliment. yes, i waited for the boat to reach the spot and snap. cos might only have 1 chance so must wait for the correct moment. cannot gan cheong:)

jay the oldman-so-no-need-to-gan-cheong

actually not that centre after all, there are many elements of application of the rules of the third, i feel it works very well. haha

it is the space on the left that irks me, i don't mind if the camera is moved right to include more of land mass, less of space on the left.

the boat is rushing right, so as far as possible i would not have stuff on the left so that there is a proper lead-in, it is weird to lead-in in the centre

alternatively, cropping might solve this problem too

(great my flickr just got spoilt, bloody hell.. so took a while to use clubsnap galleries instead - how do you make them private because this is not my photo?!)

b17.jpg

a27.jpg

some suggested crops :dunno:

IMHO, this is a clear cut case of breaking the rules.

The one third rule discourages placing an important element in the center of the frame. However, there are situations when a centrally placed element works effectively. One situation is when there's nothing else in the scene that competes with the main subject.

Your image is an example of this theory.

For effective visual communication, a image must have both strength and clarity. A viewer can become bored with a image when one or both is lacking.
The term strength refers to the ability of a image to attract the viewer's attention.
If there is nothing compelling in the image to gain attention immediately, it will be discarded.
Clarity refers to the ability of a image to maintain the viewer's interest. This is accomplish by allowing the viewer to explore the parts and subtleties of the image.
It must provide an avenue for the viewer to examine all parts of the scene and return to the main focus. The viewer will abandon the image before examining the various parts and subtleties if the image lacks strength.
One method of creating strength in an image is to create focal points that draw the viewer's eye to that area. Focal points compel the viewer to look at them first.

The sun and the silhouette of the boat cutting across the rellection are the pivotal focal
in your image.

I would say overall, this is a strong visual image that has punch.
Just my 2 cents worth.

it is the space on the left that irks me, i don't mind if the camera is moved right to include more of land mass, less of space on the left.

the boat is rushing right, so as far as possible i would not have stuff on the left so that there is a proper lead-in, it is weird to lead-in in the centre

alternatively, cropping might solve this problem too

(great my flickr just got spoilt, bloody hell.. so took a while to use clubsnap galleries instead - how do you make them private because this is not my photo?!)

some suggested crops :dunno:

boss,

my flickr also spoil. think its flickr server problem.

anyway, are u refering to this composition?

IMG_8341a.jpg

i dun really like it cos the right side will be too empty and too much of the mountain is kind of distraction.

jay the learner

bro,

thank you for the encouragement. :)

i still thinking how u did ur hulk series. hahhahahha i mean the colour is so realistic.

jay the yellow

IMHO, this is a clear cut case of breaking the rules.

The one third rule discourages placing an important element in the center of the frame. However, there are situations when a centrally placed element works effectively. One situation is when there's nothing else in the scene that competes with the main subject.

Your image is an example of this theory.

For effective visual communication, a image must have both strength and clarity. A viewer can become bored with a image when one or both is lacking.
The term strength refers to the ability of a image to attract the viewer's attention.
If there is nothing compelling in the image to gain attention immediately, it will be discarded.
Clarity refers to the ability of a image to maintain the viewer's interest. This is accomplish by allowing the viewer to explore the parts and subtleties of the image.
It must provide an avenue for the viewer to examine all parts of the scene and return to the main focus. The viewer will abandon the image before examining the various parts and subtleties if the image lacks strength.
One method of creating strength in an image is to create focal points that draw the viewer's eye to that area. Focal points compel the viewer to look at them first.

The sun and the silhouette of the boat cutting across the rellection are the pivotal focal
in your image.

I would say overall, this is a strong visual image that has punch.
Just my 2 cents worth.

bro,

thank you so much for the effort and time to explain in details on "strength and clearity". :thumbsup:

guess lots of newbies like me will deffinately benefit from ur post.

of cos its always a gamble to break the rules. but i will bare ur teaching in mind if i ever want to gamble again. hahahhahah

once again. thank you very much. :thumbsup:

jay the appreciater

ps - if wat u said is only worth 2 cents, then i wonder wat i worth? hahhhahahhah

boss,

my flickr also spoil. think its flickr server problem.

anyway, are u refering to this composition?

IMG_8341a.jpg

i dun really like it cos the right side will be too empty and too much of the mountain is kind of distraction.

jay the learner

yes, this is what i had in mind. this image is softer and noisier though

the idea of the title is also brought across much stronger

you say, going home, but where is the home?

i don't know, that is my view, of course everyone always has different views :)

yes, this is what i had in mind. this image is softer and noisier though

the idea of the title is also brought across much stronger

you say, going home, but where is the home?

i don't know, that is my view, of course everyone always has different views :)

boss,

sorry about the noise and the softness of the re-done photo. it was a 3 mins job and also think its the compression by CS photo hosting.

ur idea was my original idea. the re-do photo was almost the same as the original photo except tat the original is bigger and brighter nia.

after comparing between 2 photos zillion times, i still find tat ur idea (which is my original idea also) is somehow off balance. i dunnoe how to put it but it just give me tat feeling.

even i take into consideration of the title to your idea, ur home is ssssoooooooo fffffaaaaarrrrrrr away on the right. maybe YOU really are very far from HOME now. hahhahahhaha

now, this is a very good discussion on sticking to the rules or breaking the rules. can we have other opinions or discussion or vote on this? we need discussion to improve. (modarators, sorry, i dunnoe will this go against the house rules here)

jay the rules breaker

after comparing between 2 photos zillion times, i still find tat ur idea (which is my original idea also) is somehow off balance. i dunnoe how to put it but it just give me tat feeling.
maybe it boils down to personal taste - it's hard to say

after looking a few more times i still prefer the latter version though :dunno:

as long as basic concepts of compositions are kept, i have huge tolerances for composition. in fact, it is good to vary if you have the time.

few options all works for me.
1. the 1/3 rule you have applied in the re-edited
2. the tighter panaroma with 1/3 rule from nightmare, but even tighter with the bottom crop off more and thus more panaroma.
3. a even more centralised picture in your original (it is not centralised enough)
4. a vertical crop maintaing perfect centralisation.

my fav? prob #4.
my second choice #2.

something of interest. the composition is simple, so that is all to it and all to it. it is hard to make it complicated and "more". but you can emphasise the factors inside, by making it tighter for example.

as long as basic concepts of compositions are kept, i have huge tolerances for composition. in fact, it is good to vary if you have the time.

2. the tighter panaroma with 1/3 rule from nightmare, but even tighter with the bottom crop off more and thus more panaroma.
3. a even more centralised picture in your original (it is not centralised enough)
yes, everyone has their styles

i have a very strong preference for off-centre compositions, though i agree that they can work sometimes

in any case, i was thinking a centralised square crop with a hint of the mountain, the boat and the sun would be great as well

not so sure if the vertical crop would work - the sky here, to me, needs to be expansive

my fav? prob #4.
my second choice #2.

something of interest. the composition is simple, so that is all to it and all to it. it is hard to make it complicated and "more". but you can emphasise the factors inside, by making it tighter for example.

yes, everyone has their styles

i have a very strong preference for off-centre compositions, though i agree that they can work sometimes

in any case, i was thinking a centralised square crop with a hint of the mountain, the boat and the sun would be great as well

not so sure if the vertical crop would work - the sky here, to me, needs to be expansive

bosses,

looks like the 1/3 rules is still being prefered by most ppl.

anyway, did a portrait mode for the shot. looks like it bring a more impact on the title.....

2296217228_53a4920dce_o.jpg

jay the forever learning

well, i think all the versions work in one way or another, it just boils down to personal style i guess

i like the portrait version :)

I was thinking that erm..

if you could take the shot if you were standing far to your right. The the reflection of the sun will be at a diagonal down to the bottom left. and of course the boat's still in the rays. but it might be travelling more towards u than towards the right. then name this as "Coming Home" instead of 'going'. may create more impact as people can connect more with stuffing "coming home" than going home, elsewhere.

but yours is a good shot too! I also like the going home towards the land at right of photo part =D:thumbsup:

I was thinking that erm..

if you could take the shot if you were standing far to your right. The the reflection of the sun will be at a diagonal down to the bottom left. and of course the boat's still in the rays. but it might be travelling more towards u than towards the right. then name this as "Coming Home" instead of 'going'. may create more impact as people can connect more with stuffing "coming home" than going home, elsewhere.

but yours is a good shot too! I also like the going home towards the land at right of photo part =D:thumbsup:

bro,

thanks for the feedback and i get wat u mean.

but u forgotten 1 thing, the sun is round. no matter where u stand, the reflection will still be between u and the sun. hahahhahaha

sorry, doesn't mean to be mean. :embrass:

jay the killer

Status
Not open for further replies.