going HK. any comments on tigerairways/jetstar?

drumma

Jan 5, 2005
Oulu, Finland, Finland
www.wongliji.com
Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip to HK and was thinking if anyone could share their experiences with these 2 airlines. I've did some research and it was a mixed bag of reviews between the 2..
please also recommend if you know of any airlines that fly between SG to HK at a good price!

cheers!

I took jetstar 3 times, (2 times HKG-SIN vv and 1 time SIN-SGN vv)

So far so good in terms of its schedule. No delay.

Inflight nothing much to tell, but if you like to take photograph during inflight and the flight not full,
the flight attendant allow you to move around those preferred seats (paid seat) to take photograph thru plane window.

Cant comment on tiger as I haven't got any flight with them yet.

for a 3+ hr flight..... just focus on the price....... nobody flying on these 2 carriers bother about in-flight service

Jetstar flies from Terminal 1 and Tiger from Budget terminal.......... it will make a difference if you are getting to changi airport via MRT

The other significant difference is luggage allowance and how much it costs to check in X kg of luggage

cheapest is to book 2-3 months ahead

Last edited:
on budget air

rule number 1

never check in luggage. always hand carry a little bit only.

mentally write off your luggage and assume it WILL be lost if you check it in. budget air staff will totally NO HUE you if you phone in or try to find someone at the budget air office in the other country's airport, to help find your lost luggage.

never leave extremely valuable stuff in your check in luggage - don't tempt the airport luggage crew

if you have sickness don't try.
you may not survive waiting inside the plane as it is delayed for 4 hours sitting on the airport tarmac.

Last edited:
To Hong Kong, its always Jetstar for me.

No frills, no problems. Short and sharp.

thanks for the responses despite being 1st day of NY!
i don't really care about in-flight entertainment. it's a short flight. but i've been reading about cancelled flights from tiger, hence the concern. :)
oh yes, regarding the check-in luggage, anyone has any issues with it? the worse thing that can happen to me would be them losing my luggage! will be going to LHR after HKG!

thanks for the responses despite being 1st day of NY!
i don't really care about in-flight entertainment. it's a short flight. but i've been reading about cancelled flights from tiger, hence the concern. :)
oh yes, regarding the check-in luggage, anyone has any issues with it? the worse thing that can happen to me would be them losing my luggage! will be going to LHR after HKG!

True. In-flight entertainment may not be important for a trip to HK.
I just came back the week before X'mas. ;)

I took S.I.A but I heard Tiger are not so "reliable". Go for Jetstar.
It's better. :D

Jetstar for me because it departs from Terminal 1........ I can just take an MRT to T2 and a skytrain over to T1

And Jetstar for me as I really hate using the Budget Terminal ......... EVERYTIME arrive back in Singapore.... have to hike from one end to the other to get to immigration ..... AND THE TOILET

EVERY blardy time arriving flight must park at the farthest gate possible :thumbsd:

If you want to get there on time, or cannot accomodate unreasonable delays, don't fly Jetstar nor Tiger. Jetstar is a bit better than Tiger, but not much.

do look out for cathay pacific promotions... sometimes the price is about $80 more only (u get food and more comfort).

but if budget is very tight... i will choose Jetstar.

:)

I might be one of the lucky ones never to have any issues with budget airlines in the dozen or so times I have taken their flights.

For your question, I would choose Jetstar, if anything, I think their seats slightly more comfortable than tiger. :)

I've taken jetstar before, not much problems that time and the flight was on time both ways. The seat was surprisingly comfortable, I thought was supposed to be different from e.g. SQ, CX, etc.

I taake Cathay Pacific all the time, cos price is of course higher than Jet Star and Tiger, but only abit more for a more comfortable flight.

on budget air

rule number 1

never check in luggage. always hand carry a little bit only.

mentally write off your luggage and assume it WILL be lost if you check it in. budget air staff will totally NO HUE you if you phone in or try to find someone at the budget air office in the other country's airport, to help find your lost luggage.

never leave extremely valuable stuff in your check in luggage - don't tempt the airport luggage crew

if you have sickness don't try.
you may not survive waiting inside the plane as it is delayed for 4 hours sitting on the airport tarmac.
Just to save 15bucks or so, almost everyone bring to the max their hand carry luggage. Result - if you dun board early, you do not have any place overhead to store you bags. End up go to put my bag under the seat in front - uncomfortable for me, not able to stretch my legs.

Lost luggage - well, it happens to other airlines too. Buy insurance - that is very, very important, just for the peace of mind. Valuable items - not safe to check in, IMO, no diff between budget or full-fare.

Jetstar for me because it departs from Terminal 1........ I can just take an MRT to T2 and a skytrain over to T1

And Jetstar for me as I really hate using the Budget Terminal ......... EVERYTIME arrive back in Singapore.... have to hike from one end to the other to get to immigration ..... AND THE TOILET

EVERY blardy time arriving flight must park at the farthest gate possible :thumbsd:
We eat too much, exercise too little; We carry too much, check-in too little:bsmilie:

I might be one of the lucky ones never to have any issues with budget airlines in the dozen or so times I have taken their flights.

For your question, I would choose Jetstar, if anything, I think their seats slightly more comfortable than tiger. :)

Me too! Never had any bad experiences flying budget for the past 5 years but experienced delays with SQ & TG before. I'll take Jetstar to HKG anytime.. :)

I be going Hk this May. Taking Cathay. Only about 100 bucks diff if i were to take Jetstar.

Most probably travelling by Cathay, the plane will be Boeing 777.

Jetstar and Tiger Airways are mostly Airbus A320,330

came back from Phuket flew with Tiger last month..

my hardy suitcase (samsonite alike) has cracked/dented in 5 places one of them is one palm length long).. also includes pull-handle oso dropped out.. :cry::cry::cry: i just kissed my fav suitcase goodbye :cry:

the APS counter pple told me it's rush job. they only have 25 mins to unload the plane (who just arrived) and load our luagge up and fly again... all in 25mins.

Last edited: