Going Guang Zhou: Safe to bring DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisiang

Oct 3, 2004
Ho Chi Minh City
www.swog.sg
I'm flying off to Guang Zhou tomorrow. Heard the security there is bad.

Will it be safe if I bring my DSLR ? :sweat:

I'm flying off to Guang Zhou tomorrow. Heard the security there is bad.

Will it be safe if I bring my DSLR ? :sweat:

The place is well-known even among the Chinese themselves to have the worst security. If you don't need to bring along a DSLR, then don't.

i walked around the city and suburbs with a DSLR sling across my neck and a lowepro bag, no problem... (probably i got 1 muscle man, 1 old man, 1 chinese standing beside me, so rather safe)

but got a fren who got his cf card stolen at shenzhen thou... different trip, different area...

I received plenty of advice from friends and through other websites and decided to leave my camera at home. :what: better be safe than sorry.

For the benefits of those reading, the rest of China is perfectly safe to use a DSLR (I'm a veteran when it comes to Beijing, Shanghai) but for Guangzhou, it is considered crime ridden.

Things we took for granted like using handphone on the street or even in a taxi are considered a no no in Guangzhou :nono: :eek: :sweat:

stick CANENON for canon and NIKEKON for nikon....the theives willl think its fake...:bsmilie:

If people ask you where you are from...say you are from Fujian...dun be a hero and $ay you from $ingapore, and they will definitely try to make friend$ wif you...overcharge you and $tuff like dat. :bsmilie:

i have heard comments from a beijinger that in guangzhou, they will try to cheat those who can't speak cantonese.

I went around China with a DSLR almost always in my hands. If you really are paranoid, carry a blade where you can quickly access it. An important thing about knives is that if you don't disable him quickly it's very, very easy for the other person to force the knife from you and use it against you, so if you do need to use the blade make sure you stick it where it hurts, and before he knows what's going on.

Then you are really really silly. Pickpockets seldom operate alone.

You stick him? And you get arrested.

I don't know if you have been watching too much Hollywood flicks, but a disabling knife blow is harder to pull off than one that just plain kills the fella.

Do not forget, you are in a foreign country. Where asisstance from the police may well be next to zero.

I don't know if you have been watching too much Hollywood flicks, but a disabling knife blow is harder to pull off than one that just plain kills the fella.

Do not forget, you are in a foreign country. Where asisstance from the police may well be next to zero.

ya... if u never stab a person before, you may not be able to stab... not like in shows, can just see this guy stab another... in real life... unless you are seasoned stabber, else you will think for infinity before actually stabbing, or even just gliding it above his skin...

oh ya, knives u buy off the shelves are normally not sharp enuff for stabbing... and i dun think you can bring big long knives for stabbing everywhere...

Got a friend who travels in and out of Guang Zhou many times a year on business. He does not have any problems and is well connected to the locals there. So maybe got some "protection".
But then he is not keen on DSLR.

Well then, get your homies to carry one too

Not really, self defence. Trust, the police would rather believe your life was in danger and arrest some scumbag thief, rather than start a international relations problem by arresting a non-citizen

A disabling knife blow is meant to kill him. Stick him anywhere else that isn't immediately fatal and adrenaline overcomes the pain. Pissed off guy on an adrenaline high = not good. Hollywood flicks are stupid, they teach you to go for the jugular when its the worst place to go for. Raising your arms exposes yourself, and severing the jugular still gives him minutes before his brain dies of oxygen starvation. The best place to go for is the kidneys, at the side of the torso just below the ribcage. Any side will do. Damage to the nerve cluster there causes immediately trauma and IIRC, immediately stopping of the heart.

That's a good point, how big is the gang problem in China?

ya... if u never stab a person before, you may not be able to stab... not like in shows, can just see this guy stab another... in real life... unless you are seasoned stabber, else you will think for infinity before actually stabbing, or even just gliding it above his skin...

oh ya, knives u buy off the shelves are normally not sharp enuff for stabbing... and i dun think you can bring big long knives for stabbing everywhere...
Long knife? Need meh?

The weight of a 600mm crashing on another's head is enuff to cause concussion liaoz. ;p

You already emphasised the word disabling. Disabling != Fatal/Mortal

It's two quite different things. Anyway the point I am driving at is not to overly resist when you are alone and being robbed. a) you probably won't be able to save your stuff b) and you might well end up losing your life in the process of trying to do so.

Sure if it's a one-on-one you may have the upper hand if you're armed and the other guy isn't. But then again, you can never be sure if the robber doesn't already have two or three other guys waiting nearby. So the odds are always stacked against you.

Unless of course you really really value your belongings over your own life. And you think you possess more than sufficient training to take on multiple attackers. Good luck.

edit: oh by the way. I think you might be wrong about going for any place other than the neck when you're talking about using a knife in hand to hand combat. Too many things that may potentially get in the way of your knife. The neck is always exposed. And with a clean hit, it doesn't matter how pumped up the guy is, he is going down before he can touch you.

In my humble opinon.. if you do get robbed.... just hand the camera over. Your life is more important than the camera which you can buy back. If you piss the robber off, he might just decide to give u a few punches or worse a few stabs with his knife if he is carrying one.

As for carrying a knife and stabbing him etc... honestly.. do you really want to have the hassle of going to the station to explain why u stab the robber? Or worse if the fellow dies? Errr self defence is regarded as man slaughter in some countries and you sit in prison for it. So its not like in the movies, you stab the criminal, the police pats you on the back, the babes come and say you are a hero. In reality, you will be taken into custody, passport impounded pending investigation which may take weeks or months...

Hence just give up the camera and dont argue with the robber.

if i loose my DSLR in a place where i think its not safe, i'll stab myself 1st! :bsmilie:

That's a good point, how big is the gang problem in China?

In a place where even local gangs can get armoured personnel carriers, its better not to underestimate the power of their gang networks....:)

sidetrack:
was over in bejing for 2 mths and the leisure/professional photogs i encountered were simply plenty.......

Even in safe Singapore, people here would rather be a keyboard warrior in the comfort of their own home.

You're now asking them to carry a blade when overseas.

I went around China with a DSLR almost always in my hands. If you really are paranoid, carry a blade where you can quickly access it. An important thing about knives is that if you don't disable him quickly it's very, very easy for the other person to force the knife from you and use it against you, so if you do need to use the blade make sure you stick it where it hurts, and before he knows what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.